• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Black helmetz for realz?

Jeremy Igo

16 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

You're not allowed to change shells.  You can change the look of the helmets.  Aka, how teams do "throwback" helmets and such. 

Granted, a longshot we do it...but with our roulette of uniform combos this year, I could see it. 

I might be wrong but I think they use Decals for the throwbacks(Example the LA Rams horns from white to gold)

6 minutes ago, luke nukem said:

I might be wrong but I think they use Decals for the throwbacks(Example the LA Rams horns from white to gold)

Yeah most teams only swap the decals and facemasks, but it's been done before (no clue how).  Tampa Bay's throwbacks changed primary colors, Eagles have done it, Falcons wore red helmets before.  Maybe other examples as well.  Rare...but can be done. 

The helmets are painted shells with decals for everything else, so "alternate" helmets are the same base with different or totally removed graphics like the all yellow Packers alternates. 

That being said, do the rules say anything about not being able to change the color of the helmet, or the actual physical helmet?  It's totally feasible that they could be painted between games to change the color, but I've always thought it strange that they'd have to use the same helmet all season after taking so many collisions through out the season.  Almost seems like you'd want to change to a new helmet every couple of weeks to make sure the outer shell's integrity hasn't been compromised.

Archived