• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FYI... Ron Rivera did not play for the field goal on final drive

Jeremy Igo

Heaven forbid we throw a pass short of the sticks, it’s not like we have any receivers with YAC ability...at least certainly not our top two receivers who combined for ~200 yards that game. Nope, that was Rivera just packing it in!! We should’ve just launched 3 bombs into the end zone like against the Redskins at the end of the game, I’m sure it would’ve worked out much better this time around. Then when we surely would’ve scored the touchdown, Seattle would’ve only had 2 minutes to score!

16 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Passing on 1-3 downs was the right play as Cam was near perfect in passing all game.   We did not have a good run game that day. 

We had a run game how do you think CMC got over 100 yds. It' that when they tried to run in obvious situations and just staring up the middle we got 1 or 2 yrs. This game was loss in playcalling. We ran on first down and passed twice both incomplete. I would have rather gotten 1st downs and kill playclock. Running routes short of 1st downs was not bright. Looks like we did nothing special to try to get a 1st down. Played it safe even though we passed just as long as we got into fg range. Even the 1st field goal Gano made was scary the snapped ball was on the ground just lucky the holder got it up in time. We ball small ball when we should play big ball. I just don' know Norv has not been that good in situational playcalling from what I have seen the last couple of losses. 

15 hours ago, panthers55 said:

That is when I started to turn against him. He could have continued the negotiations as Norman wanted to be here and once he got rescinded he fired his agent and asked to keep negotiating. Gettleman could have gotten a hometown discount and had no reason not to keep going. It wasn't like he used it to sign KK as was reported the reason we moved on. It was Gettleman getting even for Norman holding out and playing tough guy. He said screw you I win and then screwed the pooch not bringing in veteran corners and using rookies. The biggest drop ever from 15-1 to 6-10 in one year without your franchise quarterback being lost for the season.

Norman brought a rookie agent to the biggest contract negotiation of his life. I was surprised when Gman let Norman walk, but if you've ever been across the table from an absolute moron in a negotiation, sometimes that's the only option you're left with. Gettleman was probably too quick to rescind the tag, and Norman shouldn't have brought a rubber chicken to a gun fight.

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Norman brought a rookie agent to the biggest contract negotiation of his life. I was surprised when Gman let Norman walk, but if you've ever been across the table from an absolute moron in a negotiation, sometimes that's the only option you're left with. Gettleman was probably too quick to rescind the tag, and Norman shouldn't have brought a rubber chicken to a gun fight.

Truly Norman and his agent were unprepared and out of their league. My issue was after Gettleman rescinded the tag, Norman was shocked, fired his agent and asked to start over. Gettleman refused even when he now had leverage because he wanted to show everyone he had bigger balls and wanted to show everyone not to mess with him. But it screwed the fans and the team and was the biggest nail in Gettleman's coffin when we went from 15-1 to 6-10.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Truly Norman and his agent were unprepared and out of their league. My issue was after Gettleman rescinded the tag, Norman was shocked, fired his agent and asked to start over. Gettleman refused even when he now had leverage because he wanted to show everyone he had bigger balls and wanted to show everyone not to mess with him. But it screwed the fans and the team and was the biggest nail in Gettleman's coffin when we went from 15-1 to 6-10.

If I remember correctly, Gettleman had already filed the paperwork with the league. G's ego was definitely a problem, but it really should never have come to that to start with. 

10 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

If I remember correctly, Gettleman had already filed the paperwork with the league. G's ego was definitely a problem, but it really should never have come to that to start with. 

Even without the tag he could have continued to negotiate, he just wouldn't have exclusive rights and Norman was free to go elsewhere. But the point is Norman wanted to be here. All the bravado and quotes in the news which is what pissed off Gettleman came from his agent it would seem. Norman was shocked when the tag was rescinded because it is rarely if ever done unless their was a huge injury.

I think a big thing Ron was going for this game was trying to get his team to realize that they're a team to be reckoned with, despite the performances in the past 2 weeks. I think that's why he made some risky decisions throughout the game. You see it here with what Igo says, but also look at how Carolina went for the touchdown on their first offensive drive, rather than just taking the field goal.

Obviously his team didn't perform in these times, which is why they're currently so frustrated. I don't think it's a lack in confidence in Gano, the defense, or anything really. I just think that Ron really wants his team to see how capable they truly are, and he manifests this in making risky coaching decisions that provide his team a chance to prove themselves when it really matters. However, as we all know, they've poo the bed with a lot of these moments present themselves, and it's really cost them.

I still have faith, in Rivera and in the team. The team needs to start having faith for themselves.

I’m of the opinion that Rivera is very much out of his comfort zone. Primarily because, while he’s a good coach, he doesn’t have the capacity to be a flexible one, even when he knows he should be. Since he’s been here are offense looks substantially different. That’s by design, but he doesn’t have the capacity to work through all the nuisances with that change. Similar with the defense. It has changed also, but NOT by design. Primarily circumstance. But he’s not adaptable enough to handle the change effectively, particularly when it is his strength. The league has changed also. Completely out of his control, but especially problematic when it requires a change of philosophy on his part.

This is when frustration happens. When statistically and by philosophy we SHOULD win games, and all of a sudden we aren’t. It’s discouraging. It leads to a lot of second guessing, confusion on when to be aggressive and go for it and when to be conservative and not. This style is not his practice or his craft, and if we did not have great talent, it would make it easier to deal with. But mediocrity, 50/50, win some lose some will define this period with RR running the show. Because that’s what having great talent with a solid but not great coach who’s not quite sure which way to go looks like.

Anyone that thinks we was playing for that FG needs to go back and watch the game. Those play calls where good. However those red-zone calls where not. I like Coach Ron I have Faith in him but I wish he would fire Washington and take over the D. Sometimes they just look confused and losing Jackson hurt. 

Playing for the FG would have been 3 Runs back to back that could've worked but team wanted more. Just like last week gonna for 2 maybe it was a bad call but he put the ball in a player that he believes in and so do we had he made that throw or ran we would have won or have Fun not dropped 5 passes a 7 year old can catch we would have won. Coaches take some blame but these players are paid to make this simple plays. If he gets fired fine if he stays fine but Washington has to Go or be demoted back to DL he can't control the whole D.

Archived