• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So.... We are done with Matt Kalil, right?

Jeremy Igo

7 minutes ago, Turnip said:

Is there anyone dumb enough to trade for him? I'm talking a 7th round pick...hell even a 7th round pick in 2030 would be worth getting him off the cap. Not sure why he got paid the way he did.

Actually we have to give up a pick in that scenario.  There may be a team with a lot of cap and looking for picks.  They could take Kalil and maybe a 4th to get him off our hands.  Probably worth it.

Just now, grimesgoat said:

Actually we have to give up a pick in that scenario.  There may be a team with a lot of cap and looking for picks.  They could take Kalil and maybe a 4th to get him off our hands.  Probably worth it.

It'd be a better use of our 4th round pick than what we've used 4th rounders on before.

Our 4th round picks over the years:

Ian Thomas, Marquis Haynes, Daryl Williams, Tre Boston, Edmund Kugbila, Frank Alexander, Joe Adams

Hell, it's a better use of a 4th round pick than our 2012 2nd round pick...

You think it would upset his brother?

8 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Maybe they reach an agreement with Kalil to drastically reduce his salary and stay on as a backup.

6 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

If we trade him, that 4.9M hits immediately(this year) and 9.8M next year. Which is much worse? Trading him is no different than cutting him. We gave him 25M guaranteed. He has all of it. We will have only accounted for 10.7M of that against the cap after this year. That leaves 14.7M left that is not going away.

1 hour ago, London Loves Luke said:
1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Williams will be allowed to compete for a spot next year.

Depends how much he expects to be paid to compete for a spot.

Exactly. He's only had 1 really good year ( I don't know when/if he's able to return) and is coming off knee surgery. You would think that he'd be affordable, but he is a starting tackle, and the NFL is crazy, so who knows. I still think we start next season with Moton (LT) and Williams (RT) as our starters. Clark is 33 and signed a 1 year, budget contract.

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

I hope we are done with Matt Kalil.  This could be the year both Kalils end their NFL careers.  The fact that Clark came off his couch and is playing a LOT better than Kalil is very telling.

Sometimes you swing and hit, other times you swing and miss.  Cut him, make a June 1st cut, and move on from him.

Chris Clark and Taylor Moton are extremely encouraging with how they're playing, that's for sure.  I sure hope we don't mess with a good thing if they continue to play well.  Norv's play calls are helping.  We don''t need all pros, just CONSISTENTLY solid play.  That's what Clark and Moton are giving.  (Moton may actually be playing at close to an elite level...., I'm not a great judge).

Ron values consistency.  He's getting it.  I hope we let this line gel.

A bit of a tangent here, but while on the topic of Matt Kalil, I have to confess I was letting my frustration with Matt, his injuries and his contract spill over to color my attitude toward Ryan Kalil as well a few weeks ago.  I am thrilled Ryan has been healthy and has been providing such stellar leadership at Center.  I think it's a HUGE factor in how well and how quickly Chris Clark settled in on the line, and it's got to be helping young guys like GVR, Moton & Larsen as well.  Can't imagine where we'd be if he had been out the past 2 weeks.  

1 hour ago, gmonjimbo said:

I'm saying that Matt Kalil has 20 mil dead cap hit this year if they cut him or a 14 mil dead cap hit if they cut him next year. I'm not sure if they are willing to do that. Regardless, Kalil should not be a starter. 

Here an idea, lets find someone that will take him in a trade. He is a LT, and I know he sucks, but someone will pay his salary if he is serviceable. The real question is can he be serviceable again. Ill take two donuts and bag of Fritos, and dump his nasty salary on someone else.

Rivera sticking with vets is an issue, but even he's not this stubborn and blind. Also, he'd like to remain employed, so I'm going to bet that Matt sits on the bench the rest of the year unless god forbid someone else gets hurt. We've only had two Sean Gilberts in our almost 25 years. That's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. 

14 minutes ago, philit99 said:

Here an idea, lets find someone that will take him in a trade. He is a LT, and I know he sucks, but someone will pay his salary if he is serviceable. The real question is can he be serviceable again. Ill take two donuts and bag of Fritos, and dump his nasty salary on someone else.

Who in the world is going to trade for him?  Some sports writer for another team said he should not even be in the league.  I liked to that a few weeks ago.

Archived