• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton is NFC Offensive Player of the Week

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I posted a link to it here. The thread title was something like "drafting is now more important" but I don't remember exactly.

His point was that teams are doing a better job of holding on to good players and thus free agency was being devalued.

If the salary cap continue to grow exponentially like it has been, teams will definitely focus through the drafts.

i really hope they standardize the cap to avoid this, otherwise players will be cap strapping teams for years.

Marty Hurney is officially good at his job and some of his picks may push him into greatness, like it or not. The last draft?!? Excellent so far.

Cam is a great example. Plenty of GM's said they wouldn't have picked Cam. Marty had to convince Ron that Donte Jackson would be the change they needed.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

If the salary cap continue to grow exponentially like it has been, teams will definitely focus through the drafts.

i really hope they standardize the cap to avoid this, otherwise players will be cap strapping teams for years.

Understood, though to be fair, no player can force a team to make that decision. If a team is cap strapped it's their own fault.

Letting go of a good player is tough. Moving on from a popular player is tough. But the guys making those decisions have to make those decisions (and they get paid handsomely to do so).

I've seen plenty of great GMs make crappy choices and plenty of bad ones get lucky, but that's the business.

No matter how experienced you are, how much work you put in or how many analytics you apply, the bottom line is you're ultimately still trying to predict the future. And unless you're a Biblical prophet, you're going to fail at that (a lot).

Being good at what you do helps, but being perfect at it is impossible.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Understood, though to be fair, no player can force a team to make that decision. If a team is cap strapped it's their own fault.

Letting go of a good player is tough. Moving on from a popular player is tough. But the guys making those decisions have to make those decisions (and they get paid handsomely to do so).

I've seen plenty of great GMs make crappy choices and plenty of bad ones get lucky, but that's the business.

No matter how experienced you are, how much work you put in or how many analytics you apply, the bottom line is you're ultimately still trying to predict the future. And unless you're a Biblical prophet, you're going to fail at that (a lot).

Being good at what you do helps, but being perfect at it is impossible.

Haynesworth comes to mind when I say a player cap strapping their team. The guy completely gave up after he got his contract. But I do agree with everything you said.

6 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Haynesworth comes to mind when I say a player cap strapping their team. The guy completely gave up after he got his contract. But I do agree with everything you said.

That's another part of being asked to predict the future. You don't know which guys are going to coast after they get paid. Heck, some of them start coasting as soon as they get drafted. And then you're stuck with a lazy jerk who you drafted in part because he had "a great work ethic".

Talent evaluation is hard.  Guys that are as consistently successful at it as someone like Ozzie Newsome are pretty rare. The best guys in the business are probably still going to get it wrong 30% of the time, maybe more. And even if you get the talent right, you're picking guys that are making significant transitions in their lives. no one knows how those changes are going to affect them.

You'll never find perfect. The best you can hope for is somebody who gets it right significantly more often than he gets it wrong.

Archived