• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

57 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I admit I wondered this same thing when I saw the news about Lee.

I want to keep Torrey. I'm not advocating a trade. I don't like thinning our depth. But I could seem him possibly being of interest to some other teams...

I've been on the keep him bandwagon too, but the thought of a fifth and 5 mill in cap room got me thinking.

I mean how many balls can be thrown and caught?  Cam has averaged 285 completions/season over his career.  It's completely within reason to expect McCaffrey and Olsen to catch 75 balls each, that leaves another 150ish completions to other guys.  It's reasonable to expect Funchess to haul in at least 60 catches this year, so that leaves 90.  90 balls for Samuel, Moore, Wright, Byrd, Smith....yeah I just don't think Smith is worth 5mil to compete with 4 other guys for 90 balls.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:33 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

Question...

As of right now is Torrey Smith a starter?

If not, do you pay a backup 8 million?

OP,  think things through. 

First off, his salary is $5 million.

Secondly, and this can't be said enough, IT'S PRESEASON. The games don't count. The veterans don't really care. It's like flag football or the Pro Bowl. We won't have a good grasp on if Torrey is good or not until the regular season starts.

Preseason is only done for ratings.

4 minutes ago, CarolinaHuddleFan said:

Secondly, and this can't be said enough, IT'S PRESEASON. The games don't count. The veterans don't really care. It's like flag football or the Pro Bowl.

Cam would be a big fan of Torrey not caring because it's the preaseason.  Torrey is fighting for a job...he cares.

Image result for cam newton patriots head first

1 minute ago, CarolinaHuddleFan said:

Cam does idiotic things sometimes. What's new?

So you pivot from vets not caring to Cam being idiotic when evidence doesn't support your not caring argument?  As I edited in after you quoted, Torrey is fighting for a roster spot, he absolutely cares.  Vets not caring is reduced to vets who are guaranteed a roster spot and even then some of those guys go hard whenever they strap up.  Kuechly wasn't taking any plays off, Shaq wasn't taking plays off.  Get out of here with that weak sauce.

Just now, Newtcase said:

So you pivot from vets not caring to Cam being idiotic when evidence doesn't support your not caring argument?  As I edited in after you quoted, Torrey is fighting for a roster spot, he absolutely cares.  Vets not caring is reduced to vets who are guaranteed a roster spot and even then some of those guys go hard whenever they strap up.  Kuechly wasn't taking any plays off, Shaq wasn't taking plays off.  Get out of here with that weak sauce.

Kuechly was most definitely not going as hard as he normally does.

This news today may have some relevance to this question.

Note the players Tepper is partnering with. Yes Torrey.

Not that his off the field stuff should influence his playing time. But he is the kind of guy Panthers want to be linked with. I can't imagine we'd cut him at a time when the Panthers are publicly trying to strengthen their social justice and community outreach efforts.

Now maybe he will get less time on the field than some of the WRs... But I think his spot on the Roster is safe.

20 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

This news today may have some relevance to this question.

Note the players Tepper is partnering with. Yes Torrey.

Not that his off the field stuff should influence his playing time. But he is the kind of guy Panthers want to be linked with. I can't imagine we'd cut him at a time when the Panthers are publicly trying to strengthen their social justice and community outreach efforts.

Now maybe he will get less time on the field than some of the WRs... But I think his spot on the Roster is safe.

This should in no way influence whether or not he has a roster spot.  Tepper can partner with any charity he wants so it doesn't matter if they are part of the team.

Archived