• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers sign Eric Reid to a one year deal

Jeremy Igo

13 hours ago, panthers55 said:

What is likely is Hurney and Rivera wanted him and asked if Tepper had an issue with it. Tepper asked if he was the best player we could get and Hurney said yeah. Tepper said then sign him. I want to win and don't care what the league thinks.

Tepper wants to win. Eric Reid will help with that.

Old man Richardson was good with 7-9, everyone gets a balloon on the way out, and opposing fans are safe and sound while they take a dump all over panthers fans and BofA stadium with tickets they bought off someone on the street.  

33 minutes ago, Billy_T said:

There is no way Hurney & Riverboat pulled the trigger on this without consulting Tepper first. 

This move has significant PR fall-out with the press & the fans, not to mention it will likely generate some strong reactions both ways from fellow owners. 

While neither are mental giants, Hurney & Riverboat are key managers in a business owned by Mr. Tepper and both are smart enough to know only a complete idiot would make a move with far reaching implications like this one without first consulting the owner.

Well how about that. Hurndog talked to Reid's agent Tue. Wed. Reid was in town. Tepper wasn't brought in until Reid was already here. So your assertion is just not correct.

34 minutes ago, Billy_T said:

There is no way Hurney & Riverboat pulled the trigger on this without consulting Tepper first. 

This move has significant PR fall-out with the press & the fans, not to mention it will likely generate some strong reactions both ways from fellow owners. 

While neither are mental giants, Hurney & Riverboat are key managers in a business owned by Mr. Tepper and both are smart enough to know only a complete idiot would make a move with far reaching implications like this one without first consulting the owner.

I am sure they did consult with Tepper as you are right there could be implications although Reid already said in the offseason he wasn't going to protest any more. The issue was that some have speculated that Tepper may have encouraged the signing or forced Hurney and Rivera to make the move. As I theorized and was born out by the N and O timeline and subsequent stories, it was Hurney and Rivera pushing the idea (before it was floated by Smith or anyone else) as a football decision. Tepper also was supportive of the kneeling and the players' stance already so how much approval they needed before negotiating a contract is not clear. I suspect they had been told that the goal was about winning and whoever they needed to bring in in order to do that was their first priority. So once they had things in the works Tepper was consulted and gave his blessing.

1 hour ago, Billy_T said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It will be interesting to see what the Panthers choose to do at the end of the year. If Reid plays well, it could mean the end for Shaq Thompson. 

My supposition is that the Panthers are not inclined to pay good money for what they consider fungible positions, namely wide receiver and defensive back. However, considering the fact that Reid has experience playing a hybrid position, much in the same manner as Shaq, it could mean that Shaq is expendable at the end of the year, provided Shaq continues with the less than stellar play he has been exhibiting. 

Someone with better college football knowledge will have to tell me if there are decent LBs available in next year's draft.

3 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Well how about that. Hurndog talked to Reid's agent Tue. Wed. Reid was in town. Tepper wasn't brought in until Reid was already here. So your assertion is just not correct.

Uhhh, you don't take raw ideas to the owner of your company.  You take plans.  You don't waste Tepper's time with an idea and then look like an idiot when you can't come to terms with Reid.  You cut the terms with Reid, then get the final ok with Tepper.  Haven't you guys dealt with big wig's?  Sheesh.

11 minutes ago, Manther said:

Uhhh, you don't take raw ideas to the owner of your company.  You take plans.  You don't waste Tepper's time with an idea and then look like an idiot when you can't come to terms with Reid.  You cut the terms with Reid, then get the final ok with Tepper.  Haven't you guys dealt with big wig's?  Sheesh.

Um, not sure what you are trying to say here. Because that is exactly how things transpired. Hurndog talked to Reid and his agent. They were ready to do the deal. THEN they went to Tepper. 

So whether wittingly, or otherwise. You agree with the timeline as I stated it. Sheesh. lol

12 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Um, not sure what you are trying to say here. Because that is exactly how things transpired. Hurndog talked to Reid and his agent. They were ready to do the deal. THEN they went to Tepper. 

So whether wittingly, or otherwise. You agree with the timeline as I stated it. Sheesh. lol

Sounds like everybody is in violent agreement.  

Archived