• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OK, who are your surprise veteran cuts now?

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

We had that debate a long time ago, but it doesn't matter. We're still stuck with a huge cap figure for a guy who's looked awful and now isn't even playing.

What do you do with that from here?

Theres no debate. Anyway theres nothing to do. The money has already been spent and theres no getting it back. There is no cap relief by cutting him, the opposite would happen actually. 

I am no fan of Matt Kalil at all or his grossly overpaid contract. He's a backup caliber left tackle in this league based off his play we have seen from him. If Moton continues looking better than Kalil at LT, I'd prefer we keep Moton as the starter.

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I don’t mean now. I mean sit him on the bench. Cutting him now doesn’t even save anything. I’m talking after this year. When other money becomes involved, like that 7M. 

And WHY does everyone(certainly not just you) keep repeating this lie about Hurney in Kalil’s contract. That restructure was written in from the beginning. No change. The ONLY decision Hurney made was to spread the 10M option bonus over 4 years. His ONLY other option was to decline it and have all 10M count on THIS year’s cap. So he did the right thing. 

And you know I think Hurney is the worst GM in the NFL. But this isn’t on him. 

Not really arguing that part so much as we're in a really bad situation with him now.

Benching him for the season? If we're basing it totally on ability, that's the right call. But even though it really shouldn't be so, decisions in the NFL aren't always based solely on ability.

As to Hurney, granted Matt's contract is a no-win situation. Ryan's contract is another story.

Neither Kalil brother has been especially great this preseason, and if it turns out we're paying 10 million solely for a guy with diminished ability to go out of the league with good feelings, that's an issue (and not one that anybody else could be blamed for).

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We had that debate a long time ago, but it doesn't matter. We're still stuck with a huge cap figure for a guy who's looked awful and now isn't even playing.

What do you do with that from here?

I just prefer to stick to the decisions(good and bad) he is actually responsible for. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not really arguing that part so much as we're in a really bad situation with him now.

Benching him for the season? If we're basing it totally on ability, that's the right call. But even though it really shouldn't be so, decisions in the NFL aren't always based solely on ability.

As to Hurney, granted Matt's contract is a no-win situation. Ryan's contract is another story. Neither Kalil brother has been especially great this preseason, and if it turns out we're paying 10 million solely for a guy with diminished ability to go out of the league with good feelings, that's an issue (and not one that anybody else could be blamed for).

Totally agree on Ryan. Especially when they see at least something in Larsen. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

As to Hurney, granted Matt's contract is a no-win situation. Ryan's contract is another story.

Neither Kalil brother has been especially great this preseason, and if it turns out we're paying 10 million solely for a guy with diminished ability to go out of the league with good feelings, that's an issue (and not one that anybody else could be blamed for).

Ryan Kalils current deal was one of the last transactions done by Gettleman before he left. In terms of cutting him for cap relief I don't think Rivera would be on board with that. Yes this preseason has been a little rough for him, but I'm banking that he bounces back strong. Hard enough to find good o-line depth as it is, so never really much reason to cut him.

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

I just prefer to stick to the decisions(good and bad) he is actually responsible for. 

Totally agree on Ryan. Especially when they see at least something in Larsen. 

Yeah, on the topic of Kalil brother decisions, Hurney's hands may have been tied with Matt, but Ryan's deal was purely his choice.

I certainly hope not because Ryan's been one of my favorite players, but I've got a bad feeling that's going to come back to haunt us.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, on the topic of Kalil brother decisions, Hurney's hands may have been tied with Matt, but Ryan's deal was purely his choice.

I certainly hope not because Ryan's been one of my favorite players, but I've got a bad feeling that's going to come back to haunt us.

Why do you keep saying Ryans deal was Hurney's choice lol? Not trying to argue but his current deal was signed in June of 16 when Gettleman was the GM.

4 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Ryan Kalils current deal was one of the last transactions done by Gettleman before he left. In terms of cutting him for cap relief I don't think Rivera would be on board with that. Yes this preseason has been a little rough for him, but I'm banking that he bounces back strong. Hard enough to find good o-line depth as it is, so never really much reason to cut him.

His cap hit is something like 10 million, and there was a way to get out of that if he had been cut prior to a certain deadline. Heck, he could conceivably have been cut and brought back on a low one year deal.

I'm hoping for a good year from Ryan, but I seriously question whether he's going to have a year that's worth 10 million dollars.

55 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Hall may be "cut" and sent to practice squad.  Not quite same as cut permanently. And not really a vet since he's never played.

If he can't make the roster I'd just assume let him walk, period. He's already had his de facto redshirt year. If he's not ready by now, buh bye.

49 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bullet probably needs to be bitten at some point, but it's gonna hurt when it happens.

Gotta say it's highly unlikely that happens this year because this is Rivera and Hurney's audition.

Good point.  The difference between theory and reality.

57 minutes ago, Toomers said:

It’s a sunk cost. That money is gone. No reason to play him if he isn’t clearly the best option. Tell him to enjoy the view and start coming up with his next excuse article in the Spring. Maybe he can con another team. 

I think for sanity's sake you've got to take this attitude. The contract is what it is. Just put the best players on the field. I'm ok with paying Matt to sit on the bench if Moton is the better player, which looks to be true. 

In that scenario just got to hope that Matt could actually play if needed. And two, that benching him doesn't cause a locker room problem. (Would Ryan cause a stink?) 

Maybe Ron can ask Cam his opinion and just say what #1 wants, #1 gets, in terms of his blindside protection.

Archived