• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Funchess not at practice today

Jeremy Igo

On 11/22/2018 at 1:07 PM, trucpfan said:

It seems like we don't expect much from our WR because we've lessened our expectations because we've given Cam garbage and he's basically took us to the super bowl we think wr isn't important or something. Prior to dropgate last week not even including that debacle. He's eclipsed a hundred yards once in the last 26 games. He closer to the worse then we'd like to admit he brings little value we could line a rookie up and get more out of him....oh wait nevermind. Outside of just yards let's go with impact plays separation created to make it easy on your qb. Or a basic stat yar or yac either. Now given his chances this year we've seen an abundance of drops last year game on the line effort given was abysmal, (flashback to Atl looks at Cam trust me Cam throws to the rookie into triple coverage which clearly says how much I trust you in week two) on to this game homecoming game a game his team needs to get on track just do your job...he left his game at his folks house ok kool. You have to tell me what he's actually good at so we can discuss I hope it's not blocking for his teammates bc I'll go find tape from this season of some straight asinine pooo (I sensored myself) what is it that he does well that keeps me from saying he's not one of the worse can anybody who PIED your post or you answer that just my honest thoughts.

Well, I'm sticking by what I said. I'm not going to go back and review every game where Funch made clutch catches and/or scored. That really should be unnecessary because, presumably, we've all watched the games. Now, sure, Funch had a terrible game. He did. But last season and even this season, drops weren't a major issue. Now Funch's hands have never been perfect, but what I am saying is that there is a distinction between?fan perception and the reality of how bad Funch's hands have actually been.

Now the thing about the yards, our offense has been geared towards the run and really spreading the ball around to a degree, so you can't just look at producing 100 yard games as the benchmark for a good receiver in our offense. Indeed, even most people kind of looK at a thousand yards in a season as kind of like a litmus test for the better receivers in the game. 63 yards per game is all it takes to reach that level.

Now, all that being said, I have come to the realization over the months this season that Funch is not a so-called number one receiver, but I can't say that there are more than 7-10 true WR1s in the NFL right now (but, of course, that's a matter of definition and expectation). But, he has been mostly a solid WR2 or 3. He can't help it if he was over-drafted, but he hasn't been dog meat. He's been better or on par with many receivers that some Huddlers regard higher because "the grass is always greener on the other side." Moreover, he can't help if coaches want to give playing time to him to the detriment of other more talented players or even the team. That's a coaches problem, not really a Funchess problem.

If Funchess expects to be paid big, then he'll just have to go, but if he is reasonable, then we could do worse. It just depends upon the direction we want to go. 

Doug Baldwin (groin) is questionable for Week 12 against the Panthers.

Baldwin didn't practice throughout the week, but an in-the-know Hawks beat writer speculated he was closer to probable. It's still a shame as Baldwin was finally over his lingering knee issues last week and buoyed that freshness into a 7/52/1 receiving line. If active, rank him as a serviceable WR2.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:01 AM, top dawg said:

Thanks for reason. Truly!

The Huddle leaves a lot to be desired, and is much worse a segment of the fan base than Funchess is a receiver (and I think Samuel and Moore need more playing time also, and don't believe that we should overpay for Funch's services). He isn't the best, but is far from the worse. Some of you are making valid points, but your memories still fall way too short in my opinion.

All I remember is the drops, they completely out weigh all the good things he has done.

Archived