• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To Torrey, or not to Torrey

Jeremy Igo

No

Curtis Samuel looks to be the best WR on this squad at this time. He gets open, runs great routes, has shown tremendous hands concentration

Funchess is a solid #2 and provides size, and has been here 3 seasons

Wright is a solid #3 slot and mr 3rd down, who is familiar with Norv's offense

Moore- 1st rounder, has show Huge upside in practice where some think he could become the #1 eventually.  He has been slow the last 2 games, but the first preseason he balled out.  And Remember this was Norv's baby for this draft, and Loved this kid

And then you have Byrd, who if we cant keep 6 WRs look to be the odd man out.  He has shown solid hands, been with the team a bit so has timing down with Cam.  Shown what he can do when he gets the chance, last year.  And may possibly be our best return guy (IMO looks even better returning punts than Ginn his last 2 seasons here)

Is Smith's Vet presence Reallllly worth that $$$ that could go to OL depth, backup QB, or secondary help?  Is it worth cutting your best return guy and a decent young WR who has been here for a bit?

Smiths hands,  its just de ja vu with Shepard last year.  

I like Smith more than when the trade went down because the vet presence at camp.

But the Cons out weigh the pros.  You have to cut weight.  Your not getting rid of a guy like Funchess who has been around the team awhile.  Your cutting a guy who's been here a few months.  A guy who hasnt been around Cam or Norv that long.

I’d say cut him and use that money on another player we might need when injuries happen. Samuel needs to be on the field more anyways.. If that means cutting Smith than so be it. Plus I don’t want us to risk losing Byrd to keep old man Smith around for a “vet prescenxe” rofl

Thought I remembered his contract being five million.

Given the competition we have at receiver right now, I just can't see cutting a young guy with good future potential for a guy whose primary contribution is likely to be veteran leadership for a single year only.

Ron Rivera may see it differently though.

Keep in mind, when cutting him that makes him available to anyone... Saints, Falcons, would probably make room for him.  

With that said, I could definitely understand if they did cut him.  I would prefer to negotiate a pay cut because that would probably be the best of both options for him.  Maybe knock his 5 down to 2.5.  He obviously won't like it, but its better than he would get on the open market right now.  

But damn, one or two injuries to Samuel and/or Byrd and we would be so mad about cutting him loose. 

Just now, PantherBrew said:

Keep in mind, when cutting him that makes him available to anyone... Saints, Falcons, would probably make room for him.  

With that said, I could definitely understand if they did cut him.  I would prefer to negotiate a pay cut because that would probably be the best of both options for him.  Maybe knock his 5 down to 2.5.  He obviously won't like it, but its better than he would get on the open market right now.  

But damn, one or two injuries to Samuel and/or Byrd and we would be so mad about cutting him loose. 

Just jumped ahead of me.

Agreed on all points.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

We got rid of a WR last season a bit too early.

I would prefer not to do that again.  I'm not all in on the cut him train, but I do wonder if he could be convinced to take a pay cut?

However, we have to remember who we have at GM.

I think in this case, who we have at head coach matters more.

15 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think you keep Smith in the Ginn role. Useful player to have

Thats what you have Wright for. 

Smith has been in the league 1 year longer than Wright

He's a Good athlete, slot, #3 guy. 

And also is already familiar with Norv's system.  Which IMO is a bigger ti groom the young guys to this new offense than some guy who just came in and has no ties to the QB or the staff

Archived