• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top graded rookie wide receivers this season...

Jeremy Igo

PFF is limited and does not provide a complete picture of how a player is playing.  Their entire basis is set on an assumption of what was supposed to happen on any given play.  They do not know the actual assignments, or what each player was asked to do, so their evaluation is based on uninformed observations.  

But that's not the takeaway here.  The takeaway is that Moore has been playing solid ball when he is on the field.  He's made plays, he's blocked relatively well, and he's basically done whatever was asked of him very well.

Now, a few points:

1. Many here are disregarding the necessity for development.  Everyone complaining that Moore should have been out there more often from the start are not looking at the fact that he needed some development.  As he's developed, he's garnered more time and focus in the offense.  And as he continues to develop, he'll get more attention.  

2. Ron does not make the decisions on who plays and who doesn't on offense.  That is Norv and the position coaches.  And part of Norv's willingness to come on board was almost certainly to have autonomy with the offense.  Ron's not going to override him... unless things get really dire, which is not the case.

3. Comparing Moore to Ridley at this juncture is pointless.  Ridley was more refined coming out of college, so was more ready to contribute early.  And even then, the disparity in their production pretty much comes down to one game in which Ridley played the leagues worst pass defense at the time.  Ridley has also had the benefit of having one of the leagues best receivers taking the bulk of attention, whereas Moore doesn't even have anyone that is a clear #1 when he's on the field.

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

It would be a big deal and Ron has fair odds mismanaging the play time going forward IMO.  Based on Ron’s proven history. 

Nothing suggests Moore is unusually raw.  All reports from vets have been that Moore was ahead for a rookie.  And in his rare moments on the field, making plays comes easy.  

I don’t make that big of a deal of his two fumbles.  One was just learning not to do too much on the punt.  The other more a great play by Norman on the punch.   And we were still in position to win that game at the end and should of

Then when he does, you can complain. And I’ll be right there with you. 

But bringing along Moore at this pace isn’t an issue. Considering Smith May have saved our season, I’m fine with the time he got. And I wanted him cut more than anyone in the preseason. 

What is the issue? That he might play him when he comes back(if he does..open fire) or some stats. Are you “pre-bitching” about what may happen. 

Address having him fresher in DEC-JAN as opposed to hitting the rookie wall. Remember our WR core in NO last year. We have 5 good options. I’ll tale Moore getting snaps in the playoffs over snaps that wouldn’t change anything. 

Fumbles aren’t a big deal in regards to his future. He’s gonna be special. But he has a lot to learn still. If you can’t watch and see that, not much left to discuss. And when is the last time a player said another player needed to work on something in his game, to the media? Seriously. 

His production and snaps are very similar to JuJu’s last year. Should the Steelers have treated him differently? 

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Then when he does, you can complain. And I’ll be right there with you. 

But bringing along Moore at this pace isn’t an issue. Considering Smith May have saved our season, I’m fine with the time he got. And I wanted him cut more than anyone in the preseason. 

What is the issue? That he might play him when he comes back(if he does..open fire) or some stats. Are you “pre-bitching” about what may happen. 

Address having him fresher in DEC-JAN as opposed to hitting the rookie wall. Remember our WR core in NO last year. We have 5 good options. I’ll tale Moore getting snaps in the playoffs over snaps that wouldn’t change anything. 

Fumbles aren’t a big deal in regards to his future. He’s gonna be special. But he has a lot to learn still. If you can’t watch and see that, not much left to discuss. And when is the last time a player said another player needed to work on something in his game, to the media? Seriously. 

His production and snaps are very similar to JuJu’s last year. Should the Steelers have treated him differently? 

my bad, I thought pre-bitching and post-bitching was the primary purpsoe of the huddle.  Guess I been doing it wrong all these years. 

but nah, we have had lots of young WRs come through Spartanburg.  Never heard any young WR get the praise Moore did for being ahead of the game.  He happens to be the only rookie I have seen play as a rookie and get open and maneuver with relative ease visually which would back that. 

Steelers had AB.  Which means they already had explosive plays come out there ears from the WR spot.  We have been lacking that for years.   So Moore more clearly fits a need into our gameplan than it did for Pitt early on IMO

1 minute ago, CRA said:

my bad, I thought pre-bitching and post-bitching was the primary purpsoe of the huddle.  Guess I been doing it wrong all these years. 

Nah....The Huddle is about proclaiming an opinion as fact and bending every moment to make sure it fits a certain agenda. 

90% of this board doesn’t want to win. They want to be right about something. It was the same in 2015. 

You can deflect to whatever helps, but it still didn’t answer the question? What’s the issue when taking anything I presented into account?

Why do people on here feel threatened about another player, rofl. It's like Moore can't be good unless Ridley is bad it's odd to see peoples personal validations tied to such things.

D.J. Moore WR 196 42.98% 0 0% 73 40.11%
Calvin Ridley WR 256 53.89% 0 0% 8 3.98%

Ridley has played in 10% more of his teams offensive snaps than Moore has to the tune of 60 more plays. That's just plays not even touches...you think our offense would have Moore at +5 TDs and 200yards in 60 plays....in how many of those plays would he even get the ball nevermind score on it....

The best news about this is that no matter who Hurney picked he couldn't have fuged it up.

Still i'll take DJ at a bit younger with more upside and like the way he plays tough but it's quite funny to see people having to put down or bash someone so they can justify something that isn't even in need of justification.

DJ Moore has blossomed this past couple of games, but not sure how they can put him over Ridley at this point in the year, especially considering that DJ fumbled twice against Washington and saw very limited action the first couple games.

I think DJ is better than Ridley and will have the stats to prove it by the end of the year, but not buying it through 8 weeks because Ridley has had some monster games.  Us Huddlers love stats that tell us our players are good and hate stats when they say the opposite.  

13 minutes ago, jtm said:

DJ Moore has blossomed this past couple of games, but not sure how they can put him over Ridley at this point in the year, especially considering that DJ fumbled twice against Washington and saw very limited action the first couple games.

I think DJ is better than Ridley and will have the stats to prove it by the end of the year, but not buying it through 8 weeks because Ridley has had some monster games.  Us Huddlers love stats that tell us our players are good and hate stats when they say the opposite.  

Ridley has some drops and a fumble, Moore has a couple fumbles but no drops.

Moore is less than 40 offensive yards away from Ridley.

Archived