• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are defensive head coaches a thing of the NFL past?

Jeremy Igo

Here's the issue, if this is the case, then at seasons end you'll have every NFL club with a new vacancy scrambling to hire the hot new offensive coordinator, but there's only so many of them, what if you don't get the best two or three. Would you rather hire the 6th best offensive coordinator or the best defensive coordinator to lead your team? I want an offensive head coach as well, it's something we've never had. I want to go hard at the top two or three candidates, but if we dont land them I dont want our new GM settling for the sixth best guy just because they happen to be offense.

Off the top of my head we would be the 2nd or 3rd most attractive destination... 1st would be GM, then us or the Browns funny enough, hopefully we'll be able to get who we want and not be fighting over scraps... 

Whoever we hire will be the coach that captains the tail end of Cam and Luke's prime, it's a big hire.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One side note: Given the cyclical nature of the NFL, if there's a young defensive coach out there who "cracks the code" and figures out a way to slow down and defeat the current crop of explosive offenses, that guy is going to be treated like a god.

Exactly, Ive given some thought about trying to zig while the rest of the league is zagging. The tough part is finding that guy.

It’s not so much offense or defense it’s conservative ball control vs. aggression.

Relying on timeouts, time of posession and field goals to win the game or build and offense specializing in a hurry up that only needs 90 seconds to score.

It’s mainly the difference to adapt, take advantage of mismatches vs. lining up your guys 1v1 and telling your guy to flat out beat the other instead of creating that mismatch (ex. Fox and Rivera).

A defense is always going to be neccessary, but adaptable and innovative coaches that also scheme to fit their personnel while exploting  mismatches by staying a step ahead by adjusting is going to be more successful nowadays whether it’s and offense or defensive coach. Rovera is not that type of coach.

Norv sounded like exactly this type of coach and shows flashes of it but still leans back on his roots and it shows.

26 minutes ago, Car123 said:

2017 Eagles had the 4th ranked D

2016 Patriots 8th ranked D

Both teams had a good balance.

Vikings had top 10 scoring offense and number 1 ranked scoring defense. Proceed to get super blown out against the number 1 offense

Then you had the 4th ranked D in Eagles vs 5th ranked Patriots in the SB, both defenses give up 18 pts for the year. Superbowl turns out to be 41-33

4 minutes ago, CamandLuke159 said:

Last season only 4 teams gave up more than 25ppg. So far this season its 15! Only 4 teams giving up less than 20...  none of them giving up less than 18.... the #1 defense Baltimore...... 

Who we thrashed... the league is crazy this year.

I wouldn't even be averse to a defensive head coach as long as he was (1) good at what he did at establishing as proficient a defense as possible, as well as (2) being open-minded to taking advantage of the NFL rules AS CURRENTLY ENFORCED on offense, and (3) being flexible with the ability to make in-game adjustments, and (4) being reasonably proficient at in-game management.

tenor.gif?itemid=7919962

As far as I can see, Ron Rivera fails qualifications #1 and #2 and #3 and #4.

Archived