• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NOW: Live Panthers Q&A with Nick Carboni from NBC Charlotte

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

All said a done, which WR on the Panthers leads the team in yards and TDs at the end of the year.

Christian McCaffrey lol.

But seriously? I'm going to take a total shot in the dark here and say Moore. He's kind of a combination of what each of the other WR's does...a little bit of speed...a little bit of quickness...a little bit of strength...and he's got the explosiveness to make it happen after the catch.

I could very well be proven wrong on that at season's end...but to have a really good season on offense...I think they need him to become that.

1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

What are the chances Rivera goes back to Kalil when he comes off injury?

So much can happen between now and then. But he's a football coach. If those other guys (Clark at LT and Moton at RT) are rolling? And the 5 guys they have in there aren't broken? No need to fix it.

But that's a long time from now.

14 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Sadly Haynes has longer to go than Obada IMO.

That was pretty much what Dwight Freeney had too.  Well, that and a spin move.

Speed alone can be countered.  Haynes will probably need some really good technique to succeed at his size.

Guess you've gotta hope he's more Dwight Freeney than Everette Brown.

Realistic expectation for when Samuel will return? After bye or several more weeks? 

Could D Williams return when eligible or is he most likely out for the year?

Is Moton locked back into RT now with the Clark signing and putting him at RT and if Kalil comes back to LT? Or could we see him on the left side again? Was hoping we'd keep him there permanently and never look back...

Early in the season but does the team have more urgency with getting a win this game and going into the bye, or is it just another game?

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper has mentioned wanting more usage of analytics in the Panthers future planning and coaching.  Do the Panthers already have the people in place to do that sort of thing or is that a need for the future?  Also, any idea how people Ron Rivera, Marty Hurney, Norv Turner and others feel about this idea?

Sorry I missed this!

Yes Tepper is very adamant that analytics be used going forward.

I'm not aware of anyone on staff that has that as an expertise...but as we've seen in many franchises across multiple sports...outside guys..."non football" etc., are often hired...positions could be created.

And we'll see what happens after this season with Hurney. 

Just now, t96 said:

Realistic expectation for when Samuel will return? After bye or several more weeks? 

Could D Williams return when eligible or is he most likely out for the year?

Is Moton locked back into RT now with the Clark signing and putting him at RT and if Kalil comes back to LT? Or could we see him on the left side again? Was hoping we'd keep him there permanently and never look back...

Early in the season but does the team have more urgency with getting a win this game and going into the bye, or is it just another game?

-Samuel is a big ? -- Panthers being very tight-lipped on his "medical issue"/reported heart procedure. He's been in and out of practice. I haven't seen enough heart procedures in football to know a good timeline on coming back.

-Williams would be extremely difficult to come back after the 8 weeks I would think. Two major knee injuries to the same knee. Already trotted himself out there before he was probably ready. 

-Was just one week, but the 5 guys played well together with Clark at LT...and he's buying in...gaining the trust of his teammates...specifically the other guys on the line. He's a natural LT and Moton is a natural RT. So as long as things go well going forward, that's where they'd stay. If that line isn't broken when Kalil comes back, I wouldn't try and fix it. But that's a long ways off.

-Little bit of both right? There's only 16 games...there's a sense of urgency to win all of them. It's not a division game...but it's a home game...and you want to take care of this. It's never just another game!

At this point, the coaching staff has emphasized slowly bringing DJ Moore in, given that he's a bit raw with some aspects as a WR as expected. On the outside, he has shown he needs refinement in fix with his release against press. While he's fantastic at the top of the route,  in college and certain training camp/preseason clips, he has shown to get disrupted with jams early on going against press and get caught by the defender.

Even then, he's still very much a machine at getting YAC. His ability with the ball in his hands shows plenty of potential that could be nurtured now. For example, putting him in space like we saw against Atlanta showed just how explosive he is. In the slot, he could be really effective and slowly work his way into being an outside receiver. 

I was wondering how Norv Turner and the coaching staff are thinking of using more of DJ Moore. Is their concern about his learning curve too much to give him more snaps and opportunities as a possible primary read in Cam's progressions, or do they think they had a true wakeup call from DJ Moore's play on the dig route over the middle of the field he ran on the y-cross concept and plan to try to get him the ball more?

If they do plan on using him more, how do you think they would?

Just now, Saca312 said:

At this point, the coaching staff has emphasized slowly bringing DJ Moore in, given that he's a bit raw with some aspects as a WR as expected. On the outside, he has shown he needs refinement in fix with his release against press. While he's fantastic at the top of the route,  in college and certain training camp/preseason clips, he has shown to get disrupted with jams early on going against press and get caught by the defender.

Even then, he's still very much a machine at getting YAC. His ability with the ball in his hands shows plenty of potential that could be nurtured now. For example, putting him in space like we saw against Atlanta showed just how explosive he is. In the slot, he could be really effective and slowly work his way into being an outside receiver. 

I was wondering how Norv Turner and the coaching staff are thinking of using more of DJ Moore. Is their concern about his learning curve too much to give him more snaps and opportunities as a possible primary read in Cam's progressions, or do they think they had a true wakeup call from DJ Moore's play on the dig route over the middle of the field he ran on the y-cross concept?

That's some astute film study you've done there.

To your last point, I think they want to put more on his plate, and that he can handle it. With so many guys brought in to spread the ball around, that it made sense to bring him in slowly. But they need a game-breaker. 

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

The Panthers Dline looked like jeckle and hyde week 1 to week 2.  Is Atlanta's Oline that much better than Dallas? Did we do something different in our approach?

Penetration from the DT's was surprisingly not there enough. You'd expect Short/Poe to really be a force every game. There were plays RR says his guys "took the easy way out"

Basically allowing themselves to play right in to what the opposing OLine was trying to do instead of dictating, pushing the pocket, getting an edge. I'd expect them to play much better after that, especially at home.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Part of me also wonders whether seeing Calvin Ridley perform like he did made Rivera stop and think about his approach with DJ Moore.

Well, to be fair, I would argue Calvin Ridley is a far more refined route runner coming out than DJ Moore. However, that was to be expected for a near 24 year old receiver coming out of Alabama. You better hope for a guy that age you're getting someone who knows his stuff immediately.

DJ Moore is far more younger and was part of a program that really hampered his development overall. His potential is through the roof and that program helped add traits to his game that allow him to make plays when the offense around him is terrible. However, it's clear they lacked in teaching him route running fundamentals and how to beat press. 

We got a guy we are betting on his high upside over a finished older product like Ridley, who's ceiling likely isn't going to be much higher. I think the coaching staff understands DJ Moore's current limitations, however I think they need to think about maximizing what DJ Moore is already good at imo. 

Glad that Nick Carboni did say he believes DJ Moore will get more snaps and opportunities. Hopefully Norv will show he can maximize DJ Moore's talent no matter how they feel how he is progressing as a WR so far. 

Will have to agree I think they're slightly more motivated after seeing Ridley though. As they should be.

Archived