• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

First off it’s the f*cking preaseason, so stop overreacting to meaningless games. Samuel and Byrd are 180 pounds soaking wet, one wrong hit to either of them they are done, especially since both are on return duties.

Smith is a proven deep threat in the regular season until proven otherwise let him get his reps 

13 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I could be wrong but didn’t Torrey beat someone deep last week but the ball was thrown out of bounds? Or am I completely wrong off here?

Yes he did, on the play Cam ran and slid Torrey had his guy beat

13 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yeah I would have agreed but after seeing Gilmore a step ahead of him last night I’m not sure he’s much of a deep threat anymore.

Cam threw a beautiful ball, far shoulder dime. Obviously this is a difficult catch BUT given the fact Torrey is supposed to be a deep threat, if he can’t win deep anymore this is the only type of ball Cam is going to be able to throw to him and he struggled to track that one.

I could be wrong but didn’t Torrey beat someone deep last week but the ball was thrown out of bounds? Or am I completely wrong off here?

I think it's been way too small of a sample size so far (and it's just preseason) to say we should cut him now. He was still a great deep threat last year and has shown speed in camp but just hasn't clicked with Cam yet. Maybe he never will but I'd give them some more time. Without Smith we have Funch, Moore, Samuel, Wright, Byrd. If Funch or Moore went down that wouldn't be all that much better than last year...

30 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Moore- 1st rounder, has show Huge upside in practice where some think he could become the #1 eventually.  He has been slow the last 2 games, but the first preseason he balled out.  And Remember this was Norv's baby for this draft, and Loved this kid

I'm a Moore fan and was one well before he shot up the draft but Norv also loved Diggs and Treadwell. Both of those players are on both sides of the spectrum with Treadwell being the highest draft pick between the 3. 

In year 3 which is the normal progression for a wr the vikings think he is finally gonna produce. 

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Wright is pretty much the opposite of Ginn. Wright is consistent 3rd down possession guy like Cotchery. Ginn and Smith are deep threats whose only job is to stretch the defense. I don't yet trust either Curtis or Byrd in that role.

Isnt that What Samuel is, which is faster and more athletic and is the reason this is even being brought up because he has risen to what some coupd argue the current best looking WR on this roster.

Pushing this argument to what it is

Also then what is Smith then, he is no more athletic than Wright.  Wright is a 4.4 guy, just as athletic, a guy who can stretch the field, play the slot, and been in Norvs sytem awhile. And been in the league as long as Smith.

Also we have Bryd as a guy who can stretch the field who is arguably faster than Ginn was.  And is our best return guy, And been with the system awhile.

There really is no argument to keep Smith at this point unless you just bought his Jersey and really have a man crush on the dude

8 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think it's been way too small of a sample size so far (and it's just preseason) to say we should cut him now. He was still a great deep threat last year and has shown speed in camp but just hasn't clicked with Cam yet. Maybe he never will but I'd give them some more time. Without Smith we have Funch, Moore, Samuel, Wright, Byrd. If Funch or Moore went down that wouldn't be all that much better than last year...

Yeah I agree in that I wouldn’t cut him just yet either. You obviously saw him in camp a little so maybe he’s shown a little something there. 

But yeah I don’t think we’re all that deep at WR especially not deep enough to just cut Torrey after 3 games like some here think

9 minutes ago, jumpman910 said:

I'm a Moore fan and was one well before he shot up the draft but Norv also loved Diggs and Treadwell. Both of those players are on both sides of the spectrum with Treadwell being the highest draft pick between the 3. 

In year 3 which is the normal progression for a wr the vikings think he is finally gonna produce. 

It wasnt just Norv who had the crush on him.  Yiu heard Smittys comments.

Its easy to like Treawell coming out.  He was on a talent filled roster and looked good.

Moore came from the total opposite, had no QB, and pretty much rest of the offense.  And still carried the team on his back Smitty style. 

He didnt come from some sexy offense like a Treadwell, or even pretty much every other first round WR that comes out every year.  Yet every scout were still arguing his case as rhe best WR even over a Ridley who some say coming in was the best WR to come out since Cooper

25 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yeah I would have agreed but after seeing Gilmore a step ahead of him last night I’m not sure he’s much of a deep threat anymore.

Cam threw a beautiful ball, far shoulder dime. Obviously this is a difficult catch BUT given the fact Torrey is supposed to be a deep threat, if he can’t win deep anymore this is the only type of ball Cam is going to be able to throw to him and he struggled to track that one.

While I agree he's not the deep threat he was in Baltimore, Gilmore is fast and can keep up with those deep guys and has real good coverage skills.

I'd rather try to renegotiate his contract before cutting bait on him. Plus (and I've said it before) we have enough good LBs to where I'm pretty sure we can ship Mayo and a late round pick for an serviceable OL. He's just as good, if not better, than AJ imo. I just never want to be put in the position we were last season towards the end of the year with the WRs. Of course if he's not willing to renegotiate then I'd cut him. 

DJ Moore has to get more aggressive at the line of scrimmage. I wished they used him more but I'm also glad they didn't forced feed him either. He's still going to be a weapon for us either immediately our in the near future.

Samuel earned his time with the ones though. For all the naysayers, looks like the JUGS machine was a good investment after all lol! The kid is super explosive. If he could completely eliminate jumping for the catch unnecessarily (which he did a much better job of yesterday) watch out.

Edit: After thinking for a sec, I wouldn't cut him. We really don't know what Norv has planned for this team. Cutting him might be jumping the gun a bit. Mobile version doesn't have strikethrough script unfortunately.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Isnt that What Samuel is, which is faster and more athletic and is the reason this is even being brought up because he has risen to what some coupd argue the current best looking WR on this roster.

Pushing this argument to what it is

Also then what is Smith then, he is no more athletic than Wright.  Wright is a 4.4 guy, just as athletic, a guy who can stretch the field, play the slot, and been in Norvs sytem awhile. And been in the league as long as Smith.

Also we have Bryd as a guy who can stretch the field who is arguably faster than Ginn was.  And is our best return guy, And been with the system awhile.

There really is no argument to keep Smith at this point unless you just bought his Jersey and really have a man crush on the dude

Success as a deep threat in the NFL has nothing to do with 40 times or combine athleticism. Wright has never in his career had success as a deep threat. He's always been a great possession guy, nothing more nothing less. Torrey has been one of the best deep threats in the league and it's his defined role.

Samuel and Byrd may at some point be able to fill the role and take over but neither has proved anything in real games and for a team with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations there's no reason at all to get rid of our only proven deep threat. Would be absolutely silly.

And no I don't even like him all that much, I would be thrilled if Samuel/Byrd stepped up so we could cut Torrey. Just haven't seen it from them yet and likely won't see it this season.

It would be pointless to cut him. He is essentially on a 1 year deal for 5 million. Next year we have an out in his contract. 

We are going to go situational with our receivers this year. The only WR I’d expect to stack on snap count is funchess. 

Him and Wright are the only receivers with any sort of leadership that speaks volume on the sideline. 

Archived