• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Van Roten is legit - Video Proof

Jeremy Igo

I'm waiting to see one thing out of our uglys right now...

Consistency.

I say this all the time. You could be Hall of Fame good in week two but have it not mean squat if you're sucking by week twelve. if they can keep playing like this late into the season, then they have a chance to play beyond the season.

Bottom Line: Don't win the hundred yard dash. Win the Ironman triathlon.

I've been saying since game 1 that Van Roten is the real deal.  The season's far from over, but based on how he's produced so far, I can't see any fall off from Norwell (an equally unheralded player who came from nowhere and nothing to become an all-pro LG).  Maybe the common denominator is the coaching of John Matsko (and now also Travelle Wharton)?

With OLmen, we here about the importance of communication (and continuity), and now, amazingly, the same 5 guys have played 100% of the offensive snaps together, each of the last 2 games!  Who saw that coming, after all the early injuries?  Hell, IIRC, nobody on this site had any idea who was gonna play either T position, and until 2 Wednesdays ago, Clark was a non-entity to us all.  He attributes his success in his first game to Van Roten, for telling him where and who to block.  Imagine, Van Roten, a coach on the field, and then making all manner of downfield and secondary blocks in the running game.  He surely IS the real deal!

Going in to 2019 offseason we have a decision to make at OT. It appears we have 4/5 of the line covered, with depth in Matt Kalil and Brandon Mahon.

Moton - Van Roten - Larsen - Turner - 

I'm okay with re-upping Daryl if his medicals clear. We need a RT and he knows our system and has succeeded in it. I would think his injury takes a little steam out of his tank from a $$ perspective....not a lot...but some. If we re-up his contract we have a young, balanced and cohesive line.

Or, do we bring Clark back in at 33 on a cheaper deal and keep Moton at RT? Is Clark a player that can be trusted to continue this play or do we tap into our younger DW, whom we drafted, groomed and know a lot more....albeit with a much higher pricetag?

As for Kalil, we keep his contract on the books for one more year bc it's still a loss of <$2M> if we cut him and as the seasons have proven lately, depth is important. I"d rather save the $2M and keep his underwhelming self on the roster for depth and then cut him in 2020....along with a parade that he's finally gone. 

52 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Said it then, and will continue to wonder if we signed the right G out of the two available to us.  

Unfortunately, the one that was first in line kind of forced the decision.

Turner was playing great at the time, so your decision was (1) pay for the bird in your hand or (2) let him go and roll the dice on the future ones in the bush.

EVERY NFL team would take option (1) because NFL teams are risk-averse by nature.

What shouldn’t be lost in the Oline producing which is a pleasant surprise. Credit also needs to go to the TEs & FB. They have been doing a solid job & considering how young they are only gonna keep getting better. Love Olsen, but that man can’t block worth poo. 

2019 the line could be a huge strength if Kalil keeps producing maybe convince him to com back another yr on a cheap deal. Gives us more time to draft his replacement or groom Larsen longer. Win win either way. 

2 hours ago, ericr0319 said:

when Turner comes back does VR stay at LG and Larsen remains for depth. I like the thought of having Larsen for these situations. 

At this point, yes. As long as Trai handles his business, I believe Larsen is out backup center/guard. The fact that he's good enough to step in and start with little or no drop off is a hell of a luxury to have. I can only assume that he's our starting center after this season.

The very good news...VR is locked in for this season and next with cap hits of $780,000 and $880,000 respectively.  Marty is ballin on a budget, bitches!

*Makes a conclusion of a player, offering proof to support said conclusion*

*Provides a single GIF*

Saca...is that you? Did you forget to switch accounts?

I really like our offensive line right now, GVR included...but these kinds of threads are silly. You can do this for every player in the NFL if your criteria is one good play. I could make a “Russell Shepard is legit - Video proof” thread and show a GIF of his one touchdown for us in the season opener last year.

Archived