• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers have a pass rush?

Jeremy Igo

This is actually something Im worried about. Depending on a 38 yr old Pep to do what he did last year, idk.

I think KK needs to return to his all pro form of 2015 in order for us to be an elite defense. I believe we'll be a good/great defense regardless, but to be elite KK has to dominate, and Poe has to be a noticeable upgrade over Star. 

With the secondary being so suspect, the Dline just being "good" may not be good enough.

The answer to this question will depend on the development of the younger/newer guys.  We know what Addison can do while Peppers is still good in limited snaps. And Horton is relatively effective.  If Haynes and Cox, (or Hall if he makes it) come on strong, we could be good.  If not, it might be a long season.  

I think a lot will change once our normal starting rotation is in there.  Honestly we have been getting pressure all over the place, from what I have seen, just havent been actually getting the QB to the ground.  I think we will be ok.  We lead the NFL in total sacks the last 2 seasons.  Led the league in sacks last season, with pretty much the same group of guys.  

This link is filled with all kinds of crazy stats, jump to page 11 if you want to feel better. 

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/upload/panthers/t6bvorwsq5yfquiyiapo.pdf

Spoiler alert. Since Washington became the d-line coach in 2012 we lead the league with 218 sacks generated from the d-line alone. That’s well ahead of 2nd place (rams 198).

We also lead the league in total sacks (260) over that same time span

I think our pass rush is easily above average. I think the issue in the past has been that so often the secondary doesn't force the quarterbacks to hold the ball at all. We give up so much underneath that opposing qbs can get rid of the ball two seconds after the snap on a regular basis.

Archived