• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My experience with Thomas Davis this morning

TheCasillas

Saw this...

What's that got to do with Davis?  Well, the "big nickel" was previously envisioned as a role Shaq Thompson might play.  The fact that they're now planning to ease Rashaan Gaulden into that role implies that Thompson will be focused on being a linebacker, which further increases the likelihood that he's going to be taking playing time away from Davis even when he returns from suspension.

MechaZain is likely correct that Jerry Richardson would have kept Thomas Davis a Panther (and maybe even a starter) for as long as he wanted to be.  And while Davis is one of the true "good guys" of the world, that's not how you run a successful football team.

A lot of bold reaches and reactions off of a conversation relayed via message board. No offense intended at all by the way op that was an excellent observational post....but some of you alls reactions are ridiculous. I’m absolutely positive that Tepper won’t coddle Thomas Davis like JR likely did but he can still play football. At the end of the day it’s gonna be a football decision and I think to a man even TD himself knows he’d be most effective in a lesser role. Do you think he’d rather uproot and take a lesser role with the Saints Falcons or Patriots or take it with the organization he’s been with his entire career? Nothing is in stone but some of y’all need to get a grip. If he comes out and stinks it up he’s gonna be shown the door if he’s still a solid TD that’s lost a step but can still be a valuable player in limited playing time and he still wants to play I’m sure we’ll offer him a fair contract. No top team is gonna pay him to be a 3 down linebacker and if he goes to Buffalo or Arizona or a comparable team to be a starter good luck and I’ll wish him well from afar. 

Davis has to know he doesn’t have much time left as a player. Young guys coming in who can run faster and play at or near his skill level will be wanted more. 

I don’t believe Tepper will let Davis go after this season, he’ll be offered a backup role. It’ll be up to Davis to accept or decline. Tepper doesn’t want another Steve Smith scenario.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not surprising that a player who has been with the Panthers as long as TD and who had (maybe still has) a great relationship with JR isn't exactly thrilled about JR being forced out and having a new owner.

JR also kept TD around and paid him during all those knee injuries...when the majority of owners would have parted with him or not paid him and who knows what would have happened to him and his career.   Can't just assume he just would have had the same career for a different team.   Understandable he would be a JR guy. 

I also don't read much into old guys saying the don't plan on retiring.  Hard to walk away from them game checks and the only game lifestyle he has known. 

but kudos to Davis.  One of the good guys. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Saw this...

What's that got to do with Davis?  Well, the "big nickel" was previously envisioned as a role Shaq Thompson might play.  The fact that they're now planning to ease Rashaan Gaulden into that role implies that Thompson will be focused on being a linebacker, which further increases the likelihood that he's going to be taking playing time away from Davis even when he returns from suspension.

MechaZain is likely correct that Jerry Richardson would have kept Thomas Davis a Panther (and maybe even a starter) for as long as he wanted to be.  And while Davis is one of the true "good guys" of the world, that's not how you run a successful football team.

I was hoping that "big nickel" bullshit was just out of necessity. I can't believe we're going to entertain this as a real solution for the future in an increasingly pass happy NFL. I could certainly see it used situationally, but I don't think you draft a guy in the 3rd round with the intention of only using him for a handful of snaps per game.

Also, this is just further evidence that we hate the safety position and refuse to invest any meaningful resources into it. We thought we just spent a 3rd on a safety. A pretty good investment in the position given our fairly lengthy history of completely neglecting it. Nope. We drafted a "big nickel".

Lastly, if you're Munnerlyn and you see this, you know you're getting cut next off-season. Seeing his saltiness last year that had him in the doghouse for most of the season, it'll be curious how that goes over if he catches wind of this.

5 hours ago, PanthersBigD said:

Yeah, I'd put the the neutral tone of the Tepper comments to mean that he may be worried he won't get the same special treatment he got from Richardson. I like Tepper even more if that's true. 

If we had Thomas Davis we wouldve won last week. The Falcons exploited the poo out of his absence in the run game.

27 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

He states it's Shaq's time

Yes, but we are a base 4-3 defense, not 4-2-5. Thus he isn't taking Shaq's spot but filling another OLB position, specifically the one Mayo is playing. In Nickel packages, sure, he may shark snaps from Shaq but in our base defense a huge hole is left without him.

Archived