• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More aggravating than the Funchess TD drop

Jeremy Igo

21 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

This is just complaining because it's cool to do so right now. There might be legitimate critique of Turner's play calling to be made but you certainly aren't one capable of doing it.

I think what Jeremy is trying to say is Funch isn't trustworthy, so the staff needs to stop treating him as if he's the number 1 guy designing plays just for him only. Which is definitely a legitimate critique of this offense.

38 minutes ago, beastson said:

That's Gettleman for you

I give him credit for CMC and Samuel though.

But why does Funch only know the position he plays. It's hindering us.

For shits and giggles take a look at the players taken after Funchess in the 2015 draft, especially WRs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NFL_Draft

It's a pretty awful draft class tbh.

42 minutes ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

giphy.gif&key=d9839515426c22981ac36124a4

It’s also bad play design , bringing Olsen all the way across was pointless. They should have flipped him to  Funchess side so he can create separation by running away from the defender & giving CAM a hi-lo option. 

Olsen comes across and brings 2 defenders to play him, leaving one on one for Funchess,..

so I disagree with you. Had Funchess caught the ball or another receiver was there and it was a touchdown, you would say “great play design”

If Greg goes the other way there’s 2 defenders on Funchess instead of 1.

12 minutes ago, beastson said:

I think what Jeremy is trying to say is Funch isn't trustworthy, so the staff needs to stop treating him as if he's the number 1 guy designing plays just for him only. Which is definitely a legitimate critique of this offense.

This is the “bad” play design— scheming Funchess open instead of having Wright there, or Moore. 

You see in the play, Greg coming same side draws 2 defenders, CMac going up the middle keeps a few there, leaves Funchess one on one,.. he should win— a better receiver catches that every time.

2 hours ago, Cuttinedge said:

I don’t like the fact in the red zone we call plays all the time with only one legitimate option to throw to. If that player falls or can’t get open it’s save us CAM mode. 

Regardless on his play funch is open and blows it.  ....again 

Yeh, could have had Wright peel out the other side

5 hours ago, PhillyB said:

i'm not worried about that as much. norv's offense is designed around deception and misdirection. letting the defense flow to one side of the field and going the other way has proven effective.

you can't ask for a better play design or throw. funchess is a fughead and by far the biggest problem in my opinion 

A smart GM would have traded him this off season to allow the young guys more time. Funchess is the last remaining WR of 2017 and honestly it shows. Moore, Samuel, and Wright are just better than him and at least Smith has hart. 

2 hours ago, JARROD said:

Olsen comes across and brings 2 defenders to play him, leaving one on one for Funchess,..

so I disagree with you. Had Funchess caught the ball or another receiver was there and it was a touchdown, you would say “great play design”

If Greg goes the other way there’s 2 defenders on Funchess instead of 1.

I'm not knocking the play design.

I'm knocking the decision to design it for Funchess.

57 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

That play would've been designed for Torrey Smith if he was active. Funchess would've been a decoy.

He’s not a very good decoy when he’s dropping 5 in his hands.  

Anyone else notice on the 2 pt conversion play where funch was ?

he was behind goal post  out of bounds. What play design calls for him to run a  route 3 yards past the end line 

6 hours ago, parker said:

Just for perspective.  In 2001, Steve Smith was a back up WR to Muhsin and Donald Hayes.  He had 20 targets that year and 10 catches.  I have liked Samuel since the pick, but he was mostly injured last year so this is like a rookie season for him.  He and Moore are definitely the future of the team.

Yeah, but surely you aren't comparing Devin Funchess and Torrey Smith to Muhsin Muhammad and Donald Hayes...

Archived