• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton is NFC Offensive Player of the Week

Jeremy Igo

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've got a new co-worker who knows his football. He actually played middle linebacker in a big time college program before blowing a knee.

Now, he's a Cowboy fan, but not a delusional one. He wishes they had Newton rather than Prescott. He agrees Newton has a lot of Brett Favre in him, though he said he hadn't really thought about it that way until we discussed it.

And yeah, despite how we looked early, he was pretty complimentary of Newton's overall performance this past Sunday.

One thing I really hope he's wrong about though: He describes choosing DJ Moore over Calvin Ridley as a "huge mistake". He's not a fan of Moore at all. In fact, he said that he'll be "the bane of our existence" over time.

Brett Favre was one of the best gunslingers ever. I can see it as far as the controlled chaos aspect they both possess in their game. Cam has been on a tighter rope though. Brett had the ability to slip it through double, triple coverage and was successful at it, fearless. Cam can zip it through coverage too, we've seen that often enough. Brett Favre was a scrambler with a big arm.

You guys may be right. Cam is the prolific runner of the two but Farve may be Cam's spirit animal. They should link up in the off-season.

He's wrong about DJ though.

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

There was plenty of people complaining about Cam’s passes all game.

Is this the pass to DJ you’re talking about (second tweet)...

People are slowly starting to realize that DJ is a serious work in progress.

Yeah and then i watch Calvin Ridley put in work down in Atlanta and I’m like “wtf, we could have taken him instead”

its pretty obvious that Ridley is the better WR, and we had our choice between the two. It just aggravates me that we chose the project over the proven commodity 

11 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

Yeah and then i watch Calvin Ridley put in work down in Atlanta and I’m like “wtf, we could have taken him instead”

its pretty obvious that Ridley is the better WR, and we had our choice between the two. It just aggravates me that we chose the project over the proven commodity 

Yeah... people can bring up the age thing all they want but we need rookies who are ready to make a difference yesterday. Especially given our cap situation. The Saints drafted guys like Ramcyzk, Lattimore and Kamara all legit day 1 players giving them a ton of flexibility with the cap.

When you continue to draft projects and real young guys you more than likely spend the majority of their rookie contract (while they’re cheap) just easing them in slowly while still needing to spend money on those positions because they’re not ready. Funchess and Shaq are both examples of it and now that they’re both ready to play full time their contracts are up... we spend all the time turning these projects into players and then either we have to end up paying them or they go elsewhere. It’s not a great model for success. You need a balance.

Way to go Cam. Seemed like he got lost in the shuffle Sun. Nice to see him back in spotlight so to speak. Cam just showing that he is a force to be reckoned with. And that bodes well for us.

Cam wins player of the week, and there are 3 whole posts congratulating him. 

5 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yeah... people can bring up the age thing all they want but we need rookies who are ready to make a difference yesterday. Especially given our cap situation. The Saints drafted guys like Ramcyzk, Lattimore and Kamara all legit day 1 players giving them a ton of flexibility with the cap.

When you continue to draft projects and real young guys you more than likely spend the majority of their rookie contract (while they’re cheap) just easing them in slowly while still needing to spend money on those positions because they’re not ready. Funchess and Shaq are both examples of it and now that they’re both ready to play full time their contracts are up... we spend all the time turning these projects into players and then either we have to end up paying them or they go elsewhere. It’s not a great model for success. You need a balance.

Hopefully Tepper’s presence and influence will change that

4 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

we spend all the time turning these projects into players and then either we have to end up paying them or they go elsewhere. It’s not a great model for success. You need a balance.

I believe I read a report not too long ago stating that we were top 5 in the NFL over the last 15 years in keeping our drafted talent and their all pro % was the highest.

Outside of Norwell, I cant think of many players we lost .... as you are stating above. I mean I guess you could use Josh Norman, but that was a lot of money to pay a 28 year old CB.

Maybe you can help me out with refreshing my memory with the talent we let go after developing them?

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I believe I read a report not too long ago stating that we were top 5 in the NFL over the last 15 years in keeping our drafted talent and their all pro % was the highest.

Outside of Norwell, I cant think of many players we lost .... as you are stating above. I mean I guess you could use Josh Norman, but that was a lot of money to pay a 28 year old CB.

Maybe you can help me out with refreshing my memory with the talent we let go after developing them?

Either we have to pay them or they go elsewhere”

I can’t clear that part up anymore for you. Quit trying to nitpick and look for something that isn’t there.

We need more drafts where we take guys like Star who’s ready to play day 1. It allows for money to be spent elsewhere. Now we’re stuck we two massive deal on defensive tackles

We drafted DJ Moore but still need help at WR.

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

Either we have to pay them or they go elsewhere”

I can’t clear that part up anymore for you. Quit trying to nitpick and look for something that isn’t there.

So is there another option? You are mad we pay our players to stay? What is a model for success? According to you it does not include paying our players nor letting them go elsewhere.

Now if you were to criticize that the last 5 years we have been drafting out BPA and not positional need, that I can align with. That's how we ended up with players who were not ready to conitrbute right away. However that was DG.

31 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

Ridley has 200 more yards despite getting a lot more play time. This is with one extra game played in a pass happy offense. Ridley also has a lot more drops. They're closer than a lot of people think.

If the draft was a science, I maybe could get behind this. But there never is a guarantee that players are going to work out.

Also, we drafted Butler, because we thought we might lose KK.

We drafted Shaq, because we were not sure TD was still going to be a force.

We did lose Stah, so that is one.

Samuel is only in his second season, too early to use him.

And, we kept Turner, and KK, so we are not losing all our star draftees. 

Funch, and DWill are the only two who really fit this narrative. Will we keep both? One, or the other? Or neither? That is going to be interesting.

And lastly. Moore is still a rookie. Is it not too early to worry about how his career arc is going to play out?

Does it really matter who you pay? A second contract to keep a kid, is not going to be somehow way cheaper than replacing him.

Some guys you hate to lose, some guys you have to keep, you cannot keep everyone, and you are going to lose players. 

The ONLY way to avoid this? Draft well every stinking year. When the kids are ready to leave, you have his replacement in the wings. Otherwise, you are just going to have to deal with the fact that you are going to lose some kids.

Archived