• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riverboat Rivera on not going for it on 4th and a centimeter on the first drive.

Saca312

8 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

SO coach gets roasted for not going to for it on the first possession when the team was on 4th down on the wrong side of the 50.

its like y’all have never watched football before.

if you’re going to roast a head coach at least do it for an actually bad coaching decision not for something that pretty much every coach in the NFL would have done. SMH.

When you have Cam Newton a 1/2 yard is almost 99% of the time a 1st down. Even if we didn't get it in the grand scheme it didn't matter much. Just like missing the extra PAT

If you guys haven’t noticed...

ron has always been bailed out by cam carrying the damn team on his back and guys like Luke making plays on defense 

He’s not a good HC. He’s horrible when it comes to talent evaluation and roster management. In game adjustments and conservative play calling have been mind blowingly bad

Luckily we have a progressive owner who sees the future of the league and aggressive analytics that the top teams are using every week. Maybe he has Ron on a short leash. Hopefully he does

I truly hope you folks putting your faith in Tepper to fire Rivera can put on your reading glasses. Tepper is from the Steeler Org., they don't do things willy nilly. They preach patience and staying the course. You put people who can get the job done in place to do just that. You do not change course just for changes sake.

I am not saying Rivera and Co. are safe. But I am saying it is not above the realm of possibility that they stay.

I am not prepared to start a rebuild. Even if many of you are.

19 hours ago, Castavar said:

This Panther team with Ron is the equivalent of the Golden State Warriors with Mark Jackson. He will be able to get you to the playoffs, but will never be able to make this team reach its full potential and win a chip. Now, we can either go hire ourselves a Steve Kerr and make history with our future hall of famers on both sides of the ball, or we can remain with Mark Jackson.

So a Gruden basically,...

On 10/14/2018 at 10:24 PM, Snake said:

Rivera is never going to change. I can guarantee we will do the same thing next week and drop two in a row. His obsession with running the ball isn't going to stop and we aren't going to beat good teams this year until he stops. 

You know Tepper won’t hesitate to can him if we don’t make the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

SO coach gets roasted for not going to for it on the first possession when the team was on 4th down on the wrong side of the 50.

its like y’all have never watched football before.

if you’re going to roast a head coach at least do it for an actually bad coaching decision not for something that pretty much every coach in the NFL would have done. SMH.

I don't put as much weight on that particular decision as others do when it comes to this particular loss. But with that said, there's something worth thinking about here.

Remember when we started getting more successful a few years back? It was when Rivera became "Riverboat Ron" and began making gutsier calls.

Now mind you, not all of those were successful, but it's not so much the individual situations that matter. The difference was the approach. "Riverboat Ron" was just a more effective coach than "Rivera, Ron".

You can say that particular decision didn't necessarily have a huge impact on the Redskins game, and you'd have an argument. But if you take that decision as an indication that it's "Conservative Ron" who's coaching the team right now rather than "Riverboat", then yes it can be suggested that this decision was a negative.

4 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

I truly hope you folks putting your faith in Tepper to fire Rivera can put on your reading glasses. Tepper is from the Steeler Org., they don't do things willy nilly. They preach patience and staying the course. You put people who can get the job done in place to do just that. You do not change course just for changes sake.

I am not saying Rivera and Co. are safe. But I am saying it is not above the realm of possibility that they stay.

I am not prepared to start a rebuild. Even if many of you are.

A rebuild can be a very painful thing, but it also has the potential to yield very positive results.

Sticking with a coach who's not going to win you a championship longer than you should though? Equally painful, and not especially positive unless you're okay with just being in the game even if you never win it.

I'm sure the folks in Buffalo have lots of good memories of their Super Bowl appearances. I'm also equally certain that the vast majority of them would give their left arm to change at least one of those games to a win.

Bottom Line: If my analysis of Ron Rivera were that he was basically going to be a Dennis Green / Marty Schottenheimer type who would win a lot of games on an annual basis but never get us a championship, I wouldn't hesitate for a single moment to kick him to the curb and start over with somebody new.

it's a very difficult thing to come to that decision, but if you do you can't hesitate.

7 hours ago, Snake said:

When you have Cam Newton a 1/2 yard is almost 99% of the time a 1st down. Even if we didn't get it in the grand scheme it didn't matter much. Just like missing the extra PAT

I see going for it on 4-1 on the wrong side of 50 a desperation move. You do it when your team absolutely needs it. 

On the first drive score 0-0 there is no way I’m doing that. And pretty much every other coach in the league would have done the same.

Only coach I’ve seen do that this year is the Rams head coach, but he also has the best team in the league right now. If you know you’re good enough to recover from it going wrong then why not?

panthers aren’t good enough to be making plays like that. In 2015 we were. Not today.

1 hour ago, Doc Holiday said:

I see going for it on 4-1 on the wrong side of 50 a desperation move. You do it when your team absolutely needs it. 

On the first drive score 0-0 there is no way I’m doing that. And pretty much every other coach in the league would have done the same.

Only coach I’ve seen do that this year is the Rams head coach, but he also has the best team in the league right now. If you know you’re good enough to recover from it going wrong then why not?

panthers aren’t good enough to be making plays like that. In 2015 we were. Not today.

You realize Gruden went for it 2 drives after us on 4th down even deeper in his own territory right?

Chip Kelly was once asked about going for it on 4th down in his own territory even on first drives,..

his response was that the analytics that drove every decision were game winning statistics, not just if the down was going to be successful or not. Yes or no weren’t important, it was the statistic that said he had a higher probability of winning the game.

We didn’t go for it, we lost. Washington went for it twice,.. and they won.

i guess that probability was found to be true,..

and I thought Tepper said he wanted more analytics in our football??

fired Ron—

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

You realize Gruden went for it 2 drives after us on 4th down even deeper in his own territory right?

Your point? Look I think we both know we are on opposite side of this already, no need to rehash the entire argument.

fwiw the outrage over this is stupid, if you want to blame someone for the loss yesterday DJ Moore hands down wins it. Rivera didn’t personally fumble the ball and put the panthers in a 0-14 hole.

we pretty much dominate that game 20-9 if not for DJ Moore. 

But its Rivera’s Fault for not going for it on 4 and 1 on the first possession when the score was 0-0. Right... y’all be trippin.

34 minutes ago, JARROD said:

Chip Kelly was once asked about going for it on 4th down in his own territory even on first drives,..

his response was that the analytics that drove every decision were game winning statistics, not just if the down was going to be successful or not. Yes or no weren’t important, it was the statistic that said he had a higher probability of winning the game.

We didn’t go for it, we lost. Washington went for it twice,.. and they won.

i guess that probability was found to be true,..

and I thought Tepper said he wanted more analytics in our football??

fired Ron—

Chip Kelly also got ran out of the NFL because his style wouldn’t win for poo.

2 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Chip Kelly also got ran out of the NFL because his style wouldn’t win for poo.

Analytics have nothing to do with the system huckleberry,..

ha

when teams go for it on 4th down, whether they win the play and convert or not is irrelevant. Their chance of winning  goes up by a lot. Chip said 86% vs 47% or some crazy metric like that.

that has nothing to do with whether a guys authoritarian style fits in the NFL— 

Belicheck runs Chip Kelly’s offense— Pederson runs Chip Kelly’s concepts— Sean McVae runs Chip Kelly’s concepts—

they are just better NFL relaters than Chip is.

Archived