• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Torrey Smith is at practice today.

Jeremy Igo

No, this team does not need him on the field, in the locker room, sure.  After the thrashing by Pitt, we should turn our entire focus on developing the young guys because there is a 0.01% chance we are playing for the SB this year.  Let's get either DJ Moore or Curtis Samuel in the topic of best WRs in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, CatTower said:

No, this team does not need him on the field, in the locker room, sure.  After the thrashing by Pitt, we should turn our entire focus on developing the young guys because there is a 0.01% chance we are playing for the SB this year.  Let's get either DJ Moore or Curtis Samuel in the topic of best WRs in the NFL.

Loser mentality. Winning seasons aren't guaranteed and wildcard teams have made the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, HornetsSting said:

I don’t get the hate for Torrey, I know DJ Moore has shown flashes but DJ to Torrey isn’t as big of a downgrade as many here think

It’s just confirmation bias.  Smith put up some solid last 2 games, showing up on clutch drives, but nobody cares.  Moore has done nothing at WR (not saying he’s bad, love the guy but he needs more time) with Smith out sans the Ravens game.  Starting Smith isn’t nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

5 minutes ago, Mage said:

It’s just confirmation bias.  Smith put up some solid last 2 games, showing up on clutch drives, but nobody cares.  Moore has done nothing at WR (not saying he’s bad, love the guy but he needs more time) with Smith out sans the Ravens game.  Starting Smith isn’t nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

Um, Moore's Baltimore game was better than anything Smith has done this season.   and yes, it was better than the 2 TD game.  That wasn't great WR play.  That was great scheme and playcalling.  Smith did nothing but catch wide open short drag routes. 

DJ Moore has legitimately made more plays than Smith this season.   Logging a TD doesn't make that great play by a WR. 

Moore and Samuel have both proven to be dynamic playmakers.  Ones that aren't getting enough touches.  Smith just has shown he doesn't deserve the reps he has gotten.  Simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Um, Moore's Baltimore game was better than anything Smith has done this season.   and yes, it was better than the 2 TD game.  That wasn't great WR play.  That was great scheme and playcalling.  Smith did nothing but catch wide open short drag routes. 

DJ Moore has legitimately made more plays than Smith this season.   Logging a TD doesn't make that great play by a WR. 

DJ also missed a big block on a Cam run that would have lead to a TD a couple games back. DJ also has lined up incorrectly causing Cam to call unnecessary time outs. That will all iron itself out over time but it's not always about making plays with the ball in your hand. No one pays attention or notices those things but little mistakes like that can cost a team games. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

DJ also missed a big block on a Cam run that would have lead to a TD a couple games back. DJ also has lined up incorrectly causing Cam to call unnecessary time outs. That will all iron itself out over time but it's not always about making plays with the ball in your hand. No one pays attention or notices those things but little mistakes like that can cost a team games. 

okay....do I need to list all the disappointing things Smith has done this year game by game? 

Bottom line, is Moore is a unique playmaker.  He has proven that.  So is Samuel.  Smith isn't.  Smith never was.  Smith was a dude who could run one route in his career.  The vertical.  And Cam isn't throwing it. 

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

Moore and Samuel have both proven to be dynamic playmakers.  Ones that aren't getting enough touches.  Smith just has shown he doesn't deserve the reps he has gotten.  Simple as that. 

And what did Moore do in the 2 weeks following the Ravens game?

If you’re trying to argue Moore > Smith, I won’t disagree.  But I do disagree with the notion that there’s a huge difference between the two.  Moore has been more dynamic between the two, of course, but overall it’s not like he’s getting open at a higher rate than Smith despite getting plenty of snaps in Smith’s absence.

Moore should continue to start ahead of Smith, but personally I wouldn’t consider it some terrible move to start Smith either.  And Smith getting himself open as Cam is getting whacked and getting YAC to put us into scoring position is not “all scheme”.  Give him some credit.

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

And what did Moore do in the 2 weeks following the Ravens game?

If you’re trying to argue Moore > Smith, I won’t disagree.  But I do disagree with the notion that there’s a huge difference between the two.  Moore has been more dynamic between the two, of course, but overall it’s not like he’s getting open at a higher rate than Smith despite getting plenty of snaps in Smith’s absence.

Moore should continue to start ahead of Smith, but personally I wouldn’t consider it some terrible move to start Smith either.  And Smith getting himself open as Cam is getting whacked and getting YAC to put us into scoring position is not “all scheme”.  Give him some credit.

and really you have to include Samuel.  They both matter.  They need Smith's reps. 

Week after Baltimore Moore still accountable for more yards than Smith did in every game he has played but 1. So did Samuel. 

Moore and Smith are both more dynamic and that isn't close.  Especially in an offense that doesn't include several deep verticals a game.  Which is pretty much the only thing in Smith's career has had stood out doing. 

and yeah, that game with the TDs was scheme.  Even Smith admitted it.  As Smith said, every time Norv dials that  one up, that particular route is always wide open.  If the route is always wide open.  That is scheme/playcalling. 

3 hours ago, Growl said:

This team desperately needs the kind of hunger and energy that Moore and Samuel provide.

Sadly its pretty obvious how this is gonna go.

While we're on the issue, its time for Marquis Haynes to get a jersey. This team sorely needs that kind of velocity off the edge.

I have to disagree with Haynes getting a jersey.  He cannot stop the run at all right now and struggled rushing the passer in the Atlanta game.  I understand where you're coming from though, because Peppers playing full time is concerning.  I like Brian Cox Jr, who can play the run and has a good motor for pass rushing.  Like CJ though, he gets minimal snaps.  I really just hope the defense plays better down the stretch.

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

okay....do I need to list all the disappointing things Smith has done this year game by game? 

Bottom line, is Moore is a unique playmaker.  He has proven that.  So is Samuel.  Smith isn't.  Smith never was.  Smith was a dude who could run one route in his career.  The vertical.  And Cam isn't throwing it. 

If you feel the need go right ahead. I'm just going off some recent interviews I have heard with Moose and Steve Smith when they were discussing the pros and cons of getting the young guys more touches at the expense of a vet like Torrey Smith being on the field. 

I'm ready to see Moore and Samuel get the ball this weekend.  They have only had one ball I believe in a dome this year.  Dome ball is all about playmakers like them.  Not old school Panther ball. That one ball was Moore's effortless 50 yard TD. 

Archived