• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So.... We are done with Matt Kalil, right?

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Seoul_Panther said:

Yeah maybe-I was just giving a reason why someone might want to trade for him. I've read plenty of threads on here where people categorically state opposite interpretations of his contract. Honestly, I really no longer care.

Here's another question-Is he worth keeping on the roster when he is a liability-regardless of whether he's been paid or not?

You can believe whoever you want, but I’ve been dead on about this once the terms of the contract came out. And have been warning of this scenario since then. 

You can’t cut him until the end of the season. Or the dead money starts hitting this year. 

Quick Question: Do we actually know how long Chris Clark is signed for?  I tried looking it up but haven't been able to find it. If he's only signed through this season, then do you try to extend him?

Clark is 32, so he's not really a long term solution. He looks pretty good so far but I'm a little concerned about how he'll hold up as the season goes on. Hopefully he will but we'll see.

The ideal situation for next year and beyond would still be Moton at LT and Williams at RT, but that's assuming that Williams can get healthy and that he can be signed for a reasonable contract. That may be more likely now, but it's not guaranteed.

As to Kalil, much as I hate to say it, you really should be an afterthought at this point.

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

You can believe whoever you want, but I’ve been dead on about this once the terms of the contract came out. And have been warning of this scenario since then. 

You can’t cut him until the end of the season. Or the dead money starts hitting this year. 

I think I don't care about his contract in terms of money paid.  I'm interested in whether he even wants to come back. Whether RR sees a role for him and will try and push him back in like some of his other man-crushes. And whether his roster spot can be freed up, and if so when-concensus seems to be after June 1?

Unlike others I don't foresee him hanging around as a reserve-especially if his brother hangs up his clogs.

25 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Please explain how trading him helps us. In any way? I’ve already explained why this is a horrible idea. But, like many in this thread, no one pays attention.  

yep - I think you are right.  we just need to figure out if we spread the cap pain over 2 or 3 years or eat it all at once.  But my understanding is we will save money despite the dead hit as long as he is gone.  Any additional money we spend above the dead cap hit is money not well-spent.

I think that Kalil's going to be on the bench, barring an injury. Clark and Moton have earned their starting spots over the last couple of weeks.

Realistically, though, the season may either turn them into steady performers or it might break them down (age-wise for Clark and experience-wise for Moton). It's going to take a couple more games and this bye before I'm really comfortable with them as our starting tackles. Same with Larsen and Van Roten. That being said, that group, led by Ryan Kalil, is looking as good as I've seen a Panthers line in a looooong time.

I'd still be looking for a tackle in the first round of next year's draft.

(And quit picking WRs so high, I'm not convinced our scouts are really good at assessing receivers and their ability to move into the pros.)

2 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

I think I don't care about his contract in terms of money paid.  I'm interested in whether he even wants to come back. Whether RR sees a role for him and will try and push him back in like some of his other man-crushes. And whether his roster spot can be freed up, and if so when-concensus seems to be after June 1?

Unlike others I don't foresee him hanging around as a reserve-especially if his brother hangs up his clogs.

He not taking a roster spot. He’s on IR. For “knee soreness”. As desperate as we were, if he was ever going to play again, it would have happened already and he wouldn’t have been put on IR. Add that him getting injured would cost another 7M, I can’t see him coming back for any reason. 

He’ll be designated a post June 1 cut shortly after the season.

6 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

yep - I think you are right.  we just need to figure out if we spread the cap pain over 2 or 3 years or eat it all at once.  But my understanding is we will save money despite the dead hit as long as he is gone.  Any additional money we spend above the dead cap hit is money not well-spent.

It will be 4.9M in 2019 and 9.8 in 2020. You don’t get three years. 

17 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He not taking a roster spot. He’s on IR. For “knee soreness”.

I was referring to next year and his continued presence. He will be if he isn't cut. Then its a question of whether RR and MH value him more than the rest of us.

As desperate as we were, if he was ever going to play again, it would have happened already and he wouldn’t have been put on IR. Add that him getting injured would cost another 7M, I can’t see him coming back for any reason. 

He’ll be designated a post June 1 cut shortly after the season.

You seem very sure of this and I hope that you're right. But this is a team with a proven past addiction to paying and playing veterans who haven't merited their spot. Obviously Amini Is a classic example of this habit. I'm hopeful that things are changing though, and that they work out as you suggest.

52 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

Yeah maybe-I was just giving an example of a terrible contract which was traded away. I've read plenty of threads on here where people categorically state opposite interpretations of his contract. Honestly, I really no longer care.

Here's another question-Is he worth keeping on the roster when he is a liability-regardless of whether he's been paid or not?

With Ryan retiring after this season, could Matt transition to center and take a pay cut? Perhaps his lack of reach on the edge could be nullified in the middle of the line? Sometimes all it takes is a change in position and it's possible that he may be better suited for an interior position, though his paycheck is for that of an above average tackle.

1 minute ago, CPcavedweller said:

With Ryan retiring after this season, could Matt transition to center and take a pay cut? Perhaps his lack of reach on the edge could be nullified in the middle of the line? Sometimes all it takes is a change in position and it's possible that he may be better suited for an interior position, though his paycheck is for that of an above average tackle.

It's a thought but I would much rather, find a permanent replacement for RKalil through the draft or a proven starter like Larsen. One of the biggest knocks on MKalil seems to have been that he just doesn't have the drive to succeed and his health isn't reliable. He's also expressed in the past unwillingness to play other positions. He doesn't need the money and with his brother gone-where is his incentive to be better?

1 minute ago, Seoul_Panther said:

It's a thought but I would much rather, find a permanent replacement for RKalil through the draft or a proven starter like Larsen. One of the biggest knocks on MKalil seems to have been that he just doesn't have the drive to succeed and his health isn't reliable. He's also expressed in the past unwillingness to play other positions. He doesn't need the money and with his brother gone-where is his incentive to be better?

I would hope his drive for success is internal. Perhaps part of his drive as a kid was to live up to the family expectation and now that he feels he has done that there is no need to push it further. However, the onus is on him to find his drive and see if a position change would work because he wont be around much longer without it.

Personally, I believe that the Pro Bowler is still in him, but just not at left tackle. Some success in another position could jog that incentive. Put him at center and see what he can do. Larsen is solid but competition only weeds out the weak.

Archived