• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OK, who are your surprise veteran cuts now?

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

All fairness I'm not advocating for Smith to be cut as of now. I just hope he doesn't get snaps over Curtis Samuel.

He'll be fine in certain situations and for veteran experience. But as a pure player I don't think he's as good as he's used to be.

Cool, I just don’t get those that are advocating it

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Man, Matt Kalil is a quandary.

We have only a limited sample of Taylor Moton as yet, but that sample came under the same control conditions as what we've seen from Kalil. And Moton unquestionably looked better.

Unless Moton suddenly looks awful (and he's guaranteed to have some tough moments as a young transitioning into arguably the hardest job on the line) it'd be pretty hard to justify sitting him down in favor of Kalil.

Kalil has said he's a left tackle, not a right one. So if he's healthy do you try and convince him otherwise? If not, are you willing to weather the firestorm that comes from putting him back at on the left spot?

And that contract? Cap wise it's a very  "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Oy...

If he doesn't want to move to RT, if needed, then that's some mighty expensive pine he'll be sitting on as a second stringer. Rather than be cut, I wonder if they might not try to get a medical settlement deal worked out before the start of the season. It might be the best way for him to exit gracefully and without killing our salary cap for two years. And let's face it, with the video resume he has been posting for all but his freshman year in the league, I don't think there would be a huge line waiting at the door for him if cut.

1 minute ago, panther4life said:

Cool, I just don’t get those that are advocating it

Given that we need WR depth, it'd be bad for a guy like him to be cut. Have to remember how many WRs we went through last year due to injuries and what happened in a possible playoff run we could've gone deep in.

I just would hate for him to get significant playing time that isn't warranted. I'm all for using him sparingly, but I want our young guys like Curtis Samuel featured more. Hell, if the coaching staff finally realizes maybe DJ Moore would be better in the slot I'd love that as well over Smith getting the snaps.

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

If he doesn't want to move to RT, if needed, then that's some mighty expensive pine he'll be sitting on as a second stringer. Rather than be cut, I wonder if they might not try to get a medical settlement deal worked out before the start of the season. It might be the best way for him to exit gracefully and without killing our salary cap for two years. And let's face it, with the video resume he has been posting for all but his freshman year in the league, I don't think there would be a huge line waiting at the door for him if cut.

Is that realistically possible with the level of contract he has?

Injury settlements happen all the time,  but generally not to people with multimilliondollar deals.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Injury settlements happen all the time,  but generally not to people with multimilliondollar deals.

I’ve never looked into them. Like you said,  the contracts are usually smaller ones. 

Just guessing, but it’s probably not an option with that injury guarantee for next year. They would probably have to buy that off to go away. He’s got all the money but his 1M base salary for this year. He’ll have that shortly. But I can’t see much cap relief. If any. You pay it...it counts. Sooner or later. 

3 hours ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

If you listen to Ron Rivera the head coach of the panthers instead of Huddlers you would know that Rivera was praising CAP saying coaches need to get him more touches since he brings a physical running style to the offense  & can do other facets like pass protection/receiving.

Well Ron Rivera THE HEAD COACH should step up and demand it instead of just giving his opinion considering its his team and all.  Any head coach that can't step up and make important decisions for his team based off his own evaluations is not a head coach. Thats sounds more like a assistant coach or coordinator. And to have complete trust in a guy like shula with no type of prior success was even worse.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't believe he has a guaranteed contract, does he? If he was cut from a team for non-performance or injury, he isn't getting the money, but the team would still be on the hook cap-wise. An injury settlement to retire, though, would put money in his pocket and free us up from the cap impact, if I've read it right.

I sure could be wrong, though, and it would require both parties wanting to work something out, and I have no real knowledge of either party being motivated to go down such a path, much less both.

Pure speculation and spitballing ideas.

6 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I don't believe he has a guaranteed contract, does he? If he was cut from a team for non-performance or injury, he isn't getting the money, but the team would still be on the hook cap-wise. An injury settlement to retire, though, would put money in his pocket and free us up from the cap impact, if I've read it right.

I sure could be wrong, though, and it would require both parties wanting to work something out, and I have no real knowledge of either party being motivated to go down such a path, much less both.

Pure speculation and spitballing ideas.

He already has all the money we are giving him except his salary for this year which is only 1M and it’s guaranteed anyhow. There is no way around this. 

Archived