• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cameron Newton to bounce back Sunday?

Jeremy Igo

52 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Obviously I agree that ultimately it boils down to the Cam, and Luke show. They've been bailing out this staff for years. 

But let's dispense with the pleasantries if we're just letting it all hang out. We are nearly a full decade into the Ron Rivera era. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever to get beaten that badly along the DL, and in the secondary. If it's a result of Washington being in over his head, well that's on Rivera. It was Ron who decided to bypass interviewing even one person outside of our own staff for the DC vacancy. That is on him.

pretty sure Ron has show before that he gives his DCs rope and if the job doesn’t get done....he steps into a bigger role in those meetings. 

I think we see some real defense this week.  Ron ain’t gonna sit back after Pitt and let that continue.  We have enough talent for that not to be okay. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

pretty sure Ron has show before that he gives his DCs rope and if the job doesn’t get done....he steps into a bigger role in those meetings. 

I think we see some real defense this week.  Ron ain’t gonna sit back after Pitt and let that continue.  We have enough talent for that not to be okay. 

Ron should have already been alert to this issue after watching the Giants put up 31 points against this defense. If anything that experience should have already had him heavily involved against a team like Pittsburgh in primetime. Hell, the Steelers hung 39 points on us in the preseason too.

2 hours ago, Car123 said:

That was the only play you could say that he screwed up. It was the right play anyway. Better to give up 7 points than 9.

2 does not automatically turn to 9, bad logic to just give them 7.

Not like it matters, they scored 52 points at the end of the day.

We marched right down the field and scored a touchdown on our opening posession. Wasn't that the first time we had done that this season? It baffles me that more isn't made of just what giving up that insane long touchdown on the very first Steelers offensive play meant to the rhythm of our offense on top of getting backed up to their own goal line immediately after that Steelers touchdown. The Steelers adjusted after we scored, they set the tone. Our coaching staff had absolutely no answers or adjustments. But Cam threw a pick six!

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

We marched right down the field and scored a touchdown on our opening posession. Wasn't that the first time we had done that this season? It baffles me that more isn't made of just what giving up that insane long touchdown on the very first Steelers offensive play meant to the rhythm of our offense on top of getting backed up to their own goal line immediately after that Steelers touchdown. The Steelers adjusted after we scored, they set the tone. Our coaching staff had absolutely no answers or adjustments. But Cam threw a pick six!

I agree although I think the two plays after the JuJu bomb were more critical. 

First, we took the ball out of the end zone and wound up on the 11. Then Norv gets cute with a blind roll out to Watts side and nobody blocks him. Couple that with Cam making a rookie type throw and the avalanche started. 

That game was lost on three consecutive plays. We took the air out of that stadium only for the Steelers to completely regain everything in three plays. 

8 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

I agree although I think the two plays after the JuJu bomb were more critical. 

First, we took the ball out of the end zone and wound up on the 11. Then Norv gets cute with a blind roll out to Watts side and nobody blocks him. Couple that with Cam making a rookie type throw and the avalanche started. 

That game was lost on three consecutive plays. We took the air out of that stadium only for the Steelers to completely regain everything in three plays. 

Cam tried to make a play. If there's anything I can be critical about toward Cam at this stage beyond letting the ball sail on him sometimes, it's that at times he tries too hard to make a play. That was him trying too hard. I believe he was trying to get it to CMC wasn't he?

Anyway. That drive resulting in the pick six is precisely the sort of playcalling that has gotten us in trouble over the years. The other team has the momentum. You're on the road in a very tough venue to win in, and you're backed up toward your own goal line. Why the hell aren't we running the ball? At the very least quick passes. You saw how efficient the offense started to look again when we went back to the uptempo. The sad and very harsh truth that Panthers fans have to grapple with isn't whether or not Cam can get it done. It's whether or not Cam can win us a championship in spite of our staff displaying a penchant for holding us back.

6 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Yeah don't exactly know what Cam would bounce back from.  He had one bad play....literally one. 

And if you think about it the interception thrown it was a good one cause it would have been a safety and they would have gotten 9 instead of 7 . Our defense couldnt stop anyone. So I'm not mad about the interception.

Archived