• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OK, who are your surprise veteran cuts now?

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I think for sanity's sake you've got to take this attitude. The contract is what it is. Just put the best players on the field. I'm ok with paying Matt to sit on the bench if Moton is the better player, which looks to be true. 

In that scenario just got to hope that Matt could actually play if needed. And two, that benching him doesn't cause a locker room problem. (Would Ryan cause a stink?) 

Maybe Ron can ask Cam his opinion and just say what #1 wants, #1 gets, in terms of his blindside protection.

That’s probably more of a factor than I want to believe it is. But players know what’s up. They all watch film together. If Moton is better and Ryan throws a fit, his support will be minimal. They gave Matt a year+ and 25M. Nobody feels sorry for him. 

But reality is somewhere in between probably. Tell Matt to play RT and you have about 6 games to put some good film out there. After that, we will see. He doesn’t like it, declare him inactive and don’t risk injury.  What’s the going rate for awful LTs who won’t even try RT when the team needs it? He will play and like it. 

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

CAP, but that wouldn't really be a surprise.

Amini? We can hope... 

Torrey is perhaps not 100% safe if we need cap space or trade bait due to injuries, but I'd hate to see him cut. I think he will make some big plays...

Lol don’t blame keyboards on this one, both are safe but as usual Huddlers regurgiate what they are fed by others. 

1 hour ago, thennek said:

I suppose not as surprising as another 3rd round pick that got cut  in his “first year”...before the first game. Remember Atiyyah Ellison? He barely made through the preseason. 

Corvey Irvin - I think he was another 3rd DT who didn’t pan out. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

His cap hit is something like 10 million, and there was a way to get out of that if he had been cut prior to a certain deadline. Heck, he could conceivably have been cut and brought back on a low one year deal.

I'm hoping for a good year from Ryan, but I seriously question whether he's going to have a year that's worth 10 million dollars.

Theres still a way to get out if it was really warranted it (its not Imo). We sacrificed an extra 1.5 in cap savings by not cutting him before the roster bonus kicked in. 

Right now it would cost us 4.5 in dead money to cut him, for a net cap relief of 5.5 million. Had we done it in march, it would have saved us 7 million.

7 million is a nice chunk of change, but it still leaves a roster spot to fill and anyone of decent quality would have cost at least 2-3 million, knocking that savings down. 

Who would you have brought into replace him if we did cut him? Obviously when healthy the coaching staff firmly believes he's better than Larsen and I don't disagree with them.

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That’s probably more of a factor than I want to believe it is. But players know what’s up. They all watch film together. If Moton is better and Ryan throws a fit, his support will be minimal. They gave Matt a year+ and 25M. Nobody feels sorry for him. 

But reality is somewhere in between probably. Tell Matt to play RT and you have about 6 games to put some good film out there. After that, we will see. He doesn’t like it, declare him inactive and don’t risk injury.  What’s the going rate for awful LTs who won’t even try RT when the team needs it? He will play and like it. 

Thay might not have been as much of an option before, but you can probably do that under Tepper.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Prevailing theory on bad has been that they're trying to get Cameron Artis-Payne to show something that justifies keeping him.

I'm not real sure he has.

If you listen to Ron Rivera the head coach of the panthers instead of Huddlers you would know that Rivera was praising CAP saying coaches need to get him more touches since he brings a physical running style to the offense  & can do other facets like pass protection/receiving.

Just now, panther4life said:

Theres still a way to get out if it was really warranted it (its not Imo). We sacrificed an extra 1.5 in cap savings by not cutting him before the roster bonus kicked in. 

Right now it would cost us 4.5 in dead money to cut him, for a net cap relief of 5.5 million. Had we done it in march, it would have saved us 7 million.

7 million is a nice chunk of change, but it still leaves a roster spot to fill and anyone of decent quality would have cost at least 2-3 million, knocking that savings down. 

Who would you have brought into replace him if we did cut him? Obviously when healthy the coaching staff firmly believes he's better than Larsen and I don't disagree with them.

You didn't necessarily have to bring in anybody. Tyler Larsen did okay when Kalil couldn't play last year. And there's also Van Roten, who's looking pretty good right now

1 hour ago, panther4life said:

I can't believe so many think Torrey Smith is on the chopping block here. He's currently our number 2 receiver. 

Ah yes the same one who’s consistently poor at tracking the ball, bad drops, and can’t outmuscle DBs since his stunt with the Eagles and earlier.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Thay might not have been as much of an option before, but you can probably do that under Tepper.

Me, personally, if Ryan said anything I’d tell him to go if he wants. He has to share some of the responsibility. He vouched for Matt, and his health. But that’s not really a logical first response...lol

2 minutes ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

If you listen to Ron Rivera the head coach of the panthers instead of Huddlers you would know that Rivera was praising CAP saying coaches need to get him more touches since he brings a physical running style to the offense  & can do other facets like pass protection/receiving.

Go back a few years and replace "CAP" with "Sione Fua" and the statement still applies.

(Charles Godfrey too)

Just now, Toomers said:

Me, personally, if Ryan said anything I’d tell him to go if he wants. He has to share some of the responsibility. He vouched for Matt, and his health. But that’s not really a logical first response...lol

Easier to do when you don't have someone in charge who tells the offensive coordinator that he's not allowed to talk to a certain player.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You back to suggesting wagers again? :)

How about you pay up on the previous ones you welched on with others first?

That’s if you would have won any of them :liar:. Don’t start with lies  again, you  still owe me for the 2 TEs bet loser.

I’ll say CAP will be on the 53 man roster competing for #2 RB spot. Winner gets to pick the profile pic of the loser? 

Archived