• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OK, who are your surprise veteran cuts now?

Jeremy Igo

19 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

- Da'Norris Searcy (injury settlement)

- C.J. Anderson

- Matt Kalil (injury settlement)

- Torrey Smith (would be a mistake)

- Captain Munnerlyn

CJ would be a big surprise for me, but that’s a very good guess. I mean he barely plays with the ones now, unless it’s just to save him for the regular season or something along those lines. 

9 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

CJ would be a big surprise for me, but that’s a very good guess. I mean he barely plays with the ones now, unless it’s just to save him for the regular season or something along those lines. 

I'd be SHOCKED if CJ were cut. His playing later in the preseason is almost certainly to evaluate CAP against better defenders and perhaps shop him. CJ excels in pass pro. Very important with our banged up line. I think Norv is just hiding his cards a bit.

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Well Ron Rivera THE HEAD COACH should step up and demand it instead of just giving his opinion considering its his team and all.  Any head coach that can't step up and make important decisions for his team based off his own evaluations is not a head coach. Thats sounds more like a assistant coach or coordinator. And to have complete trust in a guy like shula with no type of prior success was even worse.

Not having a history of success doesn't necessarily bother me.

Having a history of failure does...a lot.

14 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I don't believe he has a guaranteed contract, does he? If he was cut from a team for non-performance or injury, he isn't getting the money, but the team would still be on the hook cap-wise. An injury settlement to retire, though, would put money in his pocket and free us up from the cap impact, if I've read it right.

I sure could be wrong, though, and it would require both parties wanting to work something out, and I have no real knowledge of either party being motivated to go down such a path, much less both.

Pure speculation and spitballing ideas.

How exactly would a injury settlement work?  Also I don't think it does anything for the dead money on his contract.  His salary this year isn't the problem, its the acceleration of dead money that would happen.

If overthecap.com is correct it is even worse, according to them his 2019 base salary of $7m is guaranteed for injury. https://overthecap.com/player/matt-kalil/1793/

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

How exactly would a injury settlement work?  Also I don't think it does anything for the dead money on his contract.  His salary this year isn't the problem, its the acceleration of dead money that would happen.

If overthecap.com is correct it is even worse, according to them his 2019 base salary of $7m is guaranteed for injury. https://overthecap.com/player/matt-kalil/1793/

I just read a little on the injury settlement thing and it’s not for players with any decent sized contract. It’s more for minimum level contracts. Not going to help. 

That injury guarantee is just another reason to.bench him. As long as he’s healthy, it doesn’t matter. 

Alright, with the constant talk on Matt Kalil's contract....All of this being dependent on Over the Cap's info being correct. 

He's not going ANYWHERE this year. Unless he retires.

Next year?  Only viable option is to post June 1st cut him.  Admittedly I don't know how this works, but it seems we'll carry 4.9 million in dead cap, and save 8 million. We'll have to continue carrying that 4.9 dead cap for another year (maybe two more?) with the post-June 1st cut, but he's off the books and saves us money every year....albeit late, but that cash can be used to sign draft picks and late cuts if nothing else. 

Would be nice if he gets called into Tepper's office and "asked" to retire with a nice little check sent his way discretely. 

12 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Alright, with the constant talk on Matt Kalil's contract....All of this being dependent on Over the Cap's info being correct. 

Next year?  Only viable option is to post June 1st cut him.  Admittedly I don't know how this works, but it seems we'll carry 4.9 million in dead cap, and save 8 million. We'll have to continue carrying that 4.9 dead cap for another year (maybe two more?) with the post-June 1st cut, but he's off the books and saves us money every year....albeit late, but that cash can be used to sign draft picks and late cuts if nothing else. 

Would be nice if he gets called into Tepper's office and "asked" to retire with a nice little check sent his way discretely. 

From what I’ve gathered it will be this over two years. That’s as long as you get to pay it off. 

2019- 4.9M

2020-9.8M

47 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I'd be SHOCKED if CJ were cut. His playing later in the preseason is almost certainly to evaluate CAP against better defenders and perhaps shop him. CJ excels in pass pro. Very important with our banged up line. I think Norv is just hiding his cards a bit.

Good point in the pass pro. He did a heck of a job in the first pre season game.

Not that they're stars or anything but I still find it crazy we have Anderson and Smith.  You just get so used to players on certain teams and now they're with us.  I think we'll end up going with CMC-CJ-Barner for the year. 

I agree with Searcy.  We should look t pick up a random FS on the fly to have ahead of Gaulden until ready.  

2 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

I would take the 4.9 mill dead cap hit to free up 8 million next season in a heartbeat if Moton looks good at LT

9 minutes ago, SOJA said:

I would take the 4.9 mill dead cap hit to free up 8 million next season in a heartbeat if Moton looks good at LT

Yuppppp. You pay Matt Kalil to go away, and afford to keep Funchess for instance.  Sucks to have the dead cap hit, but it's an absolute no brainer compared to paying for the product Matt has shown on the field.  Best case scenario is retirement, only other viable option is a June 1st cut and eat 13-14 million over a couple years. 

Archived