• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FYI... Ron Rivera did not play for the field goal on final drive

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Trying to burn some clock was the right thing to do.  There were nearly two minutes left, even if we make the fg, they still have time to get a td.  I do wish they had run the ball on second down (but of course hindsight is 20/20).  

Yeah, to me you either commit to burning clock or commit to attacking downfield.  That second play was neither. If you run for 2-3 yards you set up a 3rd and 5 and from there you have a much better chance of converting. The threat of Cam scrambling becomes much greater and the defense can't lock up receivers. 

1 hour ago, CBDellinger said:

The problem is Ron could pick red and you would want blue.   

Everyrthing isnt Rons fault.  If moton holds a block, Greg is getting and easy 1st or DJ and wright create a better mesh n the crossing route this game is easily won.  

if you go by his answers in his press conferences, nothing is Rivera's fault...ever.

What I like or don't like doesn't matter. The question is "Did it work?"

Going for two? Didn't work.

Going for the long field goal with lots of time left? Didn't work.

Any decision made against the Steelers? Didn't work.

Give me a rational, football based reason why Rivera should continue to coach this team. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

The thing about the choice to pass in that situation is that since it wasn't done successfully, we wound up leaving Seattle with plenty of time to win the game. On top of that, the missed field goal gave them great field position.

This goes back to something I've said before. When it comes to judgement calls like this, it's not that Rivera always makes the same mistakes. He's not necessarily always too conservative, nor is he always going for it at times when he shouldn't.

The problem just seems to be that whichever choice he makes all too often turns out to be the wrong one.

Mind you, it'd actually be easier to fix if it was always the same problem. You'd just have to switch to the opposite approach.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

It's because he is an idiot. Like a low IQ type of dude.

1 minute ago, mjligon said:

It's because he is an idiot. Like a low IQ type of dude.

Can't go that far.

Rivera isn't stupid. Heck, Rivera's not even a bad coach. He just isn't good enough.

When you measure him against opponents and contemporaries, Rivera just comes up wanting. I have zero faith right now that he's a guy who can lead us to Super Bowl championships in the current climate of the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

if you go by his answers in his press conferences, nothing is Rivera's fault...ever.

What I like or don't like doesn't matter. The question is "Did it work?"

Going for two? Didn't work.

Going for the long field goal with lots of time left? Didn't work.

Any decision made against the Steelers? Didn't work.

Give me a rational, football based reason why Rivera should continue to coach this team. 

Because Norv Turner is making progress with this offense and at this point I'm not sure we want a full regime change. Cam Newton is aging. I don't feel confident a new staff would make better use of Kuechley and Cam over the next 3 years. A new defensive coordinator and more young talent seems like an obvious fix at this point. Rivera looks a lot better when his players have the right mix of athleticism and intelligence. If this defense holds the Seahawks to 17 points like they could in the past, Rivera looks like a genius. 

Matt Kalil, Captain Munnerlyn, Vernon Butler, and Dontari Poe are just a few of the guys that should have given us more. That money/pick/roster space has been holding us back from getting quicker/younger on defense.

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

It was not Ron who cost us the game, it was Norv and his idiotic redzone play calling. Theirs no reason to take the ball out of Cam's hands down in the redzone when he led us down there.

^^THIS^^

I wish Cam would have went "Jim McMahon" and called the play from the line.  Example- "Okay, Norv wants us to go slugo X cross...but we're not going to run that stupid poo"

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

After re-watching the game I have concluded Ron Rivera did not settle for a field goal on the Carolina Panthers final drive.

Observe...

1st and 10

Read option. Cam Newton keeps the ball running it for three yards up the gut. Seahawks OLB makes a good play.

2nd and 7

Panthers in the shotgun. Greg Olsen comes open for what would have been a first down. Unfortunately, by that time Taylor Moton is beaten and Cam is under heavy pressure. Throws ball away. Would have been a first down if no pressure from Seattle.

3rd and 7

Panthers in shotgun again. Seahawks blitz. Crossing routes by Wright and Moore. Neither get much separation. Cam completes pass to Moore for 3 yards. Crossing routes were supposed to pick off Moore's defender so he could get more separation, but that didn't work out.

4th and 4 - Field Goal

The right call here, obviously. You have to try to go up by 3.

