• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FYI... Ron Rivera did not play for the field goal on final drive

Jeremy Igo

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The thing about the choice to pass in that situation is that since it wasn't done successfully, we wound up leaving Seattle with plenty of time to win the game. On top of that, the missed field goal gave them great field position.

This goes back to something I've said before. When it comes to judgement calls like this, it's not that Rivera always makes the same mistakes. He's not necessarily always too conservative, nor is he always going for it at times when he shouldn't.

The problem just seems to be that whichever choice he makes all too often turns out to be the wrong one.

Mind you, it'd actually be easier to fix if it was always the same problem. You'd just have to switch to the opposite approach.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

The problem is Ron could pick red and you would want blue.   

Everyrthing isnt Rons fault.  If moton holds a block, Greg is getting and easy 1st or DJ and wright create a better mesh n the crossing route this game is easily won.  

I thought the play calls were fine. The biggest problem is that we have an overpaid worthless kicker. The biggest issue that Ron Rivera caused, is the fact that we have absolutely no cornerback depth past Donte Jackson and Bradbury. And the fact that we have not addressed this, is horrifying going into a very good passing attack for Tampa Bay.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

After re-watching the game I have concluded Ron Rivera did not settle for a field goal on the Carolina Panthers final drive.

Observe...

1st and 10

Read option. Cam Newton keeps the ball running it for three yards up the gut. Seahawks OLB makes a good play.

2nd and 7

Panthers in the shotgun. Greg Olsen comes open for what would have been a first down. Unfortunately, by that time Taylor Moton is beaten and Cam is under heavy pressure. Throws ball away. Would have been a first down if no pressure from Seattle.

3rd and 7

Panthers in shotgun again. Seahawks blitz. Crossing routes by Wright and Moore. Neither get much separation. Cam completes pass to Moore for 3 yards. Crossing routes were supposed to pick off Moore's defender so he could get more separation, but that didn't work out.

4th and 4 - Field Goal

The right call here, obviously. You have to try to go up by 3.

So, now that heads have cooled a bit, I admit I was wrong about that final drive. The Carolina Panthers did not play for the field goal. They did actually try for the first down.

So Norv with shitty play call design.

3 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I thought the play calls were fine. The biggest problem is that we have an overpaid worthless kicker. The biggest issue that Ron Rivera caused, is the fact that we have absolutely no cornerback depth past Donte Jackson and Bradbury. And the fact that we have not addressed this, is horrifying going into a very good passing attack for Tampa Bay.

Not sure how CB depth is Rivera's fault. Corn elder is young and cutting Munnerlyn would be costly. It's a shame that Cockrell broke his leg.

3 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

What does this have to do with Rivera? This is HURNEY ALL DAY KNOWING ENTERING THE SEASON WITH AN AWFUL SECONDARY

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

After re-watching the game I have concluded Ron Rivera did not settle for a field goal on the Carolina Panthers final drive.

Observe...

1st and 10

Read option. Cam Newton keeps the ball running it for three yards up the gut. Seahawks OLB makes a good play.

2nd and 7

Panthers in the shotgun. Greg Olsen comes open for what would have been a first down. Unfortunately, by that time Taylor Moton is beaten and Cam is under heavy pressure. Throws ball away. Would have been a first down if no pressure from Seattle.

3rd and 7

Panthers in shotgun again. Seahawks blitz. Crossing routes by Wright and Moore. Neither get much separation. Cam completes pass to Moore for 3 yards. Crossing routes were supposed to pick off Moore's defender so he could get more separation, but that didn't work out.

4th and 4 - Field Goal

The right call here, obviously. You have to try to go up by 3.

So, now that heads have cooled a bit, I admit I was wrong about that final drive. The Carolina Panthers did not play for the field goal. They did actually try for the first down.

Not complaining about your assessments  ,,  but here's  the BUT ..  On Seattles 4th and 3 ,  Russell throws a tying touchdown.. We'd blitzed had 6 rushing ,,  Seattle kept 7 ( and they all blocked lol ) people in to block, so Russell had time to pick the receiver that was open.

On our 3 rd down, they blitz ,  we didn't have enough bodies picking up blitz etc.. 

So if that's on Norv, so be it..  but had Cam had time to see an open Olsen,, the way he was passing, I  think we'd have moved the chains, and kept the clock moving..  

Woulda Coulda Shoulda ,,  Maybe we don't have a pass blocking scheme that keeps 7 in to block

1 hour ago, uncfan888 said:

I would have went for it on 4th down before trusting a kicker with the yips to kick a 53 yard field goal

There is obvious risk here, but it's also the play to truly "win" the game.  We knew kicking that FG Seattle was getting the ball back, much like Detroit last week.  We pick up that first down on 4th, we milk the clock, get a closer FG, prevent Seattle from getting a chance.  Ron trusted his garbage defense over his offense which was historically good on Sunday between Cam and CMC. 

Archived