• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We traded Worley and pursued an upgrade at CB because Worley was trash. The Eagles were willing to trade Smith for him because he wasn't in their plans anyway.

If Smith has 700 yards and 5 TDs that would be the most he's had in both categories since 2014.

I hear ya, he only had about 600 yards and 3 touchdowns with the 3 playoff games last year,..

2015 he did start off good, averaged 20.9 yards per reception, that was Kap,.. afterwards Blain Gabbert.

strange in Phili he started having good stats in the middle of the year, 70 yard touchdown, a 100 yard game a couple later, then died off until 2 games after Foles came in. Afterwards he had pretty good games— did miss one long touchdown against the Falcons but turned around and nailed a big one with Minni, and a good game against Patriots.

he may or may not be washed up, but I think if he’s sent across the field or downtown defenses have to account for him and a couple of guys will go with him, open it up everywhere else.

sometimes a players best impact is everywhere else on the field,, something that Fantasy lovers can’t understand.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They won the SB because of Torrey Smith?! LOLOLOL!!!

I guess that's why they traded him away for a terrible CB who they cut with the quickness when he got a DUI.

In reality he wasn't going to make their roster. Hopefully he can fulfill a role for us.

You have to understand basic football if you want to laugh away a legitimate point. In the same way our offense stalled without Ginn, Philly’s O is struggling now. Fast receivers require over the top help and attention to detail. Torrey has always provided that and still has enough left in the tank to help here. Yes, last year he required attention because of his speed and as laughable as it may seem to you defensive coordinators gave it to him.  Alshon ate up the single coverage on the other side.  And like in our game last year, Nelson Algholor ate in the slot too.  

Of course Cox, Jenkins, Wentz, Foles & Jeffrey were in the weekly spotlight, but Torrey Smith made a big contribution.  He did this by being a big locker room guy, running routes with effort(even decoy routes), and not whining about touches or shine. 

22 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

You have to understand basic football if you want to laugh away a legitimate point. In the same way our offense stalled without Ginn, Philly’s O is struggling now. Fast receivers require over the top help and attention to detail. Torrey has always provided that and still has enough left in the tank to help here. Yes, last year he required attention because of his speed and as laughable as it may seem to you defensive coordinators gave it to him.  Alshon ate up the single coverage on the other side.  And like in our game last year, Nelson Algholor ate in the slot too.  

Of course Cox, Jenkins, Wentz, Foles & Jeffrey were in the weekly spotlight, but Torrey Smith made a big contribution.  He did this by being a big locker room guy, running routes with effort(even decoy routes), and not whining about touches or shine. 

I understand what you guys are trying to say. You're not understanding what I'm saying. You don't just jettison a guy who played a key role in your scheme on your way to a Super Bowl championship. Not when he's only counting about $5M against the cap. You guys are grossly overstating Smith's value to the Eagles.

In the playoffs he averaged a respectable 52ypg, but at 12.1ypc he wasn't exactly blowing the top off of defenses. He averaged virtually the same YPC in the regular season at 11.9. Maybe we'll get more value out of him getting him back to his more traditional deep threat role or maybe he's lost a step and he can't blow the top off of defenses anymore. Either way, his average YPC has really dropped off the past two seasons. We'll see.

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They won the SB because of Torrey Smith?! LOLOLOL!!!

I guess that's why they traded him away for a terrible CB who they cut with the quickness when he got a DUI.

In reality he wasn't going to make their roster. Hopefully he can fulfill a role for us.

Right!  This is like saying we went to the Superbowl in 2015 because of Ginn, but worse, since Ginn was light years better.

2015 - Ginn 44 catches, 739 yards 10 td.

2017 - Smith 33 catches, 408 yards, 2 td.  (on 765 snaps, as mentioned by another poster)

On 8/25/2018 at 7:33 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

Question...

As of right now is Torrey Smith a starter?

If not, do you pay a backup 8 million?

For experience on field.... Yes 

But if he's dropping balls, or running the wrong routes, then no, cut him and sign eric Reid

So many irrational hudlers who think we can get by based on pre season production. 

What if we get rid of Torrey, Samuel and Byrd get injured again, and DJ Moore doesnt live up to expectations in his first year? 

Then we're right back where we were last year in terms of WR talent.

I'm sick of us letting go of important receiver talent. Keeping all 6 of them provides us with incredible flexibility and depth at WR that we have not had in the last several years. And you want to start the year by immediately cutting our only proven deep threat after defenses stacked the box against us all 2017 without Ginn? You are out of your fuging mind. 

