• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, NorthTryon said:

They are seriously undervaluing Smith.  The Eagles won it all because he ran off so much coverage so Alshon could get favorable looks.  You have seen that anemic offense in the preseason.  He is a two time champion and a good locker room presence.  He had a great camp according to WR coach.  

Igo told everyone Torrey could get cut and brought it back up with this thread so he immediately became one of our expendable WRs in the mind of some Huddlers.  You will learn how easily some members can be influenced on here soon enough.

Torrey Smith is going no where and will start week 1!!! Thirteen pages for what?

I see the Eagle comparison a lot, but there's a flaw in that argument.

The Eagles were using him as a reserve. Here, he's a starter.

Yes, that matters.

I don't think huddlers have it in their head that Smith is going to be cut any time soon.  We are just stating the fact that his contract is large and short term with no dead money.  It is designed to keep open the possibility of a trade with little ramifications, while giving us a speedy experienced receiver.  If we get crunched with injuries that we HAVE to fill, then we have a chip to play. 

Now it looks like the Oline might need attention.  If Hurney is working on anything, he is working on that line.   Whether we have to spend all 5 mil in cap space on that remains to be seen. 

Though NE's d-line isn't stellar, we made them look like crap, with Moton at left tackle.  No sacks and very few hurries, with a healthy run game.   I hate to say it, but we looked like a better team without Matt Kalil.  In this case, is the answer really on the roster?   

In the end,  if we get the opportunity for a grade a or b LT, beyond draft picks, Smith is a possible chip to be played.

20 minutes ago, Manther said:

In the end,  if we get the opportunity for a grade a or b LT, beyond draft picks, Smith is a possible chip to be played

This I agree with. I could see Torrey traded (I've been saying 20-25% chance if opportunity presented.) His talent and the 5 million cap savings combined with our Oline situation could make this scenario tempting / necessary.

I've been arguing solely against the "cut him to make room for Byrd or so he won't take snaps from Samuel" type arguments.

Torrey is not going to be traded, we're in an arms race against the Falcons and Saints, we need all hands on deck, because injuries are a reality in the NFL. 

The good thing about this season is we have depth and if somebody isn't productive we have talent behind them to take those reps. Unlike last year where we had to roll with a guy like Russell Shepard all year. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes, that matters.

Torrey Smith started in Philly all year.  I distinctly remember our game he was occupying Coleman and Worley while Algholor abused Shaq.  He did the same to Rhodes and Sendejo in NFC championship game while Alshon killed Minnesota.  

My hope is that like the preseason, namely game three it’s going to be some heavy rotation.  I am with you though on not stifling the young guys.  All these dudes deserve reps.

I think we need to look elsewhere as far as cutting... I like T Smith and think he should stay along with Byrd.

Byrd could be a playmaker for years to come. He knows the playbook in and out by now. He has elite speed. Torrey is a vet and will keep that speed for one or 2 more years. 

Barner or Ben Jacobs can go before either of them.

Funchess was basically the last man standing injury wise last year... he was BARELY standing too. We need depth. People are realllllly high on Samuel this year but he is best at short/medium routes. Torrey Smith/Byrd are really the only "centerfielders" we have where cam can launch one and they pick it up and burn the DBs and torch everyone left. Thats hard to replace and a big part of our offensive. Steve Smith, Teddy Ginn, T smith, Byrd are really the only players Carolina has had that can do that. 

Do I think Torrey Smith should play every snap? No. I think Panthers have had a problem of keeping people on the bench and letting one player take the wear and tear all game. All those WRs should touch the field for more than one play. 

Its good to have 2 young talents Samuel and Byrd and have veteran players that have the same play style. Jarius Wright is like Samuel but tougher, grittier and could help mentor that mindset. Torrey has played against the best and I'm sure has great insight for a speed guy like Byrd. Similar build.. skinny dude. Torrey isn't bullying his way past press like Byrd and could teach him a few things.

We can't forget Josh Norman said the hardest Carolina WR to cover was Byrd. 

Anyway.. morale of the story we can't afford to lose either this year. They would get picked up for sure.

8 hours ago, FugAllY'all said:

I think people are seriously undervaluing Smith and getting too attached to guys like Wright and Byrd. Gonna be some broken hearts on cut day.

Conversely, I think people are seriously *overvaluing* Smith for things that have absolutely nothing to do with performance on the field.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes, that matters.

Forgive me, but I found this snap count for the Eagles 2017, the maximum snap count I found for the oline was 1080 or so, and they play about every snap.

Jeffrey had 860, Torrey 765. He was a threat almost every play to take one to the house,.. so the coverage had to account for him.

the few times, as other videos in other threads have shown, the times where the other team was dumb enough to single cover him Wentz and Foles went downtown to him. He caught some, he missed some.

the point is the single coverage on the tightends and other receivers happened because Torrey made them pay a few times,..

and that’s all it took for a lot of double coverage to happen,.. hence Alshon, Ertz and others being wide damn open,..

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2017-snap-counts.htm

not a reserve, played 19 games last year without injury and 765 snaps,..

7 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

They are seriously undervaluing Smith.  The Eagles won it all because he ran off so much coverage so Alshon could get favorable looks.  You have seen that anemic offense in the preseason.  He is a two time champion and a good locker room presence.  He had a great camp according to WR coach.  

Igo told everyone Torrey could get cut and brought it back up with this thread so he immediately became one of our expendable WRs in the mind of some Huddlers.  You will learn how easily some members can be influenced on here soon enough.

Torrey Smith is going no where and will start week 1!!! Thirteen pages for what?

They won the SB because of Torrey Smith?! LOLOLOL!!!

I guess that's why they traded him away for a terrible CB who they cut with the quickness when he got a DUI.

In reality he wasn't going to make their roster. Hopefully he can fulfill a role for us.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They won the SB because of Torrey Smith?! LOLOLOL!!!

I guess that's why they traded him away for a terrible CB who they cut with the quickness when he got a DUI.

In reality he wasn't going to make their roster. Hopefully he can fulfill a role for us.

He definitely contributed,..

teams get cute also like Dave did with Ginn— Torrey is relatively cheap but they thought Alshon and Agholar are enough,.. obviously it’s showing they are not.

didnt worley get the DUI after his trade? We also went after a CB that was a proven upgrade until he lied about his health condition.

worley in theory would have added value to their secondary, and he’s young,.. but he messed that up. 

—- if Torrey catches 700 yards and 5 touchdowns he’s probably worth the money he’s paid...there’s guys out there getting paid a lot more this year for a lot less,...

Archived