• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, JARROD said:

why all the hate?

Because he's been poo for about 3 years now?

What I don't understand is the obsession of some people about a player who's done jack poo in the league for going on 3 years.

But I'm sure you will justify yourselves and his overpaid $5M per year somehow, right along with Ron "I love vets now matter how they produce" Rivera.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Norv will make the decision not Rivera. If he starts then Norv wants him to. That old Rivera saw was never true and applies even less now. Saying it over and over doesn't make it so.

Yeah, ok lol.

"The head coach isn't the head coach."

Charlton-Heston-Crazy-laughing.gif

23 minutes ago, Manther said:

Fair enough.  Torry doesn't have to catch in preseason, he's shown he can produce on the big stage. 

We pay him as much as we pay Peppers.  Torry Smith is our most expensive WR, by far... he's paid more than twice what we pay the next highest.  His contract has no dead money.   

That said, we have about 5.8 mil in cap space and an oline without depth.  I'm not saying cut him now but if we need the space to make something happen, that fat contract combined with depth at WR is a place to look.

I get what you are saying.  But I also understand why the coaches might want to keep Smith around. We have three legit speed threats at wide receiver.  Moore, Samuel, and Smith.  DJ Moore is a rookie.  Samuel is in effect a rookie.  I can certainly understand why they want to keep their one veteran guy who has the speed to get deep.  

I think the Panthers are thinking or perhaps hoping that the oline holds together long enough to get healthy.  Or that they can restructure a few deals and clear up some cap room.  Although I am not sure we could get any real help at this point, unless we make a trade.  

42 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Yeah, ok lol.

"The head coach isn't the head coach."

Charlton-Heston-Crazy-laughing.gif

They were both head coaches and Norv was Rivera's coach. Rivera highly respects Norv and won't countermand him. Look at how Norv comes here and suddenly we have the most offensive talent we have had in the Rivera era.  It wasn't a coincidence. Anyone with any insight can see who is  running the offense  

Serious question: Riverboat got credit for it but who decided if we go on 4th down.  Ron? Norv? Both? What did Ron have to agree to in order to get Norv here after Zimmer cut him off at the knees in Minnesota. I got to believe that Norv wouldn't have come here without an understanding that he and Scott run the offense. It wasn't like he was lobbying for a job. I am sure Ron approached him.

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

They were both head coaches and Norv was Rivera's coach. Rivera highly respects Norv and won't countermand him. Look at how Norv comes here and suddenly we have the most offensive talent we have had in the Rivera era.  It wasn't a coincidence. Anyone with any insight can see who is  running the offense  

Serious question: Riverboat got credit for it but who decided if we go on 4th down.  Ron? Norv? Both? What did Ron have to agree to in order to get Norv here after Zimmer cut him off at the knees in Minnesota. I got to believe that Norv wouldn't have come here without an understanding that he and Scott run the offense. It wasn't like he was lobbying for a job. I am sure Ron approached him.

Here's a hint for you Rivera worshippers... Norv Turner was unemployed for the 2017-18 football season.

Guess who was Ron Rivera's offensive coordinator at that time?

Insert below more insane, irrational defense of Ron Rivera and more worship of Mike Shula (that you now rationalize and deny):

(insert insanity here)

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Here's a hint for you Rivera worshippers... Norv Turner was unemployed for the 2017-18 football season.

Insert below more insane, irrational defense of Ron Rivera and more worship of Mike Shula (that you now rationalize and deny):

(insert insanity here)

You make broken records have an appealing sound. 

7 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Some of us are Panthers fans. We've been following the team since before it arrived. We like our coach. We are here for more than man lost for a single player. 

Some of us aren't blind bitches and recognize that the player from whom you willingly pull the credit from is the only goddam reason an incompetent head who doesn't give a poo about the modern requirement to actually SCORE POINTS to win has a goddam job to this day.

But feel free to keep that head coaches genitals deep down your throat because you are a "loyal Carolina fan" from the start, bro.

10 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

(insert insanity here)

I can't tell if you are so set in being right that you ignore logic when it is presented and engage in your  personal negativity or you really can't see what is going on. Either way it doesn't matter to me.  I am interested in discussion not pissing contests. Too bad you don't feel the same way.

8 hours ago, KB_fan said:

I saw enough from Byrd last night to think he's made the roster. So that's 6 WR.

Now if we have to keep 11 OL due to injuries, how do we keep 6 WR?

My solution. 2 TEs + Armah, (plus a TE on PS and Manhertz starts season on the PUP).

Only other option is to skimp at some position on defense...

But yeah, we need 6 WRs.

Even if Bryd makes the roster and we keep 6, I can't see us having more than 5 active on game day.  Who goes inactive?  I can't see someone making 5m being the inactive one.

I still think there is a chance they keep 10 OL.  That would allow us to keep 2 QB, 4 RB, 1 FB, 3 TE, 6 WR for a total of 26 on offense.  That would allow 24 on defense, 9 DL, 6 LB, 9 secondary.

If we keep an extra OL or LB I would guess it will come of out the RB, TE, or WR numbers.   

Just now, panthers55 said:

I can't tell if you are so set in being right that you ignore logic when it is presented and engage in your  personal negativity or you really can't see what is going on. Either way it doesn't matter to me.  I am interested in discussion not pissing contests. Too bad you don't feel the same way.

Uh huh.

Some people might not forget your fervent worship and defense of Mike Shula and his offense.

You definitely don't want us to.

But we won't.

Archived