• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video: Ron Rivera on why he went for two

Jeremy Igo

People are getting hung up on the 2 point conversion as the end all be all. But what about the previously squandered offensive possession at a crucial point in the game? Punting instead of going for it on 4th and short with all this offensive talent in the 4th quarter when you've been moving on them at will in the uptempo is too big of a gamble? It was that decision after a few badly missed kicks which ultimately forced us into the scenario of having to go for 2. Rivera got outcoached by Matt Patricia whose team has been getting their asses largely handed to them by the rest of the NFL.

Didn't watch his presser; not going to. He just reminds me of Fox now. Not going to learn anything new. He doesn't say "it is what it is" but he's not really any more forthcoming than Fox. I just know that yesterday's game is the first time in a long time that I have decisively decided that I don't him to coach us anymore.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

It was the right decision but not executed well. They are not the same at all. The result doesn't mean the decision was wrong simply the result was a loss. If we tied it and they went down the field and kicked a field goal would that decision have been wrong too? Honestly I think it was the right call but executed poorly.

This is a results driven league, so yes, it does matter.  In the end, no one except perhaps a few of us will remember the debate over the call, just the results.  The odds of Gano missing two xp's was very slim.   Maybe they drive down for a fg, but converting a two doesn't decrease the odds of that happening.  In fact, it forces them into a situation where they have to go for it on fourth down, so it probably increases the odds of a drive for a fg ever so slightly.  

IMO, forcing a situation where winning or losing comes down to one relatively low percentage play is a mistake.  I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  

Fwiw, the real mistake was not trying to run a little time off the clock.  With a minute left and the Lions having three timeouts, we should have tried to run the ball at least once or twice, if for no other reason than to force them to call some timeouts.  

7 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

This is a results driven league, so yes, it does matter.  In the end, no one except perhaps a few of us will remember the debate over the call, just the results.  The odds of Gano missing two xp's was very slim.   Maybe they drive down for a fg, but converting a two doesn't decrease the odds of that happening.  In fact, it forces them into a situation where they have to go for it on fourth down, so it probably increases the odds of a drive for a fg ever so slightly.  

IMO, forcing a situation where winning or losing comes down to one relatively low percentage play is a mistake.  I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  

Fwiw, the real mistake was not trying to run a little time off the clock.  With a minute left and the Lions having three timeouts, we should have tried to run the ball at least once or twice, if for no other reason than to force them to call some timeouts.  

The result matters but it doesn't negate the decision. They are totally different. And making the 2 point conversion is not a low percentage play. So far in 2018 teams are converting 2 point conversions at 60% .

Here is an article discussing the merits of going for it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2018/10/09/nfl-season-two-is-new-one/

And no you don't try and run clock with only one time out needing a touchdown on the road. You score when you can. Sure the absolute best play is score a TD with no time on the clock for the win but that is cutting it too close. Nope, it was the right call but not the right result.

3 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Its a 1-yard difference but, again, you try to compare two situations which are incomparable.

The 2-yard conversion was at the 2-yard line with the defense having only to defend the end-zone and the team 1 point behind.  Failure means losing the game.

The 1-yard conversion was (as you pointed out) at the 21 yard line with the defense having to defend the entire red-zone plus a QB sneak with the team 3 points ahead.  Failure means the team is still 3 points in the lead.

Its stunning to me how someone has to point out to you that these two situations are in no way, shape, or form, comparable.

You’re right about the Bills game, which is why I also brought up the Falcons game.  Failure in the Falcons game means the Falcons get a super short field to drive to get in field goal range and win the game, and yet people still hated that we punted.  Similar scenario.  It was play for OT or be aggressive and go for the W.  

21 hours ago, Camvp said:

The playcall was right and was executed nearly flawlessly, if our QB could make a peewee football pass to a wide open receiver it would have worked too.

Fact is between this and the failure after Moore's big run, the team got Bad Cam today

Yeah okay 

Archived