• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So.... We are done with Matt Kalil, right?

Jeremy Igo

On 9/24/2018 at 7:52 AM, gmonjimbo said:

I think with his contract, Matt will be kept on the roster for at least one more year. The coaches have to be honest with themselves and understand that Matt is a bust FA signing and should be used as a backup until they can get out of his contract. 

We can cut him after 2018 as a designated post-June 1 cut and save $1M on next years salary cap.

Dead money from his contract will still be impacting Carolina for the next 4 years but, after this season, he can be cut with no negative impact on the salary cap.

On the following link, select the "Cut (post-June 1)" in the pull-down box: https://overthecap.com/player/matt-kalil/1793/

On 9/24/2018 at 7:43 AM, The Lobo said:

Yes. Moton or Clark are vast improvements at LT. The lineup we had Sunday did a great job. When Trai comes back it should be even better. Question is, do we cut Kalil this offseason?

As Bad as I've seen Ryan Kalil play Clark-VRoten-Larsen-Turner-Moton may be our best line (assuming Williams is on IR for good).

13 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

We can cut him after 2018 as a designated post-June 1 cut and save $1M on next years salary cap.

Dead money from his contract will still be impacting Carolina for the next 4 years but, after this season, he can be cut with no negative impact on the salary cap.

On the following link, select the "Cut (post-June 1)" in the pull-down box: https://overthecap.com/player/matt-kalil/1793/

You don’t get 3-4 years to pay that dead money off. We have to eat 4.9M next year and 9.8M in 2020. Nothing else is guaranteed so we aren’t saving anything. Just getting rid of sunk cost. 

28 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Luckily Gettleman made the contract so they could dump him next year. What a waste of money. Truiy disappointed it didn't pan out. At least they tried. 

Using the word “luckily “ when referring to the Panthers and how DG made this contract is about the LAST word I would use. 25M for ONE awful year of play that we haven’t even made a dent in , cap wise. Nightmare would be far more appropriate. 

53 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I get Kalil is bad and all but...

1. I love Carl Lawson... he's a fugging beast and SUPER strong and was a fugging steal in the 4th round when Cincy picked him.

2. Clark's "technique" may be awful, but he ain't holding.

3. Clark's "technique" prevented Lawson from getting to Cam.

Kind of like Cam throwing off his back foot, if the "technique" works, I DON'T GIVE A POO.

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

1. I love Carl Lawson... he's a fugging beast and SUPER strong and was a fugging steal in the 4th round when Cincy picked him.

2. Clark's "technique" may be awful, but he ain't holding.

3. Clark's "technique" prevented Lawson from getting to Cam.

Kind of like Cam throwing off his back foot, if the "technique" works, I DON'T GIVE A POO.

Daeshon Hall could have been Carl Lawson and Eddie Jackson just by not trading up. Can’t believe Carl fell that far. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Daeshon Hall could have been Carl Lawson and Eddie Jackson just by not trading up. Can’t believe Carl fell that far. 

Yeah, I thought maybe Carolina avoided Lawson because he was a little light at 255-260 to play 4-3 DE.

Then they went drafted a 235 lb guy this year without near the ability that Carl Lawson had/has.

4 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Yeah, I thought maybe Carolina avoided Lawson because he was a little light at 255-260 to play 4-3 DE.

Then they went drafted a 235 lb guy this year without near the ability that Carl Lawson had/has.

I thought maybe it was his height(frame) and scouts didn’t think he could add weight. I was complaining about the Steelers passing on him 3 times. He’s a born 3-4 OLB. 

Then Haynes happened. Screw theories. It just sux. 

Just now, Toomers said:

I thought maybe it was his height(frame) and scouts didn’t think he could add weight. I was complaining about the Steelers passing on him 3 times. He’s a born 3-4 OLB. 

Then Haynes happened. Screw theories. It just sux. 

He's up to 265 this season and looks even stronger and faster.  Yeah, I think he fits better as a 3-4 OLB, but at his size and raw strength and athleticism, pretty sure at this point he could also play 4-3 DE.

Some players put on extra weight to play a position and suffer for it.  Others just get better.

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

He's up to 265 this season and looks even stronger and faster.  Yeah, I think he fits better as a 3-4 OLB, but at his size and raw strength and athleticism, pretty sure at this point he could also play 4-3 DE.

Some players put on extra weight to play a position and suffer for it.  Others just get better.

He’s bigger than Mario was at his age. And is ridiculous strong. So he could handle full time DE. He......ah hell. I’m pissed again. 

Archived