• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

People bitching and moaning about Torrey Smith when he has a grand total of 3 targets in 3 games. 

IIRC, he had no targets game 1, he caught the only target he had in game 2 , and game 3 he had one of the two balls was just perfect defense from whoever was covering him . 

8 hours ago, Manther said:

Either way, that contract is designed to be broken.  Smith is not producing for that kind of money and we are thin on the oline and in the pocketbook.

Its preseason.  A glorified practice.  No one has "produced". The coaches aren't playing to win games, they are playing to see who can do what.  Especially among the younger guys. 

27 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Cutting Torrey would be so dumb. If he pulls a Russell Shepard, then fine.  But we talking about PRESEASON

By the way, Shepard was balling last night in the NYG game.  Sigh... but it's only preseason.

6 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

I keep seeing this comparison. Go compare the production of those 2 player the last 3 years. Smith is not Ginn.

Compare them both at similar points in their career for a better view :

Ted Ginn 3 years before he joined the Panthers:

- 2010 (Age 25 / 49ers) : 163 rec yards  / 1 rec TD

- 2011 (Age 26/ 49ers) : 220 rec yards / 0 rec TD

- 2012 (Age 27/ 49ers ) : 1 rec yard  / 0 rec TD 

Torrey Smith 3 years before he joined Panthers : 

- 2015 (Age 26 / 49ers ) : 663 rec yards / 4 rec TDs

- 2016 (Age 27 / 49ers) : 267 rec yards / 3 rec TDs

- 2017 (Age 28 / Eagles) : 430 rec yards / 2 rec TDs 

1 minute ago, KB_fan said:

By the way, Shepard was balling last night in the NYG game.  Sigh... but it's only preseason.

Well Ted Ginn  inexplicably morphed into a completely different person with the Saints. Players performance can be incredibly different depending on which team they're on. 

20 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

His issue with us was with his hands. I thought he would be a solid route runner and player for us when I looked at his tape from tampa.

If he gets over his abysmal hands, he’s a solid WR.

29 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

I may take a different approach on this.  It all depends on wether the team thinks Funchess is worth resigning next year.  5 mil isn’t that high considering some of the contracts laid out this year. If they let Funchess walk they then have Moore, Samuel, Wright, Smith, and Byrd for next year. 

Smith isn't under contract next year.

38 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Its preseason.  A glorified practice.  No one has "produced". The coaches aren't playing to win games, they are playing to see who can do what.  Especially among the younger guys. 

Fair enough.  Torry doesn't have to catch in preseason, he's shown he can produce on the big stage. 

We pay him as much as we pay Peppers.  Torry Smith is our most expensive WR, by far... he's paid more than twice what we pay the next highest.  His contract has no dead money.   

That said, we have about 5.8 mil in cap space and an oline without depth.  I'm not saying cut him now but if we need the space to make something happen, that fat contract combined with depth at WR is a place to look.

Archived