• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton is NFC Offensive Player of the Week

Jeremy Igo

7 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Ridley has 200 more yards despite getting a lot more play time. This is with one extra game played in a pass happy offense. Ridley also has a lot more drops. They're closer than a lot of people think.

Fair. But I’ve also seen Ridley get open, stretch for first downs, and otherwise appear more rounded as a rookie than DJ Moore. My genuine hope is that Moore balls out and becomes our best receiver. But as long as Ridley is helping his offense more than Moore helps his, I won’t be able to help but to wish the team had made the other choice.

10 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

So is there another option? You are mad we pay our players to stay? What is a model for success? According to you it does not include paying our players nor letting them go elsewhere.

Now if you were to criticize that the last 5 years we have been drafting out BPA and not positional need, that I can align with. That's how we ended up with players who were not ready to conitrbute right away. However that was DG.

Christ, is English not your first language? 

And LOL at us going BPA the last 5 years... I’m done here 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've got a new co-worker who knows his football. He actually played middle linebacker in a big time college program before blowing a knee.

Now, he's a Cowboy fan, but not a delusional one. He wishes they had Newton rather than Prescott. He agrees Newton has a lot of Brett Favre in him, though he said he hadn't really thought about it that way until we discussed it.

And yeah, despite how we looked early, he was pretty complimentary of Newton's overall performance this past Sunday.

One thing I really hope he's wrong about though: He describes choosing DJ Moore over Calvin Ridley as a "huge mistake". He's not a fan of Moore at all. In fact, he said that he'll be "the bane of our existence" over time.

Steve Smith said he was the best WR in the class and someone that can finally fill his shoes. I'll trust Smitty on this one. Moore has only played 6 games. He has shown explosiveness. I'll give it time before I call him a bust. I think he will get there and he and Samuel will be one of the most dynamic duos in the League. It's easy for Ridley to get his while in that offense. Especially with teams focusing on Julio Jones

5 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Christ, is English not your first language? 

And LOL at us going BPA the last 5 years... I’m done here 

You are just a bad communicator man. Your posts are so emotional.  DG was known for taking BPA. It is his draft philosophy. You know better.

"Gettleman said that free agency allows a team to follow a BPA plan."

It just turns out Gettleman didn't know how to assess who the BPA was. 

Yeah, because the best time to judge receivers is 6 games into their careers. 

I'd trust Norv Turner's ability to evaluate potential a little more. And, it's not surprising that Ridley has shown more early, especially in that offense. Let's see how they stack up in the next few years.

19 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Steve Smith said he was the best WR in the class and someone that can finally fill his shoes. I'll trust Smitty on this one. Moore has only played 6 games. He has shown explosiveness. I'll give it time before I call him a bust. I think he will get there and he and Samuel will be one of the most dynamic duos in the League. It's easy for Ridley to get his while in that offense. Especially with teams focusing on Julio Jones

Yep. You have to consider what Moore accomplished at Maryland with 3 different head coaches and 8 QBs. 

"As a junior, he started all 12 games and set a school record with 80 receptions for 1,033 yards and eight touchdowns.[5][6] After his junior season, Moore was named to the First Team All-Big-Ten, and was the Big Ten Receiver of the Year." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._J._Moore_(wide_receiver)

Give him time. Even if he never becomes a legit #1 WR, he'll be worth it as a slot guy with the way the runs with the ball. 

54 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Yeah, because the best time to judge receivers is 6 games into their careers. 

I'd trust Norv Turner's ability to evaluate potential a little more. And, it's not surprising that Ridley has shown more early, especially in that offense. Let's see how they stack up in the next few years.

But...according to some. The longer it takes Moore to become proficient. The less value he has. In order for us to get the maximum amount of value out of him. He needs to step in up. And I mean, like, right now. lol

3 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

So is there another option? You are mad we pay our players to stay? What is a model for success? According to you it does not include paying our players nor letting them go elsewhere.

There actually is, and Tepper would be very familiar with it.

The Steelers focus very heavily on the draft. It's what allows them to have the "next man up" flexibility to not overpay players that believe they're due big contracts.

Now, for that approach to work, you have to draft very well very deeply into the draft. I'm not exactly confident Marty Hurney can do that, but he could always be replaced with someone that can.

if Albert Breer's analysis of the future of free agency is accurate (and I believe it is) we'll need to start doing something like that in order to maintain success.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

if Albert Breer's analysis of the future of free agency is accurate (and I believe it is) we'll need to start doing something like that in order to maintain success.

What’s his analysis? I missed it. I’ll google it shortly if you prefer not to explain.

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

What’s his analysis? I missed it. I’ll google it shortly if you prefer not to explain.

I posted a link to it here. The thread title was something like "drafting is now more important" but I don't remember exactly.

His point was that teams are doing a better job of holding on to good players and thus free agency was being devalued.

Archived