• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final Roster - Biggest concerns

Jeremy Igo

35 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

He never said nor intimated we were "desperate," that's your spin. We are in the market for CB help. That's no surprise considering 2 guys we were gonna rely upon are now on IR. Would you rate our current crop of CBs worse than last year's?

We're on the market for CB help? You just said the position was settled. Which is it?

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're on the market for CB help? You just said the position was settled. Which is it?

It's settled for now. We tried to make a trade for a vet CB because Rivera is skittish about our inexperience there. In order to avoid being taken advantage of, he hid the fact that Seymour was going to IR. Regardless, trade didn't work out, so we signed Doss. We will continue to be in the market for a vet CB until our CBs prove to Rivera they can handle the job.

BTW, every team is constantly trying to get better, so saying the position is "settled for now," which is what I said, doesn't mean they won't keep their eyes open for potential deals.

And I'll ask again, do you consider our CB group improved from last year, worse, or about the same?

Taylor Moton may have looked good in his limited play at LT; however, it appears as though that limited time at LT (in preseason I might add) is his only time at LT. He played RT and OG at Western Michigan, but never LT. This worries me. I hope we are not on a path to prove a fundamental truth - as bad as things are they can always be worse. For that matter, what happens if Moton gets injured?

Furthermore, I suspect that our offense game plan  is likely to be greatly impacted by the fact that the Panthers will need to provide some help for Moton. Plenty of chipping TEs, RB blocking, and quick hitting passes will be on display. Norv Turner will definitely need to earn his money.

58 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

needs to be noted that we have a new OC with a new system, and our 3rd straight year with a new DC.

If we can win the first two games, I'll feel a lot better, but adjusting to 2 new coordinators could very well mean losing a game we could have won.

All valid...

Well a top 3 front 7 would normally make everyone feel good, even with a legion of WHO playing defensive back,..

However with the new rules and pass rush having to play flag football to keep from being suspended or broke,.

I am going to say we are behind and playing an old game without the new rules.  Its quite possible that defensive backs will be more important than in a long time so a pass rush can more focus on getting their hands up, and harassing a quarterback into bad decisions-- interception happy defensive backs waiting.

Hoping for a pass rush to put a quarterback down now comes with the consequences-- therefore I could see players backing off, then weak corners are even more exposed than before.

So, I am concerned more about the secondary than in a long time.

First, I think the panthers believe we can live until Daryl williams gets back and frankly, I agree.  Even 1 more injury and we're in panic mode there, but as of right now, no need to panic.

At DB, I have a theory, and it's just mine.  I think we're waiting to next week to make a move.  I really believe/hope we have someone like eric reid in mind but we want to wait until contracts aren't guaranteed to make the signing, which would mean monday.  The main reason I think this is because the cowboys receivers are arguably about as bad as we trotted out last year.  If we can limp through a week or 2 and then pick up a good vet without a guaranteed contract, that truly is great management on hurneys part.

8 hours ago, Pup McBarky said:

Out of that group, only the Saints look good. The Falcons had a horrible preseason and look completely out of sync. The Bucs have a brewing QB controversy and they are the Bucs. We don't have questions at safety, CB, or backup QB. As much as people want to complain about those groups, they are settled for the time being and across the board appear to be upgrades from last year. And while there are legitimate questions about our OL, they are far less alarming than they were even a few days ago.

You really shouldn't judge the Falcons on their preseason performance. Quinn don't care about how the team looks. He wants the starters healthy and to evaluate bottom of the roster players. Julio Jones, Freeman and Deon Jones didn't play 12 snaps between them. 3rd game had 4 starters as healthy scratches.

He has been known to swap out the entire Oline every 3 plays. 4th snap from scrimmage first game this year, he had a defense w/ 5 rookies who'd never taken a snap on the field together and one starter. 75 QBs threw more passes this preseason than Ryan.  He'll   put  the entire 2nd team on the field against the opponents 1st team, just to see how they'd do.

Quinn has repeatedly said he doesn't game plan, that he treats preseason differently than regular season, that he'll call plays that have nothing to do with the down and distance because he wants to get a look at a player in a certain situation. Can give you the quotes if you want them.

Falcons return 37 players from a team that has won playoff games in back to back years, plus a nice looking rookie class and some solid FAs. This is a really good team.

You can dismiss this as me  just being a homer, but I'm not. Quin DGAF about stats and record in preseason.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:27 PM, falconidae said:

You can dismiss this as me  just being a homer, but I'm not. Quin DGAF about stats and record in preseason.

Falcons are the only team in the NFL that does not currently have at least one player on IR/PUP/NFI. They are the healthiest team in the league starting the season.

Archived