So, now that heads have cooled a bit, I admit I was wrong about that final drive. The Carolina Panthers did not play for the field goal. They did actually try for the first down.

Exactly what I said in the other thread that got attacked by the Rivera haters. I hope those folks come to the same reasonable conclusion that some of us don't need 48 hours to clearly see.

5 minutes ago, KendrickPanther said:

Because Norv Turner is making progress with this offense and at this point I'm not sure we want a full regime change. Cam Newton is aging. I don't feel confident a new staff would make better use of Kuechley and Cam over the next 3 years. A new defensive coordinator and more young talent seems like an obvious fix at this point. Rivera looks a lot better when his players have the right mix of athleticism and intelligence. If this defense holds the Seahawks to 17 points like they could in the past, Rivera looks like a genius. 

Matt Kalil, Captain Munnerlyn, Vernon Butler, and Dontari Poe are just a few of the guys that should have given us more. That money/pick/roster space has been holding us back from getting quicker/younger on defense.

We're due for a near top to bottom roster makeover next season. If you leave the current regime in place, you have Ron Rivera dictating what type of players we go after and Marty Hurney making the choices who to sign, draft, etc.

The results of next year's offseason are likely to reshape this team for the next several years.

Are you really willing to trust that level of change to Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney?

Putting the team in the hands of somebody who might fail probably sounds scary. To me though, putting it in the hands of someone who already has a history of failing is waaayyy scarier.

3 minutes ago, !stUp said:

^^THIS^^

I wish Cam would have went "Jim McMahon" and called the play from the line.  Example- "Okay, Norv wants us to go slugo X cross...but we're not going to run that stupid poo"

Except Cam admits that play calling and audibilizing is not his strong suit.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can't go that far.

Rivera isn't stupid. Heck, Rivera's not even a bad coach. He just isn't good enough.

When you measure him against opponents and contemporaries, Rivera just comes up wanting. I have zero faith right now that he's a guy who can lead us to Super Bowl championships in the current climate of the NFL.

It’s fair to question one’s intelligence in a situation such as this. Rivera has shown time and time ago that he is not capable of adapting. 

At first I thought he was simply unwilling to adapt but as time goes on it’s becoming more and more clear that he’s actually not capable.

And for that reason, questioning someone’s intelligence is fair.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

We're due for a near top to bottom roster makeover next season. If you leave the current regime in place, you have Ron Rivera dictating what type of players we go after and Marty Hurney making the choices who to sign, draft, etc.

The results of next year's offseason are likely to reshape this team for the next several years.

Are you really willing to trust that level of change to Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney?

Putting the team in the hands of somebody who might fail probably sounds scary. To me though, putting it in the hands of someone who already has a history of failing is scarier.

Given who we drafted this year and tried to get in free agency, yep I would. Hurney did a good job in the draft and getting guys like Clark for example when Matt Kalil went down. Hurney 2.0 has been pretty darn good. Better than your boy Gettleman.

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

It’s fair to question one’s intelligence in a situation such as this. Rivera has shown time and time ago that he is not capable of adapting. 

At first I thought he was simply unwilling to adapt but as time goes on it’s becoming more and more clear that he’s actually not capable.

And for that reason, questioning someone’s intelligence is fair.

I question the intelligence of posters who actually think that Ron doesn't adapt or keep saying the same thing over and over based on innuendo and opinion. 

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Given who we drafted this year and tried to get in free agency, yep I would. Hurney did a good job in the draft and getting guys like Clark for example when Matt Kalil went down. Hurney 2.0 has been pretty darn good. Better than your boy Gettleman.

You think this year's free agency crop shows competence? And Clark is your best example?

:)

I'd add that our draft success this year is essentially two guys. Nobody else is showing up. The one other guy who looked like he might has been stuck in the coach's doghouse for weeks.

Look dude, I get what your schtick is. You defended Mike Shula and Ken Dorsey to the death. Now you're gonna defend Rivera and Hurney the same way. You basically just pick whoever is unpopular and try to troll people with them. And you throw in "wall of text" replies to try to make it look meaningful.

Maybe that makes you feel like a big deal. Don't know. Don't care. I'm not bored enough to bother debating one of your attempted troll jobs today.

Archived