• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What took so damn long.

Jeremy Igo

It took the threat of a damn plane banner flying over the stadium during a playoff run year to get Shula fired. I can only imagine what it will take for Ron to cut loose one of his protege's who is obviously in over his head. It also doesn't bode well that his other two former assistants are shitting the bed as head coaches elsewhere.

19 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Everyone with half a brain knew Shula was horrible.

Why on Earth did we wait so long to decide Cam deserves an actual offensive coordinator?

The offense rode Cam to score points and the entire team relied on the defense to win games for us. A capable OC wasn't really priority for Rivera, and neither were offensive weapons. Thus for the majority of his time here he invested in defense. But relying on a defense now days as if it were 10 years ago is ignoring the shift the NFL has taken, and Rivera was slow to evolve. Now that a legit OC was brought in along with weapons, the defense will get weaker due to less investment. There is no way around it and Rivera Can't seem to adjust. But even still I'll admit the defense is a lot worse than I thought it would be.

11 minutes ago, Lumps said:

The offense rode Cam to score points and the entire team relied on the defense to win games for us. A capable OC wasn't really priority for Rivera, and neither were offensive weapons. Thus for the majority of his time here he invested in defense. But relying on a defense now days as if it were 10 years ago is ignoring the shift the NFL has taken, and Rivera was slow to evolve. Now that a legit OC was brought in along with weapons, the defense will get weaker due to less investment. There is no way around it and Rivera Can't seem to adjust. But even still I'll admit the defense is a lot worse than I thought it would be.

Back when he had Randall Cunningham, Buddy Ryan used to say that all they needed was for Cunningham to make two or three big plays a game and his defense would take care if everything else.

Obviously that wasn't a winning strategy for him, and I wouldn't have believed Ron would be crazy enough to try it in today's NFL. But if I take a hard look at what our team has been under Rivera, I'd have to say it looks an awful lot like that same approach.

Ron's been more successful at it than Buddy was, but I still don't buy that you can win championships like that.

Archived