• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just two of Curtis Samuel’s 3 snaps...

Saca312

6 hours ago, Bartin said:

Not sure about wishing for Kalil to come back but Clark has been struggling pretty hard the last couple games.

The thing about Clark and Kalil is they are bad in different ways. Clark gives up pressure pretty consistently but he doesn’t just get outright beat so it doesn’t lead to Cam getting sacked. Kalil on the other hand blocks well most of the time but gets absolutely torched 3-4 times a game which leads to Cam getting blasted and killing drives.

I think I’d prefer the consistent pressure without sacks rather than the drive killing sacks. Kalil also gets way more holding penalties.

Now let’s compare salaries and understand who is really the better option and isn’t exactly underperforming when things are put into perspective. 

16 hours ago, Bartin said:

I definitely think it's Norv and the WR coach and they only have Samuel in on certain formations due to his conditioning and missing 4 weeks. Norv just never called those formations because his come from behind plays/formations were different. That's why Ron said scheme/game situation were the reasons. That stuff is all figured out during the week. Not in the middle of a game.

I would submit to you that the same kind of "don't play the young guys, too risky!" things were happening under Shula and Chud.

There is a common denominator through the Chud-Shula-Turner timeframe.

Either Ron doesn't see what the rest of us see.  OR.  Curtis doesn't understand the playbook enough to be on the field for 75% of the snaps.  OR.  He is working back into game shape.  OR.  Ron is really bad at personnel evaluations.

It's probably a little bit of all of it.

Personally, I'm ready to see him out there, and let's light it up.  Put the Rook's/Samuel out there....Funch and Olsen can help them along.

16 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Either Ron doesn't see what the rest of us see.  OR.  Curtis doesn't understand the playbook enough to be on the field for 75% of the snaps.  OR.  He is working back into game shape.  OR.  Ron is really bad at personnel evaluations.

It's probably a little bit of all of it.

Personally, I'm ready to see him out there, and let's light it up.  Put the Rook's/Samuel out there....Funch and Olsen can help them along.

Possible, though I'd have to guess even if he hasn't grasped the full playbook yet, he's gotta know more than three plays.

5 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

I would submit to you that the same kind of "don't play the young guys, too risky!" things were happening under Shula and Chud.

There is a common denominator through the Chud-Shula-Turner timeframe.

I would agree with that but with a few exceptions that is pretty common throughout the NFL and really all sports. It's also not like we have never played rookies right from the start. Kelvin, Shaq, Cam, Luke, KK, Star, Donte, Bradberry, Worley, Bene(nickel), Trai, Worley and CMC were all day 1 starters or at least played significant snaps in the case of Bene and Shaq since they were part of the sub packages. Funchess got quite a bit of run as a rookie too though that was primarily because KB tore his ACL.

Now yes there are examples of times when we wonder what the hell the coaches are doing and it takes injury to get guys like Samuel, Norman, Daryl, Moton and Norwell on the field but that primarily seems to be an OL thing with Samuel having a ton of injury setbacks and Norman's issues being more personality and freelancing based. Maybe you can add in Boston and CAP here too but neither of those two are really that good so was it really that wrong to keep them as backups?

My support of Ron Rivera is a little shaky as of late. I always said that his two biggest problems were blind allegiance to Shula and veterans that aren't producing.  To not play Samuel---a second round pick known for being a versatile and electric playmaker in college, and who flashed in the relatively miniscule amount he has played as a pro---is simply just...dumb. 

Archived