• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a reaction thread - Washington may very well be fired

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Seltzer said:

Lol at these people acting like Rivera doesn't know defense... Rivera may have his flaws, but he knows defense...

It reminds me of the Sopranos... Some of you just want to see somebody get whacked... and while something might need to be done, it ain't Rivera.

This team is still 6-3... the Steelers embarrassed Atlanta in Pittsburgh too... This loss sucks, but this team still has potential.

But fixing the defense is certainly necessary... And I trust Rivera to do that... Our personnel is not perfect, but the biggest issue by far is play-calling, and making a move at this point is totally justified

Good post. Panthers win the next two games everyone will be back to screaming super bowl. 

You aren’t ever as bad as you think you are and you are never as good as you think are, either. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't necessarily think Rivera will fire Washington. Someone else might but I don't believe Rivera will.

But let's suppose he did, and he chose not to call the defense himself.

Have you guys thought about who might be elevated to the DC job in that case?

Consider for a moment that our previous two defensive coordinators were both secondary coaches.

Ron probably promote richard  Rogers. That dudes Teflon sucks at every job he’s had but keeps getting promoted 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't necessarily think Rivera will fire Washington. Someone else might but I don't believe Rivera will.

But let's suppose he did, and he chose not to call the defense himself.

Have you guys thought about who might be elevated to the DC job in that case?

Consider for a moment that our previous two defensive coordinators were both secondary coaches.

Then Ron hangs himself and the entire organization gets blown up this off-season. If he's dumb enough to promote Richard Rogers he deserves to get fired.

Just now, PantherNation123 said:

I'm honestly not sure Ron could do this anymore.  His mental capacity seems to have continually gotten worse over the years, and I'm not sure if it's related to his time as a LB or what.  There just isn't much of him in there.  Obviously would still be better than Washington, but his in-game adjustments would be essentially non-existent 

Sometimes you have to give a guy enough rope. Ron is a defensive coach and this defense sucks. If he can't fix it then it might be time for us to move on.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

His only comment about the D at halftime was that they had to stop giving up big plays over the top. No Ron, that wasn't the problem. The problem was that they did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted however they wanted and we couldn't even come close to stopping any of it. But all he saw was that we gave up some big plays, so back those DBs off!

They were already off 12 yards on the bomb to JUJU.... 

Rivera is not a precision guy. Not a perfectionist at all. He’s always SEARCHING for good enough. Things have to go pretty bad for him to upset his own status quo. That will continue to be our problem. We have to regularly overcome him being a day late and dollar short. The idea that you lose a DC in back-to-back years and don’t even really go out and look for another speaks so much to it. A precision guy (even one who is a defensive coach) looks at a vacancy as an opportunity to perfect the craft, not just “maintain.” Same with why it took so long to fire Shula. He pretty much had no choice and oh look, we get a real OC and Ray Charles can see the improvements.

Getting Norv Turner DESERVED Rivera ensuring the defense didn’t take a step back. But it did because that’s the most telling sign of a mediocre coach at best. One constantly chasing one side of the ball or the other to be better. It’s rare they ever get both maxing at the same time and it always goes back to decisions being made too late or simply wrong for the sake of not truly trying to be the best.

Archived