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

Jarius Wright is experience on the field that can actually catch the ball.

Only thing I'm concerned with about that is Wright is primarily a slot and hasn't lined up all over. Smith has lined up everywhere and actually been productive over his career.  Tough decisions for the first time in forever it seems haha

46 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

So many irrational hudlers who think we can get by based on pre season production. 

What if we get rid of Torrey, Samuel and Byrd get injured again, and DJ Moore doesnt live up to expectations in his first year? 

Then we're right back where we were last year in terms of WR talent.

I'm sick of us letting go of important receiver talent. Keeping all 6 of them provides us with incredible flexibility and depth at WR that we have not had in the last several years. And you want to start the year by immediately cutting our only proven deep threat after defenses stacked the box against us all 2017 without Ginn? You are out of your fuging mind. 

I'm not begging for us to cut him. I'd only do that if there was a player available at a position of greater need that we needed to free up that cap space to sign him.

I'm just saying expectations need to be tempered. Smith hasn't had 700+ yards or 5+ TDs since 2014 and his average yards per catch have been declining steeply. I hope he can be a good player for us, but I think that if we're expecting him to be what Ginn was for us we may end up disappoinmented. I haven't seen that type of speed from Smith in years. Their hands are pretty similar. Smith is gonna drop some balls.

52 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not begging for us to cut him. I'd only do that if there was a player available at a position of greater need that we needed to free up that cap space to sign him.

I'm just saying expectations need to be tempered. Smith hasn't had 700+ yards or 5+ TDs since 2014 and his average yards per catch have been declining steeply. I hope he can be a good player for us, but I think that if we're expecting him to be what Ginn was for us we may end up disappoinmented. I haven't seen that type of speed from Smith in years. Their hands are pretty similar. Smith is gonna drop some balls.

Ted Ginn caught well over 70 percent of his balls last year with the Saints.
Ginn also had much worse stats than Torrey did before he came to the Panthers. And don't forget he was older then Torrey as well when he came to the Panthers.

Not saying that Smith is directly comparible to Ginn, but just using Ginn as an example that guys can vastly increase their performance just based on the team/system they are in.

I mean, just look at the teams Torrey was on in recent years. He was on the ailing 49ers team in the dead era between the fall of Kaep/Harbaugh and the uprising of Garrapolo. Then he was on a stacked Eagles team where he wasn't going to be dominating the targets anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

Ted Ginn caught well over 70 percent of his balls last year with the Saints.
Ginn also had much worse stats than Torrey did before he came to the Panthers. And don't forget he was older then Torrey as well when he came to the Panthers.

Not saying that Smith is directly comparible to Ginn, but just using Ginn as an example that guys can vastly increase their performance just based on the team/system they are in.

I mean, just look at the teams Torrey was on in recent years. He was on the ailing 49ers team in the dead era between the fall of Kaep/Harbaugh and the uprising of Garrapolo. Then he was on a stacked Eagles team where he wasn't going to be dominating the targets anyway. 

Okay, I'm just saying don't be shocked if he only has 400-500 yards while catching half of the balls thrown his direction.

Yes, Ginn revitalized his career here with a QB who was equipped to help him do what he did best - go deep. I'll think that last year wasn't a fluke for him in terms of catch rate if he repeats it. He'd never shown hands like that ever before.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Okay, I'm just saying don't be shocked if he only has 400-500 yards while catching half of the balls thrown his direction.

Yes, Ginn revitalized his career here with a QB who was equipped to help him do what he did best - go deep. I'll think that last year wasn't a fluke for him in terms of catch rate if he repeats it. He'd never shown hands like that ever before.

I think he will catch more than half.  But I also think 500 yards would be a good year for him given that we seem to have balance among our WR's, plus a good pass catching TE and RB.  My guess is that Olsen and Funchess will get around 900, and the others will have 300 to 600 yards.  Assuming they stay healthy.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com weighs in:

Torrey Smith, WR, Carolina Panthers: Even though the Panthers could save $5 million by cutting Smith, they probably don't want to admit defeat after acquiring him in a trade this offseason. Despite a rough preseason, Smith's receiver coach Lance Taylor said the eighth-year veteran may have practiced better than any wideout in camp.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000952067/article/nfl-roster-bubble-watch-potential-cut-candidates-trade-targets

Archived