• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's not totally without value, but does that justify a label of "big time player".

Being dropped by two consecutive teams two years into your contract just doesn't equate to "big time" for me.

For sure--  Baltimore didnt want to pay through the nose for him and filled his shoes with our Steve Smith for a time for cheap(with the Panthers still paying him a lot-- thanks Dave again,..)

49ers again were going through the Chip Kelly there not there, interim coach bla bla bla-

again, I agree he needs to prove it-- im just going with the recent playoff success with a downfield thrower and a good play caller-- so I want to see what happens with Torrey and Cam.

Of course if Funchess Samuel Wright continue looking like the day 1 starting crew, and once Moore starts looking like hes supposed to again,.. then thats our game day 4, and Torrey becomes too many for too much.

Maybe a trade after a few games-- teams like the Jaguars losing Lee will want him.

1 minute ago, JARROD said:

For sure--  Baltimore didnt want to pay through the nose for him and filled his shoes with our Steve Smith for a time for cheap(with the Panthers still paying him a lot-- thanks Dave again,..)

49ers again were going through the Chip Kelly there not there, interim coach bla bla bla-

again, I agree he needs to prove it-- im just going with the recent playoff success with a downfield thrower and a good play caller-- so I want to see what happens with Torrey and Cam.

Of course if Funchess Samuel Wright continue looking like the day 1 starting crew, and once Moore starts looking like hes supposed to again,.. then thats our game day 4, and Torrey becomes too many for too much.

Maybe a trade after a few games-- teams like the Jaguars losing Lee will want him.

Worth remembering that the Eagles had him in a reserve role. We're looking at him as a starter.

Can he still take the rigor of sixteen games as a starter and produce?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Worth remembering that the Eagles had him in a reserve role. We're looking at him as a starter.

Can he still take the rigor of sixteen games as a starter and produce?

For sure it helped him not to get as many reps until the playoffs but I also put that on Pederson having Wentz friendly personnel on the field partially.  Pederson said that after Foles was installed it took a couple of games before he called Foles in and made adjustments to his offense to be more Foles friendly-- obviously it worked as we saw-- but thats when Torrey had his resurgence.

Can he play 16 games at 28 years old? I have a hard time thinking hes washed up all of a sudden.

The proof has to be in the pudding and like I said elsewhere, I would play him Byrd and Moore as much as possible in game 4 to see what they have. 

6 minutes ago, JARROD said:

For sure it helped him not to get as many reps until the playoffs but I also put that on Pederson having Wentz friendly personnel on the field partially.  Pederson said that after Foles was installed it took a couple of games before he called Foles in and made adjustments to his offense to be more Foles friendly-- obviously it worked as we saw-- but thats when Torrey had his resurgence.

Can he play 16 games at 28 years old? I have a hard time thinking hes washed up all of a sudden.

The proof has to be in the pudding and like I said elsewhere, I would play him Byrd and Moore as much as possible in game 4 to see what they have. 

Can't strictly go by age, though. Gotta look at performance.

What I see of that leaves me with a lot of questions.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wouldn't argue that he was a big time player in the past.

Whether or not he still is one is debatable, and not just because of this preseason.

Smith was a big time receiver in Baltimore for sure, but he followed an unfortunate, all too common path of "get big contract, fail to live up to it" in San Francisco and wound up released two years into a five-year deal.

The Eagles got him on a more modest deal but also put him in a more modest role. Despite this, they too were prepared to release him until a better option presented itself. They didn't see paying five million to a guy who was the fourth receiver at best as a good investment.

Now that's our question to answer.

He made big time plays in the Eagles  super bowl run. That’s what I was talking about. You need players who have been there before. We have funch and I guess you could say wright.

5 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

He made big time plays in the Eagles  super bowl run. That’s what I was talking about. You need players who have been there before. We have funch and I guess you could say wright.

As a reserve, yes.

I'm not convinced he can play 16 games as a starter and be effective. I could be wrong about that, but I would point out that the Eagles thought the same thing.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

As a reserve, yes.

I'm not convinced he can play 16 games as a starter and be effective. I could be wrong about that, but I would point out that the Eagles thought the same thing.

That’s all I’m saying. He doesn’t have to put up 1k yards and 8 tds for me to think he is successful here. Big plays in big moments like he’s shown last year. That was what my original post was all about. And that’s worthy of 5 million to me. We need guys like that.

4 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Our other guys (the other receivers and offense as a whole) are going to be more productive with Smith on the field, than without. 

This. Just remember last year when we couldn't stretch the field and had no deep threat.

32 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

would the Jags give us a 5th for Torrey?  They are in win now mode.

Marqise Lee is out for the year, per the @Jaguars.

1. Carolina is loaded with good receivers. Weird.

I admit I wondered this same thing when I saw the news about Lee.

I want to keep Torrey. I'm not advocating a trade. I don't like thinning our depth. But I could seem him possibly being of interest to some other teams...

48 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

would the Jags give us a 5th for Torrey?  They are in win now mode.

Marqise Lee is out for the year, per the @Jaguars.

1. Carolina is loaded with good receivers. Weird.

I'd take a 6th or a 7th, honestly.

Archived