• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What happened to Ian Thomas

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Thomas and Manhertz have nearly the season snap count on the season despite Thomas starting three games. That's because Manhertz has leap frogged him to the #2 spot. Manhertz played 12 snaps to Thomas' 2 last week.

Irrelevant.  They fulfill different roles.  Thomas is more of a receiver, Manhertz is not.  Manhertz double digit snaps all year except for the Philly and Washington games.  Thomas played nearly 80% of offensive snaps when Olsen was out, as soon as GO returned, Thomas's snaps dropped significantly.  Manhertz is a blocking tight end.  He has been all year, with or without olsen.  That is why he has only been targeted with two passes all year.  And his highest snap counts coincide in with games in which we ran the ball more.

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Irrelevant.  They fulfill different roles.  Thomas is more of a receiver, Manhertz is not.  Manhertz double digit snaps all year except for the Philly and Washington games.  Thomas played nearly 80% of offensive snaps when Olsen was out, as soon as GO returned, Thomas's snaps dropped significantly.  Manhertz is a blocking tight end.  He has been all year, with or without olsen.  That is why he has only been targeted with two passes all year.  And his highest snap counts coincide in with games in which we ran the ball more.

Do you realize that you just made my argument for me?

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Do you realize that you just made my argument for me?

Your argument was that Thomas's snap counts dropped because he made mistakes.  But its pretty clear
they dropped because Olsen came back.

You also said that Mannnhertz leapfrogged Thomas.  He didn't, they are exactly where they were at
before Olsen went out.  Nothing has changed.   Nothing really did change, except that Olsen got injured so Thomas played more for a few games. 

If you want to discuss two tight end sets, or seeing the other tight end as a receiving threat, imo
that is a different discussion.  

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They almost certainly aren't because they know that we simply don't see the #2 TE as a receiving option in our offense. That position is used almost exclusively as a blocker for us. That's on the staff, not the players. When I say "play Thomas" part of what I'm saying is stop treating the #2 TE position as an undersized 3rd OT. 

Dude, you are arguing vs. a head coach that believes predictability is a positive and a portion if the fan-base that agrees with him.

Good luck with that.

What is with this team? How can you have too many playmakers and yet struggle or cannot even beat 3 win teams. Either the OC is bad or being overruled by a bad coach at times. Its not that hard to see or figure out how to use these guys or when. We have poor coaching here and thats all it is. Funchess should be coming off the bench and they should have seen this during preseason. Our big guy is Greg but he is getting older. Cmc, Cam, Armah, and well  Anderson but he is gone now for the run game. Samuel, Moore, Wright, Torrey, Byrd, Funchess. Plus Greg which i dont know if he is being used properly or just doubled all the time.How can you struggle on offense with Cam as your QB?

Ian Thomas is a much better blocker than Greg. Actually Greg is a pretty horrible blocker, but we keep marching him out there asking him to do something he's just not good at. 

Manhertz does not offer the flexibility that Ian does, and his blocking appears to be marginally better at best - from what I see. I don't see Manhertz out there blowing folk off the ball every game. 

Ian can get open in the passing game, has reliable hands, and has YAC ability. Granted he hasn't been playing that long and needs to be coached up on the details of the position. But, he also needs game time reps to improve. 

The Panthers can't figure out how to get all of their playmakers on the field, while Drew Brees just threw 4 TDs to guys you've never heard of. So when a playmaker goes down for them, they'll keep on dropping 30+ a game. 

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it's just another example of Ron's stubbornness. Our #2 TE has always essentially been treated like an undersized third OT. Many of us thought that it may have simply been because we didn't have capable TEs behind Greg but now we do. But, we maintain our same old approach.

I haven't been in the "fire Ron" camp until the Steelers game, but I've finally accepted this team will never win the ultimate prize under Ron. The NFL continues to evolve and he 

Y'all want everyone to get all the targets. Stop and think about what is being suggested.  

Norv Turner calls the offense. 

Archived