• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I get what you are saying.  But I also understand why the coaches might want to keep Smith around. We have three legit speed threats at wide receiver.  Moore, Samuel, and Smith.  DJ Moore is a rookie.  Samuel is in effect a rookie.  I can certainly understand why they want to keep their one veteran guy who has the speed to get deep.  

I think the Panthers are thinking or perhaps hoping that the oline holds together long enough to get healthy.  Or that they can restructure a few deals and clear up some cap room.  Although I am not sure we could get any real help at this point, unless we make a trade.  

Don't forget Byrd...in fact he's faster than Smith.

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

Uh huh.

Some people might not forget your fervent worship and defense of Mike Shula and his offense.

You definitely don't want us to.

But we won't.

What are you talking about. I defended Shula of course. He was our OC and as I have explained hundreds of times I felt a lot of the criticism from you and others was unwarranted and extreme.  So I defended him just like I did Rivera and now Norv. I never said that Shula was great simply he could be effective when given the personnel to run his scheme. The same post you made defending Cam a million times that he didn't have enough talent applied to Shula as well. Neither did. But I also said it was time for us to move on as he couldn't help Cam convert from a running quarterback to a passing one. So it was a great move to bring in Norv and Scott and look at the results. This is the last time I am going to explain it since as I have also said he isn't here anymore so he is irrelevant. It is on to Norv and the future. 

So what did Shula have to do with whether Norv has control of the offense. Let's get back to the discussion instead of going down a bunny trail because you hold some kind of grudge for some reason.

36 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

What are you talking about. I defended Shula of course. He was our OC and as I have explained hundreds of times I felt a lot of the criticism from you and others was unwarranted and extreme.  So I defended him just like I did Rivera and now Norv. I never said that Shula was great simply he could be effective when given the personnel to run his scheme. The same post you made defending Cam a million times that he didn't have enough talent applied to Shula as well. Neither did. But I also said it was time for us to move on as he couldn't help Cam convert from a running quarterback to a passing one. So it was a great move to bring in Norv and Scott and look at the results. This is the last time I am going to explain it since as I have also said he isn't here anymore so he is irrelevant. It is on to Norv and the future. 

So what did Shula have to do with whether Norv has control of the offense. Let's get back to the discussion instead of going down a bunny trail because you hold some kind of grudge for some reason.

He like others are going to being up the past just to continue batching forever. They equate sports with whining about things a mile over their comprehension level. Then have the audacity to make insult attempts regarding lining the team you are  fan of.  Dude is a victim of everything.

Regardless of how many receivers the team keeps on the roster, there are typically only four active on game day.

That begs the question, can you rationalize activating Smith over Funchess, Samuel, Wright and Moore?

The only real argument I can see is for Moore, yet even with his lack of production in the preseason, I still have a tough time keeping him on the field over a guy with the potential of Moore.  This scenario also keeps Byrd off the field of course, and you do have to consider special teams options as well.

So the real bottom line becomes this: If you can't make a case for activating him on game day, do you really wanna pay 5 million a year for a guy who's not even playing?

23 minutes ago, Manther said:

Don't forget Byrd...in fact he's faster than Smith.

You are right, I did forget Byrd.  Fwiw, I like Byrd, and in fact, had he not been injured, we would have had a better shot at beating the Aints.  That being said, after four years or so, I think the coaching staff will see him as an afterthought this year.  

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

He like others are going to being up the past just to continue batching forever. They equate sports with whining about things a mile over their city.orehension level. Then have the audacity to make insult attempts regarding lining the team you are  fan of.  Dude is a victim of everything.

C'mon now, don't treat people as you are being treated, treat them as you want to be treated. He came here as an Auburn fan following Cam and colors everything through that len. Even though Shula helped him to the probowl his rookie year without an offseason as the QC and then an MVP and run to the Super Bowl as OC, he thinks Shula held him back and that he did all those things in spite of Shula which is clearly an emotional argument. Hence the snarky comments and personal attacks. So just let it go and move on. On to the future and Norv.

23 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

C'mon now, don't treat people as you are being treated, treat them as you want to be treated. He came here as an Auburn fan following Cam and colors everything through that len. Even though Shula helped him to the probowl his rookie year without an offseason as the QC and then an MVP and run to the Super Bowl as OC, he thinks Shula held him back and that he did all those things in spite of Shula which is clearly an emotional argument. Hence the snarky comments and personal attacks. So just let it go and move on. On to the future and Norv.

I have no patience for people on a fan message board attempting to make insults about others who like their coach and team.

28 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

You are right, I did forget Byrd.  Fwiw, I like Byrd, and in fact, had he not been injured, we would have had a better shot at beating the Aints.  That being said, after four years or so, I think the coaching staff will see him as an afterthought this year.  

I've been a Byrd critic, but even in that position I have to admit he's shown potential to be at the very least an effective return man.

If he were to have a breakout season, he could be an effective piece of the puzzle for several years to come.  Whereas with Smith, I don't think anybody believes he's got major potential beyond this season (I understand he's a free agent next year anyway).

So if you have to weigh the potential of Byrd for the future vs Smith as a known quantity about whom there are some reasonable doubts, which of those do you keep?

Will undoubtedly start day one bc Riveras stubborn to a fault. Should not be starting for long, Samuel Wright and Funch are by far our best wrs at the moment 

Smith is good for about ten plays a game couple deep ball throws maybe a pi 

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Here's a hint for you Rivera worshippers... Norv Turner was unemployed for the 2017-18 football season.

Guess who was Ron Rivera's offensive coordinator at that time?

Insert below more insane, irrational defense of Ron Rivera and more worship of Mike Shula (that you now rationalize and deny):

(insert insanity here)

No, he wasn't. He just didn't want to be in football. There were a few teams after him. Ron convinced him to come back.

Archived