• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What happened to Ian Thomas

Jeremy Igo

He really didn't look all that good. Indecisive route running, unwilling to use his body to shield/protect the ball against the defender when making contested catches, lacks the separation ability or route running ability to get open consistently. But he's a 4th round pick from a mediocre college program so not much can really be expected from him.

Yeah he's probably the future at the position but as long as Greg is good to go its hard to argue he should be out there more. Good to know it wouldn't be a disaster if something did happen to Greg though, like it would have been in years past. 

As long as ol' Third Leg is out there catching TD passes I am fine with him riding the pine for his first year.  Sure he will be fine learning the playbook the rest of the season and just throw him in the mix here or there ( this is if Greg stays healthy all year ).  With Samuel and Moore already needing more touches...well....id much rather them get those anyway.  Manhertz has been fine for what we have needed him for, blocking.  Our run game has been a bright spot this season and throwing this kid in there instead of Manhertz...not sure how well that would go for our run game.  I am sure he will be fine....maybe he is having trouble getting the playbook and those miscommunications could be detrimental to the teams flow.  

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He had a couple of miscommunications, one leading to an INT, and he got buried. It's just amazing how quickly young players can lose their opportunity with this staff while vets can make error after error after error and only lose their opportunity if they get hurt.

He lost his role because Olsen came back, what makes you think it had anything to do with errors? 

Who are you taking off the field for Thomas or are we just saying this to criticize the coaching staff?

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

You realize that Manhertz leap frogged him to the #2 TE spot, right?

Because he’s the better blocker unless you disagree?  Manhertz was always getting play time.  Thomas replaced Olsen’s spot as a receiver because Thomas > Manhertz receiving.  When Olsen came back, Manhertz’s blocking superiority became more important than Thomas’ receiving and thus we saw the field more. 

So do you think Thomas should replace Manhertz in our blocking packages?  If not, which receiving option should be taken off the field for Thomas?

And Manhertz barely plays more snaps.  It’d a minimal difference usually that can be explained by blocking.  Thomas has played more snaps this year. 

Unless y’all can name a player who should get considerably less snaps so Thomas can play more, then this is just an excuse to complain about the staff (again). 

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

Because he’s the better blocker unless you disagree?  Manhertz was always getting play time.  Thomas replaced Olsen’s spot as a receiver because Thomas > Manhertz receiving.  When Olsen came back, Manhertz’s blocking superiority became more important than Thomas’ receiving and thus we saw the field more. 

So do you think Thomas should replace Manhertz in our blocking packages?  If not, which receiving option should be taken off the field for Thomas?

I think it's just another example of Ron's stubbornness. Our #2 TE has always essentially been treated like an undersized third OT. Many of us thought that it may have simply been because we didn't have capable TEs behind Greg but now we do. But, we maintain our same old approach.

I haven't been in the "fire Ron" camp until the Steelers game, but I've finally accepted this team will never win the ultimate prize under Ron. The NFL continues to evolve and he doesn't. 

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He had a couple of miscommunications, one leading to an INT, and he got buried. It's just amazing how quickly young players can lose their opportunity with this staff while vets can make error after error after error and only lose their opportunity if they get hurt.

I think it far more likely that Olsen got healthy.  The snap counts correlate directly.  

Archived