• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF: Panthers pressure Ryan only 7 times on 33 passes

Jeremy Igo

You're right, but I'm going to chalk this one up to the crazy week Hurricane Florence brought to the Carolinas. I've got nothing else to base it on, but there has to be a reason the guys who were all over Prescott the week before couldn't even make Ryan a bit nervous in the pocket.

I know the Cowboys weren't at full strength on their O-line and Atlanta has a great zone blocking scheme, but our guys just looked tired out there from the very start.

We'll know better after they face the Bengals. They sure do need to show more aggression.

2 minutes ago, countryboi said:

its hard as poo to rush the passer when you are getting your ass kicked in the running game, we have to stop the run

Kind of this.  You can't rush the passer when its 2nd and 3 and you have to play the run first and Ryan take a 3 step drop.

You would think with KK, Poe, and Vern we'd be pressuring the qb every other attempt regardless of DE play. The peaks and troughs of this defense under Rivera have been mind boggling for the past couple years. Sometimes they look like a top 3 defense. Straight gang busters. And other times, like on Sunday, they look like ass cheeks. Hard to find one thing to point at. Maybe it's just me, but I swear playing on turf is our kryptonite. I feel like we lose our mojo on turf every single time. We need a new practice facility bad. 

Yeah, I'm not surprised by that stat in the slightest. I hope they have a quick fix for this crap because they're going to need it.

Sidenote - Atlanta got a mini bye due to their Thursday night game the week before. I'm sure they were able to dedicate some extra practices to neutralizing some of our strengths. Unfortunately, we have to play the Bengals who are also coming off a mini Bye this week as well, which sucks, but their #1 RB is injured so hopefully we can stop the run and focus on stopping a surprisingly solid Andy Dalton and AJ Green. 

Kind of a head scratcher.  I think we could be stronger at defensive end, but with the talent we have on the interior you'd think the pressure would be relentless.  I think one thing we lack is that truly deadly edge rusher that a lot of the great defenses have.  But you can't have stars at every position.  Just can't afford it.  I think when it's all said and done, Atlanta just had a damn good scheme on Sunday and they came to ball.  

I would like to see us change defensive philosophy for a few seasons and try to strengthen the secondary.  I think that would help the pass rush immensely.  The "pass rush helps the secondary" line has been used way too long in Carolina.  It just doesn't apply to today's NFL like it used to.

Just now, DeAngelo Beason said:

I would like to see us change defensive philosophy for a few seasons and try to strengthen the secondary.  I think that would help the pass rush immensely.  The "pass rush helps the secondary" line has been used way too long in Carolina.  It just doesn't apply to today's NFL like it used to.

This is wrong thinking.

Pass rush helping the secondary is still just as true today as it has ever been.  The problem is . . . we didn't get any pass rush.  Forget about sacks . . . we rarely even made the QB move against Atlanta.  Our secondary, frankly, was rather good against Atlanta.

Peppers and Addison are both coming off 11 sack seasons, KK and Poe are supposedly great interior pass rushers and we drafted a dynamic situational pass rusher this year.  There's no reason we shouldn't be able to get some pressure.  Either these guys did mail it in, or we've got another defensive coordinator problem on our hands.

Archived