• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF: Panthers pressure Ryan only 7 times on 33 passes

Jeremy Igo

Just now, BrianS said:

This is wrong thinking.

Pass rush helping the secondary is still just as true today as it has ever been.  The problem is . . . we didn't get any pass rush.  Forget about sacks . . . we rarely even made the QB move against Atlanta.  Our secondary, frankly, was rather good against Atlanta.

Our secondary really wasn't that good.  Atlanta was gashing us on the ground with ease so didn't need to throw the ball.  Matt Ryan put up 270 yards on us just by the inconvenience of having to throw the ball.  Easily picked up 3rd and longs all game.

Atlanta just knows how to block the Panthers D-Line. Eric Washington has been running the same stunts and plays on the line since 2011. I think we're really underestimating the Falcons familiarity with the Panthers defense for this loss. New Orleans does the same stuff. The Bengals haven't played the Panthers since 2014 and face a much lower level of talent in the AFC. Especially being a home game, I expect the Panthers to play much better on Sunday.

Couple things I think attribute to that, for one I’m sure having guys running butt naked wide open didn’t do the d line any favors, multiple plays where the d line were seconds away from either sacking Ryan or hitting him and causing an off throw. 2, Shaq although not very great in coverage is a pretty good pass rusher, and I hope when td is back he is used more in games where our d line cant create constant pressure. 

When we are rushing four there shouldn’t be any reason in the world why someone is wide tf open with no defender in sight 

15 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

2, Shaq although not very great in coverage is a pretty good pass rusher, and I hope when td is back he is used more in games where our d line cant create constant pressure. 

When we are rushing four there shouldn’t be any reason in the world why someone is wide tf open with no defender in sight 

Also, they can send Gaulden or DJax to blitz as well. They should never send Captain Munnerlyn out there. It's an automatic completion for the offense 

38 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Atlanta just knows how to block the Panthers D-Line. Eric Washington has been running the same stunts and plays on the line since 2011. I think we're really underestimating the Falcons familiarity with the Panthers defense for this loss. New Orleans does the same stuff. The Bengals haven't played the Panthers since 2014 and face a much lower level of talent in the AFC. Especially being a home game, I expect the Panthers to play much better on Sunday.

This.

Watched a film room episode with Brett Kollman about how the Saints explicitly schemed for weaknesses in our D last year. It was little stuff that other non-division teams would likely never pick up on.

Saints and Falcons know how to pick us apart more than any other team. Fortunately we've shaken up our offense so it's much less predictable. But on defense there's gonna be stuff good teams can exploit due to continuity of players and scheme.

I like Addison and Horton as complementary pieces but 4 out of our 6 DEs are UDFAs and then Peppers has played for 15 years. That poo catches up to you on the road, especially against very solid OLs in New Orleans and Atlanta where they have the combination of strong interiors to deal with our DTs and then they have at least one above average OT

2 hours ago, KB_fan said:

This.

Watched a film room episode with Brett Kollman about how the Saints explicitly schemed for weaknesses in our D last year. It was little stuff that other non-division teams would likely never pick up on.

Saints and Falcons know how to pick us apart more than any other team. Fortunately we've shaken up our offense so it's much less predictable. But on defense there's gonna be stuff good teams can exploit due to continuity of players and scheme.

I really hope they give the younger DE's some more playing time. If one of Haynes, Obada, or Cox can step up into a 5+ sack guy this year, that'd be huge.

Archived