• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm only for cutting him if we have the opportunity to add a better player at a position of more need. Given that we evidently didn't pursue Iloka who signed for peanuts, I'm guessing we're simply not interested in an upgrade at safety. So that pretty much leaves OL.

The 5 mil could be used to spruce up the OL.  That rationale makes sense.  Cutting Smith is a calculated risk though.  It’s crazy that we are having this conversation about WR though.  For so long that position has been missing talent and depth.  

7 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

In a perfect world, you keep 6.

Reality says 5 (b/c o-line)

Havent seen anything special from him.  Injuries to Samuel/Byrd are concerning.  Gun to my head cut him loose.

I saw enough from Byrd last night to think he's made the roster. So that's 6 WR.

Now if we have to keep 11 OL due to injuries, how do we keep 6 WR?

My solution. 2 TEs + Armah, (plus a TE on PS and Manhertz starts season on the PUP).

Only other option is to skimp at some position on defense...

But yeah, we need 6 WRs.

Preseason is still preseason 

means, everything on the field is practice.  Opposing defenses aren’t legitimately gameplaning vs our players they are more focused on running there guys through certain plays and being put in certain scenarios. 

We still need a legit dude to lineup outside and take the top off a D.  Come real NFL Sunday we still don’t know Samuel or Moore can pull that off early.  A lot of it isn’t about just having speed.  About dealing with the jams, route running, etc  vs an opponent who has spent all week game planning you. 

We keep Smith.  But nothing needs written in stone in terms of opportunity early.  Play the dudes who make plays.  Whether that is Moore, Samuel, Byrd or Smith 

Makes some sense to cut him, but I can't see it happening for off the field reasons.  Leadership, especially for young WRs, I'm sure is important to RR.  Not to mention the community outreach and positive things Torrey is doing seems to mesh with our culture.  

As others have mentioned, you cut him...Byrd and Samuel get hurt, we're signing Bersin. No lie. And quickly make what looks like a strength a weakness with Funch, a rookie in DJ Moore, and J. Wright as the primary options. It seems okay, but again, strength to a potential weakness again.

It's 5 million that's already on the books.  NOBODY that gets cut is going to sign for big money, so the ONLY way Torrey gets cut (to me) is if Hurney swings a trade for OL and needs cap space.  Even with that, you approach Torrey and say hey, let's add a year to your deal (voidable even), spread the cap hit, manipulate away, or whatever. Do I mind Torrey Smith next year in a vet role as our #4-5 WR for 1.5 million?  Not at all. 

I say you keep him. We had injuries to Samuel and Byrd last year. Neither have proven they can make it through a whole year, or that they can be productive for a whole year. I just don’t want last year to happen again. Unless you can guarantee you can pick up an NFL worthy OL, then I’m going with no. 

6 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Makes some sense to cut him, but I can't see it happening for off the field reasons.  Leadership, especially for young WRs, I'm sure is important to RR.  Not to mention the community outreach and positive things Torrey is doing seems to mesh with our culture.  

As others have mentioned, you cut him...Byrd and Samuel get hurt, we're signing Bersin. No lie. And quickly make what looks like a strength a weakness with Funch, a rookie in DJ Moore, and J. Wright as the primary options. It seems okay, but again, strength to a potential weakness again.

It's 5 million that's already on the books.  NOBODY that gets cut is going to sign for big money, so the ONLY way Torrey gets cut (to me) is if Hurney swings a trade for OL and needs cap space.  Even with that, you approach Torrey and say hey, let's add a year to your deal (voidable even), spread the cap hit, manipulate away, or whatever. Do I mind Torrey Smith next year in a vet role as our #4-5 WR for 1.5 million?  Not at all. 

There is no way I’m attaching what will be dead money to a deal that has none. You don’t negotiate like that. The market is dead. Cut him if he’s not one of the 3 best. Offer him 2M to come back. If he can do better, do it. Save 3M and still have him. Or pocket the 5M. 

I’m not touching the top 6 at all this season; especially after what we went through last. We all might disagree on the pecking order as far as the receivers go, but I’m keeping Torrey for this season at least.

I don’t think we’ll need him next year, but let’s see if Samuel and Byrd can withstand a full season.

Getting rid of Smith would be a mistake. First of all he is a fast deep route receiver and how many deep routes have we actually attempted? And was the preseason to showcase him or the younger guys who need the work. He will get his catches and show his worth. Until Byrd and Samuel show they can be durable it would be foolish to cut a proven commodity like Smith 

Archived