• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Torrey Smith is at practice today.

Jeremy Igo

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm ready to see Moore and Samuel get the ball this weekend.  They have only had one ball I believe in a dome this year.  Dome ball is all about playmakers like them.  Not old school Panther ball. That one ball was Moore's effortless 50 yard TD. 

I can agree with that. It's a lot more entertaining when play makers like those two have the ball in their hands. 

56 minutes ago, CRA said:

and really you have to include Samuel.  They both matter.  They need Smith's reps. 

Week after Baltimore Moore still accountable for more yards than Smith did in every game he has played but 1. So did Samuel. 

Moore and Smith are both more dynamic and that isn't close.  Especially in an offense that doesn't include several deep verticals a game.  Which is pretty much the only thing in Smith's career has had stood out doing. 

and yeah, that game with the TDs was scheme.  Even Smith admitted it.  As Smith said, every time Norv dials that  one up, that particular route is always wide open.  If the route is always wide open.  That is scheme/playcalling. 

I am sorry dude, but DJ is a better playmaker, than he is a WR. At least at this point. He just makes too many mistakes, still. So yeah, at this point in time, Torrey is a better WR than DJ. 

I like how you use scheme to dis on Torrey. Does not DJ play under the same coach? Should not the scheme help DJ as well? Yet DJ is still having trouble. Funny how that works.

17 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I am sorry dude, but DJ is a better playmaker, than he is a WR. At least at this point. He just makes too many mistakes, still. So yeah, at this point in time, Torrey is a better WR than DJ. 

I like how you use scheme to dis on Torrey. Does not DJ play under the same coach? Should not the scheme help DJ as well? Yet DJ is still having trouble. Funny how that works.

What can the offense use more of? A better playmaker or a vet WR whose specialty is the one route we don't even throw? Answer is pretty easy.  

O looked better overall in games with Smith in the line up or out?  2 of the 3 Smith was out of the O looked great.  One game it didn't was all OL imploding the O. 

and again, I'm advociting not just Moore takes Smith's reps but a combo of Smith and DJ.  Heck even Wright.  

If you divide the snaps out......Moore, Samuel and Wright.....need more than Smith. Smith can still play but he logged way too many snaps before his injury.  Fun, Moore, Samuel and Wright need to all be mixed in more heavy than Smith. 

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

What can the offense use more of? A better playmaker or a vet WR whose specialty is the one route we don't even throw? Answer is pretty easy.  

O looked better overall in games with Smith in the line up or out?  2 of the 3 Smith was out of the O looked great.  One game it didn't was all OL imploding the O. 

and again, I'm advociting not just Moore takes Smith's reps but a combo of Smith and DJ.  Heck even Wright.  

If you divide the snaps out......Moore, Samuel and Wright.....need more than Smith. Smith can still play but he logged way too many snaps before his injury.  Fun, Moore, Samuel and Wright need to all be mixed in more heavy than Smith. 

DJ can add some excitement, that is a given. But he still needs plenty of coaching up. He is a gimmick player, not a WR. That will probably change down the road. But it is true at this point in his career.

Curtis needs more snaps. DJ needs more time. Wright can help right now. Funch can help right now. And Torrey can help right now.

And Torrey is much, much more than just a one trick pony. It really is weird seeing folks diminish his accomplishments, just to prop up a rookie who is struggling. But hey, that's what us fans do. 

3 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Partially agree. 

I haven't looked up the stats but it feels like Moore's best plays have a tendency to come on reverses or gadget plays rather than passes. Thus the "more playmaker than receiver" description kinda fits.

The saying that he looks great once you "get the ball in his hands" is correct.  I'd just prefer that process involved more passing.  Teams that are watching film on us are gonna start sniffing out those reverses and such (the Steelers did).

Now with that said, even given the above I can't justify elevating Torrey Smith above the number four spot.  Samuel, Funchess and Moore should all be options before Smith.

Torrey has contributed heavily to us winning some games, and was getting red hot when he got hurt.  The question will be is he still ready for action or has he gone cold again?

I mean the guy was on fire there at the end, caught almost everything that came his way, and was the lone target on one of our crucial touchdown drives, 2 point conversion included.

So the hate of the guy should be gone.  

Smith has been the punching bag since week 1 but in reality I agree with what Rivera was saying, gotta ease him in so the mental errors aren’t being made as frequently. Dj Moore a better playmaker at WR but smith is the veteran presence you need when playing some of the better teams that punish you for making small errors. Torrey and Wright don’t get enough credit imo 

14 hours ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Smith has been the punching bag since week 1 but in reality I agree with what Rivera was saying, gotta ease him in so the mental errors aren’t being made as frequently. Dj Moore a better playmaker at WR but smith is the veteran presence you need when playing some of the better teams that punish you for making small errors. Torrey and Wright don’t get enough credit imo 

I got zero beef with Wright.  It isn't just about Moore vs Smith. It is about Moore, Samuel and Wright all 3 are needed in the WR rotation more and Smith when he was healthy took too many reps. 

Smith is the kind of receiver on your team to come up with big time clutch catches. We need him. But he should not be starting. He has a role that can serve this team best and my only hope is that since Torrey has been out, norv now knows what we have. And will now use Torrey accordingly. He’s a great receiver to have, just need to define his role better.

Archived