• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think you keep Smith in the Ginn role. Useful player to have

Yeah I would have agreed but after seeing Gilmore a step ahead of him last night I’m not sure he’s much of a deep threat anymore.

Cam threw a beautiful ball, far shoulder dime. Obviously this is a difficult catch BUT given the fact Torrey is supposed to be a deep threat, if he can’t win deep anymore this is the only type of ball Cam is going to be able to throw to him and he struggled to track that one.

I could be wrong but didn’t Torrey beat someone deep last week but the ball was thrown out of bounds? Or am I completely wrong off here?

9 minutes ago, PantherBrew said:

Keep in mind, when cutting him that makes him available to anyone... Saints, Falcons, would probably make room for him.  

With that said, I could definitely understand if they did cut him.  I would prefer to negotiate a pay cut because that would probably be the best of both options for him.  Maybe knock his 5 down to 2.5.  He obviously won't like it, but its better than he would get on the open market right now.  

But damn, one or two injuries to Samuel and/or Byrd and we would be so mad about cutting him loose. 

Who are the Falcons or Bucs cutting to add him?

The bucs arent getting rid of Evans, Jackson or Godwin to add him.  And they arent bringing him in as a #4.  They have a young guy

Same with Atlanta, Julio, Sanu, and Ridley.  Smith is a just slightly worse version of Sanu. So they arent adding him.  Remember he was the #3 on Philly.

Only team thats going to pick him up is a WR hungry team who needs him as a top 3 option

Also if you have 2 injuries,  we will still be sitting fine with Funchess, Moore, and Wright.  And even our possible PS targets im Frazier have looked solid

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

Who are the Falcons or Bucs cutting to add him?

The bucs arent getting rid of Evans, Jackson or Godwin to add him.  And they arent bringing him in as a #4.  They have a young guy

Same with Atlanta, Julio, Sanu, and Ridley.  Smith is a just slightly worse version of Sanu. So they arent adding him.  Remember he was the #3 on Philly.

Only team thats going to pick him up is a WR hungry team who needs him as a top 3 option

I said Falcons or Saints.  Why would he HAVE to be a 3rd option?  He could be their 4th or 5th option, which he would almost certainly be an upgrade for both teams in those positions.  

Not that it matters, but someone would scoop Torry up quickly. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think in this case, who we have at head coach matters more.

Agreed.

Was really just jabbing Hurney about never being the hardass that job sometimes requires.

Ron LOVES him some vets, we are all too well aware of that one.

7 minutes ago, PantherBrew said:

I said Falcons or Saints.  Why would he HAVE to be a 3rd option?  He could be their 4th or 5th option, which he would almost certainly be an upgrade for both teams in those positions.  

Not that it matters, but someone would scoop Torry up quickly. 

None of those teams are going to bring him in as a 4th or 5th option.

Your 4th-5th option is always going to be a young guy and can possibly contribute on special teams.  Not a 29 years old vet who was just cut.  Heck Dez Bryant isnt even getting a Look right now.  He had drop problems like weve seen Smith have in preseason thus far.

Just now, ncfan said:

None of those teams are going to bring him in as a 4th or 5th option.

Your 4th-5th option is always going to be a young guy and can possibly contribute on special teams.  Not a 29 years old vet who was just cut.  Heck Dez Bryant isnt even getting a Look right now.  He had drop problems like weve seen Smith have in preseason thus far.

Dez Bryant not having a job is not a good reason for Torry not getting another job.  Two completely different personas.  

Are you implying that Torry would not be signed by anyone else?

14 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Thats what you have Wright for. 

Smith has been in the league 1 year longer than Wright

He's a Good athlete, slot, #3 guy. 

And also is already familiar with Norv's system.  Which IMO is a bigger ti groom the young guys to this new offense than some guy who just came in and has no ties to the QB or the staff

Wright is pretty much the opposite of Ginn. Wright is consistent 3rd down possession guy like Cotchery. Ginn and Smith are deep threats whose only job is to stretch the defense. I don't yet trust either Curtis or Byrd in that role.

5 million isn't completely ideal. But then again our wide receiver depth last year was abysmal, and we have Samuel and Byrd who have been hampered by injuries. I would rather avoid backing ourselves into a corner like that again in a division where we have to keep up with Drew Brees and Matt Ryan.

1 minute ago, PantherBrew said:

Dez Bryant not having a job is not a good reason for Torry not getting another job.  Two completely different personas.  

Are you implying that Torry would not be signed by anyone else?

No

I think someone would scoop him up, but again itd be a WR hungry team that needs him as a top 3 option.  A Dallas, Jacksonvile, Baltimore, etc

Archived