• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which Carolina Panthers truly deserve a pro bowl vote?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I honestly can only think of two at the moment.

Cam Newton

CMC

As much as it pains me to say, Luke just hasn't been very Kuechly like.

Perhaps Gano should be in the discussion?

Has anyone stopped to analyze how the loss of Star has affected the play of both Short and Luke? Everyone reacts as if Luke as lost a step or is simply not filling gaps like he used to, but since Star has moved on Luke hasn't been kept clean. Short has also been receiving double teams and Poe has generated almost no interior push.

@Saca312 or someone who has time or expertise to complete the analysis quickly should go back and determine if Luke's play is the result of him playing differently, play calling, or the departure of Star. Luke definitely hasn't lost a step. Against Pittsburgh I saw an open lane from the middle to the sideline and Luke met the running back after a gain of only two. The difference in the play was that he was kept clean.

I also take issue with constantly using Luke to blitz on Third Down in Pittsburgh when they continuously ate up the middle of the field on third down, which is where Luke would've been defending. I understand that Peppers had a PBU, but sending Luke and dropping Pep is just 50 different shades of incompetent. Perhaps move Pep inside with Star and add an extra pass rusher on the edge on third down rather than sending Luke everytime. 

Blaming Luke for his perceived drop off is a gross oversimplification. If anyone wants to disprove this hypothesis, the data is out there. 

2 hours ago, panthermonium said:

I'll respectfully disagree.

I can get on board with the front 4 not letting the LB's play clean and he's getting chewed up a bit. Which is not letting him flash what he can do. IMO however, he doesn't attack the game like he use to from a physicality standpoint. Still has all the tools and ability. That hasn't gone away. I just see him more times than not meet a runner head on and almost try to shed some of the impact. Which usually results in him arm tackling and throwing guys to the ground. I don't see a lot of drive and drag from him AS MUCH. Not saying this is an every play occurrence with him.

Honestly I see Luke out of place and missing tackles more than I see him arm tackle anyone. That's the biggest difference, and I think that's partly due to concussion fear and partly due to bad scheme. Luke Kuechly should not be playing base zone. And yet we make him do it. He's always been better in man coverage (as has our entire defense). 

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

someone who has time or expertise to complete the analysis quickly should go back and determine if Luke's play is the result of him playing differently, play calling, or the departure of Star. 

Luke has regressed. I think largely as a result of him trying to be more cautious with himself + general trend of offenses all being complex and largely unbeatable. 

Cam

CMC

Jackson

Luke (yeah, he has been down a notch this year but I can't name 3 better in the NFC this year.  Not up to the Luke standard in 2018 but he still meets Pro Bowl standard)

Gano (longest kick on the year and perfect on FGs)

That's it. 

5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Luke has regressed. I think largely as a result of him trying to be more cautious with himself + general trend of offenses all being complex and largely unbeatable. 

DT play in front of Luke has taken a big step backwards this year.  That impacts the magic he can work. 

Star was drastically underrated.  Best overall DT we had.  He just wasn't in the business of the having the fancy job KK did.  Which gets the hype and love. 

Archived