• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So.....tell me about Raleigh.

shinner

ok..so you want to live in BFE....well according to the map...Sanford, NC is too big...so let's go a little smaller...to Robbins, NC...

Robbins is a little bit extreme BFE...Sanford doesn't look too bad (little more than half the size of Cary and loads smaller than Raleigh).

I was joking at first, but Zebulon sounds like what you described. It's got 5,000 people and it's a half hour from Raleigh.

Hmm.....

Move to Pinehurst. Join one of the golf courses. And invite me to play for free every weekend.

I share Al Czervik's opinion of golf...so no chance of free golf from me unless they turn the courses into an open shooting range.

Yes, move to Pinehurst. You and I could be neighbors. My FIL can build you a house. Or you can buy one of his existing homes. We are about an hour from Raleigh.

Sex cookies! :)

Really....I'm way ahead of myself on this, but still it's good info to have. Thanks, all.

I agree with Ini. You get the best of all worlds. Small townish feel, between big cities(Ch and Ral). You can zip over to the mountains or back the other way and down 95 to the beach.

Plus living in those areas you will get more highway money than Charlotte and will always be ahead of the curve(no pun intended).

I-40 between the Triad and the Triangle...I've never seen a complete living room set on the side of the road until I drove that stretch daily. Golf clubs, tables, etc. It's like a flea market going 80.

Somewhere between there and Rocky Mount and then past Rocky Mount going to Greenville, that place is so remote even UFO's don't show up.

If you were to have a wreck it would be 5 days before anyone found you.

I'm more of a small town person....the town I live in now has a population of about 15,000 (and sometimes that's too many people for me). From what I can tell, Cary is over 100K so I'd sooner look for more of a suburb. Hell, a 90 minute drive from Raleigh would be fine with me.

Boring is good...I don't need the nightlife, I don't like to boogie.

absolutely...if the town has a Best Buy, it's probably too big for my liking. I like to drive to those types of towns, get what I need, and get out.

Will do...right now, if asked me to give a percentage of likelihood that this will happen, I'd have to use a decimal point. It's nothing more than speculation by me right now...I have no idea if the company would even take me back. My feeling is that they dumped me because I got hit by the drunk and now see me as damaged goods.

you sound like a real fun guy...lol

Anyway, if you really need a job, do you have a choice?

you sound like a real fun guy...lol

why? because I like to keep to myself, mind my own business and don't run with the herd like a friggin' lemming? I'm mid-40s, married for nearly 20 years and have a couple of kids. I don't need a ton of nightlife. If there are some stadiums in driving distance, I'm plenty happy enough. I'm not out hitting the bars 3 nights a week looking for my turn with the doorknobs at the local meat market.

Anyway, if you really need a job, do you have a choice?

Choice about where I will live? Hell yeah I do.

The job I do covers an area...before I was laid off it was anywhere from Philadelphia (2.5hrs from home) to Baltimore (1hr) to DC (2-2.5hrs depending on time of day). On occasion I'd also go out towards Pittsburgh (about 3-3.5hrs drive). As long as I can get to the edges of my area within 4hrs I can live where I like. That's not to say that I want to live 4hrs away from those "edges" but I have no problem living within 90 minutes of them. That's close enough to not be frustrating and far enough away not to be bothered by crush of humanity that comes from living in a big town.

I have zero interest in living in a town where it takes 20 minutes to go a couple miles to a grocery store.

Anyway...I've gotten some good suggestions in this thread and if a job offer ever happens I'll look into it more closely. Hell, I'm not sure my family would even move down right away. My oldest son is a senior and it would be nicer if he could finish out his last year at the high school he's attended from the start (especially as I doubt there would be any tuition reimbursement). It would probably be easier for me to find a room to rent or maybe a small apt until the school year was over. I don't really know. It's a lot to think about...in this profession I've moved 6 or 7 times in 20 years. I kinda thought I was done with the moving experience. I like where I live a lot and really don't have any desire to relocate....but I have a family to take care of so I'm willing to move to where the work is. I won't be happy to leave here.

I agree with Ini. You get the best of all worlds. Small townish feel, between big cities(Ch and Ral).

that's the perfect description of what I'd be looking for. If I really need something that will most likely be found in a bigger city, I'd rather drive 30 mins to an hour to go get it, than live there.

When we lived in GA, we lived in a dinky little town named LaGrange. It had the basics of what we needed but no real specialty types of stores...maybe a couple in the "mall" which was very small. If we really needed anything special we could drive about an hour to Columbus or about 75 mins to Atlanta. Later on we moved a little further north to Newnan. It was still kinda small then...not a lot different than LaGrange....basic stores, no mall but much closer to Atlanta where we could really get anything we needed. Last I was in Newnan it had really changed. The exit we lived off of was pretty barren except for our apt complex....now you can't see the apartments for all the big box stores that moved in. Urban sprawl do they call that? Anyway....just rambling a bit :)

Archived