• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not a reaction thread - Washington may very well be fired

Jeremy Igo

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Not sure why Ron could not call the defense. It's not like Norv needs his help.

Which is exactly why you can’t fire the DC without firing the HC. Ron said from DAY 1, defense is what he knows and that’s where he’d spend his time on that side of the ball. 

The DC can be complete trash, but we need to stop making him the scape goat with a head coach that prides himself on defense. This isn’t like Shula where we knew Ron had no answers for offense. He got his job based on his performance as a defensive coordinator. To be a defensive guy and to have no answers on defense all night long is a head coaching failure, not just a defensive coordinator. 

3 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I'm not saying we shouldn't get rid of Washington... I  just wonder who we bring in better at this point and whether keeping him and having Ron call the plays is an option, especially if that means ceding complete control of offense to Norv.

In no way do I not think we can continue as is after this debacle

You bring in no one. It would be a different story if we were talking about the offense, but Rivera is a defensive coach. He takes over defensive play calling duties. 

2 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Which is exactly why you can’t fire the DC without firing the HC. Ron said from DAY 1, defense is what he knows and that’s where he’d spend his time on that side of the ball. 

The DC can be complete trash, but we need to stop making him the scape goat with a head coach that prides himself on defense. This isn’t like Shula where we knew Ron had no answers for offense. He got his job based on his performance as a defensive coordinator. To be a defensive guy and to have no answers on defense all night long is a head coaching failure, not just a defensive coordinator. 

Yeah the real blame lies with ron.. and he will use washington as his fall guy if he has to, but only until he really really has to do it coz loyalty!

Just now, AceBoogie said:

Because it’s his defense and the defensive coordinator doesn’t really matter. Why can’t y’all understand that. 

I am agreeing with you.. but ron does show some really ridiculous loyalty to those who do not deserve it.

The biggest problem on D to me is that the plays and scheme are all designed on the basis of the front 4 getting home often. We seem so reliant on front 4 pressure. As a result, the DB's play off in order to react better and keep everything in front of them. Major problem with this: We can't constantly pressure with 4. QB has a clean pocket, and we get picked apart. Coupled with quick slants destroying us virtually every game, and you have a bad scheme.

Then again, don't we theoretically have the talent on the front 4 to get pressure constantly? Where's the adjustments? Creative blitzes designed to get home quickly and disrupt the timing?

1 minute ago, AceBoogie said:

Because it’s his defense and the defensive coordinator doesn’t really matter. Why can’t y’all understand that. 

Running Rivera's overall defensive philosophy is not the same as doing the defensive playcalling.

Rivera hasn't taken that from Washington b/c he doesn't want to clip his balls, but he can't let this go on.

McDermott wasn't ready when he first got promoted in Philly, but was later on.  May be the same with Washington.

Rivera's defensive philosophy has produced multiple Top 10 and Top 5 defenses... but the play calling makes an incredible amount of difference.

Mike Shula had the same offensive philosophy as Norv, but his playcalling was/is light years worse.

56 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Tepper is watching this from the seats of his old franchuse.

Talk about the one game I would not want to screw the pooch.

I honestly think Washington could be gone by Monday.

I thought this was Rivera's defense lol

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sometimes you have to give a guy enough rope. Ron is a defensive coach and this defense sucks. If he can't fix it then it might be time for us to move on.

This...

And i think you're onto something...  i got in a debate with someone here earlier in the season (i believe after the atlanta loss), about ron being a subpar coach and he defended ron.  I brought up how tepper was rumored to have been among the owners who were trying to stage a coup to get tomlin fired last season, and i said if he thought tomlin was bad, then he had to start feeling the itch already with rivera...  the poster argued rivera was as good as tomlin or better...  lol, well here we are, AGAIN.  

Now back to your point...  what if this ends up being the game that tepper uses to allow rivera to essentially fire himself?  I could see him forcing rivera to fire washington, and then insist rivera coaches the defense himself...  which then exposes rivera for the inept coach he is, leading to him being canned...  one can only hope.

24 minutes ago, Montsta said:

The game spiraled out of control and the defense was awful, but being as bad as it was will take the focus and conversation off our franchise qb running for his life and getting murdered all game. 

Honestly until Cam learns to take what he can get he's going to get killed. I get why he was pressing but it's never helped. 

Archived